What's new

Need help selecting a strop

Gentlemen:

I've been using a straight almost a year, and the more I use it, the less I'm using a DE. In short, I'm getting proficient.

I've been using a cheap starter strop I was given with my first straight. its inexpensive leather alongside a denim strop.

I believe it is time to upgrade. I need some help and I don't want to spend over $50. What do you recommend for a good strop at that price that will last.

Also, here's been my stropping method. I've recently forgone any stropping on the canvas, and I start my shave with about 30 passes on the strop (a pass is one back and forth pass).

Thanks.

to help with the jargon, a pass is one direction or the other. A lap is up and back.

It’s my belief that when you deal with a good guy like Tony Miller, you’ll also be helping others by default.

72EC7D7B-485D-4E79-B729-F3D9BA259D93.jpeg

I understand picking up a piece of horsehide by way of comparison, but why more than one of the other three?

I originally wanted just 2 cotton pasting strops. One for, Cr2O3 other for Fe2O3. And the Old No. 2.

I already have an Ezra Arthur horsehide strop, and wanted to get the Old No. 2. Thought it would be nice to have a Steer hide Strop to compare to the horsehide.

After thinking (too much, as I often do) about it, balancing out the amount of time I have left in the apocalyptic situation we may currently be in, and for just a nickel more. All things (in my life) considered. I could add two “8 to 9 oz. Premium Steer hide Leather strops, that have a nice light draw”, to my cotton pasting strops. As expected, they are a sweet combination, and I don’t have to worry so much about cross contaminating.

My current Horsehide has a couple of nicks, one pretty bad. Thus the horsehide blank.

I originally wanted just 2 cotton pasting strops. One for, Cr2O3 other for Fe2O3. And the Old No. 2.

I already have an Ezra Arthur horsehide strop, and wanted to get the Old No. 2. Thought it would be nice to have a Steer hide Strop to compare to the horsehide.

After thinking (too much, as I often do) about it, balancing out the amount of time I have left in the apocalyptic situation we may currently be in, and for just a nickel more. All things (in my life) considered. I could add two “8 to 9 oz. Premium Steer hide Leather strops, that have a nice light draw”, to my cotton pasting strops. As expected, they are a sweet combination, and I don’t have to worry so much about cross contaminating.

My current Horsehide has a couple of nicks, one pretty bad. Thus the horsehide blank.

Thanks for the explanation. I can see the point behind having a dedicated leather strop to follow the pasted cotton strop to account for possible contamination. I've done that with some homemade pieces myself. But from the picture, I was wondering why what looked to be three pieces of vegetable-tanned cow and one of horse, thinking that it only had to do with routine, day to day stropping. Good luck with your pasted strop endeavors. I'm a fan of pasted hanging strops.

I only see one Horse leather there Alan.
Is the one with the handle Horse as well?

No Paul. What I saw was three pieces of vegetable-tanned cow and one of horse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom