What's new

Need Help Please...

I am need of help from people that are smarter and know more than me. I begun wetshaving a while ago with proraso and a sensor excel in attempt to get rid of irritation or whatever is on my neck.
I have quite the shaving set for a beginner, although I’ve been wet shaving for a few months. I just recently got my Merkur long handle classic and letterk's sample pack of blades:

proxy.php

But I’m still managing to have skin problems. I’m 21 years old, so not too old for acne, but have some sort of irritation, ingrown hairs or something on my neck:

proxy.php

I get pimples still on my face/forehead but nothing i can't manage. I haven't really shaved with the Merkur, as I think I may want to let me beard grow out for a week or so. Will this help if in fact they are ingrown hairs?

Do I have acne or a rash on my neck? If so, what should I do?
What do you guys think about this product? Is it for me?

proxy.php

Thanks guys for whatever advice you can give. :confused: :frown:

Anyone know a good dermatologist in the phoenix, AZ area?

I'm assuming that those irritations don't go away if giving your skin a rest for a few days.

I can't speak to that AOS kit, but an idea that came to mind is Witch Hazel. I don't see any on your counter there....you might give it a whirl.

If you've tried that and it didn't work, my next plan of attack would be TendSkin. I used to get bumps like that on the back of my neck when I was younger. (never did figure out why...sweat maybe, plus I used to wear collared shirt and blazer every day to school as required dress code) The TendSkin would zap it away overnight!

Hello Matt

I am not sure anyone could really say what going on with your neck 100% based on a photo. A quick trip to the dermatologist is never a bad idea and while there you can be screened for any other problems.

If they are ingrown hairs correct use of a DE will give you some relief,add some witch hazel as suggested and I would add an alum block-its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory.
Take care

I'll second the suggestion to see a dermatologist to determine the nature of the problem. There could be any number of factors involved from diet to genetics and everything in between.

I have one tip: Don't shave against the grain. Opposite to what you read here, it is never advised in barbers manuals and can cause quite a lot problems...

Nenad

As far as I can tell- this is the growth patterns of my face:

proxy.php

it doesn't help matters that its full of crazy grothe patterns.

Also- anyone know if Proraso can lead to ingrown hair because of the Menthol? Thanks-

I agree with the Witch Hazel suggestion.

One of the reasons that I began using a DE and careful skin prep was terrible ingrown hairs. Although the situation improved greatly after starting down the wet shaving/DE road, two other things really helped clear things up: Thayers Witch Hazel and a really good moisturizer on the neck. I've used a couple of the latter, but Nancy Boy really seems to have some "healing" properties that help out a lot.

As an aside, I was somewhat skeptical about claims that multi-blade cartridges contributed to ingrown hairs. I now have no doubt that they were the primary source of the problem for me.

There are some great posts here and on SMF.com about ingrown hairs. You owe it to yourself to read them.

Good luck,
Brian

mpisarcik said:
Do I have acne or a rash on my neck? If so, what should I do?
What do you guys think about this product? Is it for me?
proxy.php

I can't specifically tell you what your problem is. As pointed out could be any number of things... There could be something that your using that your skin is sensitive to. Could be some balm or something your using that may be clogging your pores, etc... Could even be your diet, etc...

HOWEVER... I will comment on the AOS stuff you asked about. First, AOS stuff is generally the same stuff you can get anywhere else, just three times the price and with their own label.

Let's look at what that kit has to offer...

Shaving cream and shaving brush... Well, you already have plenty of those, so that isn't gonna help in any way.

It has a pre-shave oil, which really isn't a good idea to use with a brush anyway, but regardless any good pre-shave will work just as well. I use proraso pre-post, but there's plenty you can try.

Also it has after-shave balm. Again, you've got plenty of those and truthfully there's even some really good ones available in walmart, target, etc...

The DVD... Well, I won't even comment on that... ;)

The "poker stick". :lol: This is apparently so that when you do get an ingrown hair you can "poke" it and pull the hair through or something... Near as I can tell anyway (guess I need to watch that DVD... :001_tt2: )

Anyway, the ONLY thing in this kit that you don't seem to already have is that fascinating "Ingrown Hair Night Cream"... Ummm from the looks of the label it's probably just a moisturizing lotion (think keri, curel, etc...) with that wonder "White Willow Bark Extract"... Wow! That must be natures very own cure for ingrown hairs... OR... It could be the source for salycilic (sp?) acid. Salycilic acid is ASPRIN.... White willow bark is how asprin was discovered in the first place...

Now on one hand, I'd say that asprin isn't gonna do crap for ingrown hairs. On the other hand, there are other products available for ingrown hairs that also contain salycilic acid.. (i.e. Tendskin).

My GUESS would be that it doesn't do anything to PREVENT the ingrown hairs... Rather, just as you would expect asprin to, it's going to "sooth" it and make it not feel so bad, at the same time helping it heal a little quicker. The moisurizing lotion will help keep the skin soft so it can "give way" to the hair easier...

So the point of all this is... No, I don't think that AOS kit is going to do you a bit of good...

As stated, wouldn't hurt to see a dermatoligist.

In the mean time.... Take a couple of days OFF from shaving... Let your skin heal itself...

Then make sure your not doing against the grain passes for now... Keep your skin moisturized at all times... Make sure you always keep a very sharp blade... (preferably use the DE... a cartridge razor can contribute because it "lifts" the hair before it cuts it off...) Try using one set of products (pre-shave, cream, aftershave, etc).. If the irritation comes back, let it heal, then try using a DIFFERENT set of products and see if it still comes back...

Last but not least, I notice the Talc on your counter... I've heard some people having irritation issues with that. Do you always use that? If so, try leaving that out too.

Hope it helps...

I had similar problems. And still do some times. Let's face it shaving is more irritating to some folks skin than others. You can do some things to help reduce or prevent the irritation.

1. Dump the multi blade it is causing the most damage. Personally I like the adjustable de's b/c they can be dialed way back.
2. Prep... hot towel method and use your Proraso Pre/Post
3. Shave with the grain for about 3-4 weeks, then you can start with other passes.
4. Then finally nuke the water for your brush 2 mins then plop the brush and razor in at the same time. The hot water will kill any bugs that might be living on the razor. Once a week or when ever you change the blade clean the razor really good with alcohol.

I do not believe menthol causes ingrowns. Maybe it irritates your skin though and causes you to breakout? Test it on your arm.

bnett said:
I agree with the Witch Hazel suggestion.

One of the reasons that I began using a DE and careful skin prep was terrible ingrown hairs. Although the situation improved greatly after starting down the wet shaving/DE road, two other things really helped clear things up: Thayers Witch Hazel and a really good moisturizer on the neck. I've used a couple of the latter, but Nancy Boy really seems to have some "healing" properties that help out a lot.

As an aside, I was somewhat skeptical about claims that multi-blade cartridges contributed to ingrown hairs. I now have no doubt that they were the primary source of the problem for me.

There are some great posts here and on SMF.com about ingrown hairs. You owe it to yourself to read them.

Good luck,
Brian

I will second bnett's suggestions. I had/have similar outbreaks on my face and a mixture of witch hazel, Nancy Boy moisturizing creme and the talc (you have on your counter) really helped but it took a week or so of light shaves. I would apply the talc heavy at night but that might have just been overkill.

I'd suggest getting some of the Thayer Rose Witch Hazel. It has no alcohol to dry out your face, and has aloe and vit E which is a great plus. :)

I think there is a fair chance that salycilic acid might help. With healing the ingrowns, that is, NOT with preventing them. I have no idea if it actually acts as a topical anesthetic or not (I do not actually think so, but who knows). But it is used for acne, because it helps dissolve or otherwise get rid of dead skin cells (that can clog pores). By the same token, it might help break down the swollen nastiness of an ingrown hair bump. But it sure isn't gonna do what you really want, which is prevent them. And besides, there are cheaper sources than AOS for the stuff.

That looks preety familiar....I had the same thing and occasionaly a few pop up from time usually when I dont shave at least every other day. When I started using a Bic metal as a trainer before buying a HD mine dissapeared. Most likely your razor!!

Top Bottom