What's new

Need help starting up

Hi all iv been thinking about getting into brush making.
How would I go about this, I know I need a lathe exct but can someone give me a run down of everything I need to get up and going pref on the cheaper end as I don’t want to spend a mint to make my own brushes.
Thanks in advance

I'd recommend a variable speed lathe. I like the Jet brand (~$600), but maybe take a look at the smaller Grizzly lathes if you want to spend less.

You'll need a few cutting tools like a gouge, skew and parting tool (I like Robert Sorby tools).

Your lathe probably won't come with a nice chuck, so check out Teknatool Nova chucks. They are not high-end by any means, but solid enough to get the job done and a good value.

Then of course get yourself some high quality sandpaper, safety glasses, calipers, forstner drill bit, grinder/sharpener, etc.

I think you could put all this together for somewhere around $1000. It's a fun and rewarding hobby.

I'd recommend a variable speed lathe. I like the Jet brand (~$600), but maybe take a look at the smaller Grizzly lathes if you want to spend less.

You'll need a few cutting tools like a gouge, skew and parting tool (I like Robert Sorby tools).

Your lathe probably won't come with a nice chuck, so check out Teknatool Nova chucks. They are not high-end by any means, but solid enough to get the job done and a good value.

Then of course get yourself some high quality sandpaper, safety glasses, calipers, forstner drill bit, grinder/sharpener, etc.

I think you could put all this together for somewhere around $1000. It's a fun and rewarding hobby.
Well it’s funny you said teknatool thats the one I was looking at tbh and iv found a lathe for 500 aud it’s a cabertec 500w mini, can’t remember to bed lengeth but I plan on getting it all bit by bit like I get the lathe now in a little bit I get the chuck,tail stock bits,last thing I’m going to get I think is chisels unless I get the Cheepo carbide set one off bay.

Face shield! I just use an inexpensive Harbor Freight one, but I’m glad I didn’t just go with my safety glasses.

Also, I really love turning brush handles using internal expanding collets in the pre-drilled socket for the knot. Check out Beall I-X collets. I mount mine in a 1/2” router bit extender and the mount that in my Nova chuck.

5FC21B51-BF28-43DA-845B-488468A19F7E.jpeg

424EAB5E-4AB1-4D0D-A195-4406D8E63C6A.jpeg

Face shield! I just use an inexpensive Harbor Freight one, but I’m glad I didn’t just go with my safety glasses.

Also, I really love turning brush handles using internal expanding collets in the pre-drilled socket for the knot. Check out Beall I-X collets. I mount mine in a 1/2” router bit extender and the mount that in my Nova chuck.

View attachment 1059991
View attachment 1059990
I was thinking about going down the road of a screw chuck but I think the collet idea will Ben better I won’t need to drill a hole.

Graydog

Biblical Innards

Top Bottom