What's new

Need help to ID a brush

I made my first in the wild score today. After hitting several antique shops in the city, I found one who actually had some shaving gear. His prices were outrageous (user grade Techs for $50) but among his brushes I found one interesting piece that I was able to talk him down on. It's a vintage butterscotch handle, and I can still make out that it says on one side: 2 PURE BADGER HANDMADE IN ENGLAND. On the reverse side it simply says "ASCOL" in quotes. I'm attaching some pics and would greatly appreciate input, as I can't find anything on ASCOL when I'm searching for shaving brushes.
$SDC11633.jpg$SDC11642.jpg$SDC11641.jpg

Maybe the "AS" stands for Alexander Simpson? It looks something like a modern Colonel X2L.

I think the lettering style would be odd for a vintage Simpson though: it seems to be stamped or engraved, rather than lampblack.

In any case it looks great. Are you planning a reknot?

I'm definitely planning to replace the knot. I have a couple of cheaper brushes to practice on before I endeavour to refinish this one.

Interesting theory on the ASCOL.

I'd guess he's right and it's short for A. Simpson Colonel? Is that the shape of a Colonel? I don't even remember.

edit: Oh Mblake already said it is... there ya go. Yeah I'd say it's a good bet it's short of A. Simpson Colonel or something along those lines. Definitely looks like a vintage Simp to me.

Top Bottom