What's new

Need Help with a Vintage Straight

I'm currently travelling in Ukraine, and at one of the local markets in Lviv I came across this straight.
$IMG_3172.jpg$IMG_3173.jpg$IMG_3174.jpg$IMG_3175.jpg$IMG_3176.jpg

it is genuine bone handle, and while we can't exactly discern what the handle material is, we are leaning towards ivory. The markings on the front of shank say Regilo, and the back you see Swedish-Steel Solingen Germany.

Was hoping some of the more expirenced gents on here could help me out with maybe identifying this razor, and letting me know what I would need to do to restore it.

Doesn't look like bone or ivory to me. Can't see any shraeger lines, which ivory has, or any little pin holes, which bone typically sports. Pins are collared, which is typically not done for ivory, but is for bone.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like bone or ivory to me. Can't see any shraeger lines, which ivory has, or any little pin holes, which bone typically sports. Pins are collared, which is typically note done for ivory, but is for bone.

Have to agree and then there is the broken blade at the toe.

Bob

Have to agree and then there is the broken blade at the toe.

Bob

I'm not worried about the blade, as I bought it with the intention of replacing it. Luckily I paid less then what a grande Starbucks Coffee costs in Canada for this.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The blade IS the razor. The scales, interesting though they are, are the afterthought.

Someone has thoroughly abused that razor. Don't know if you can make it look presentable or not, but you cn make it shave just fine. Cut the nose off the blade, make it a shorty.

Scales look like celluloid. Sooner or later you will probably get cell rot on the blade. Keeping it protected with a coating of petroleum jelly or motor oil will help but likely wont prevent it. Maybe you should send it to me for proper disposal. :eek:\

The blade IS the razor. The scales, interesting though they are, are the afterthought.

\

As soon as saw this, I knew I would be replacing the blade and I actually have a replacement blade lined up for it. It was around 4 Canadian dollars for the razor, so I'm not to bothered by throwing out the blade, as it was the scales that drew me.

Sometimes the scales are the desirable bit on those molded/painted celluloid scaled razors. Some patterns are extremely rare

I'm not worried about the blade, as I bought it with the intention of replacing it. Luckily I paid less then what a grande Starbucks Coffee costs in Canada for this.

That's good, didn't know your objective was the scales and not a usable razor. Not a bad price for replacement scales at all.

Bob

Top Bottom