What's new

Need help picking a brush

There are lots of talk of different brushes but its hard to find the differences between some of the brushes. I need help picking a brush in the $60-$120 range. These are the brushes I've been looking at.

The Shavemac Silver Tip 23mm Tortoise$97
The Savile Row Super Badger SR-212 30mm$82
Simpsons PJ2 Super$154 (too expensive but I'd consider it)

Which of those brushes are the best for the value? I really don't wanna spend an extra $50 between brushes that have marginal to no difference. I might do that in the future but right now I want a decent brush for the money. Are there any other brushes I should look at that cost around $80 or so.

btw a couple of terms I see around that I can't figure out. What is QED? I keep seeing people with QED rose hydrosol. Also what does SMP mean?

bigDee,
First of all, Welcometo B&B.

What brush/s have you used at this point or will this be your first brush?

I bet you're going to get one or two people recommending the PJ2. :wink:

If you're looking for a very soft brush, you'll probably like the Shavemac. I have one...it's very luxurious, but I wish it were a tiny bit stiffer. Incidentally, it's going back to Bernd because it's losing hairs.

I'm also looking for another brush that falls into your price range, and I'm considering the Duke 3 and and the Rooney medium super. Maybe these are worth a look for you as well.

All of these brush makers are very good, but do you really want a 30mm brush? I dont know if this will be your first brush, but if it is, I would suggest going with a smaller knot size, maybe 22mm - 26mm.
Cheers, DJ.
Oh, and welcome to the B&B.

soulshine said:
are you planning to use the brush with soap, cream or both?

s~s
Which one is better? From what I have researched so far, I only plan on using soap.

bigDee said:
I have never shaved in my life :eek:
In that case...
All three of the brushes that you mention are good brushes, and each of the three has characteristics that are uniquely different from the others. As this will be your first brush, you might consider going with the Crabtree & Evelyn best badger brush. It is a value priced brush that performs very well and can give you a nice introduction into wet shaving. It will allow you "try out" wet shaving without as big of an initial investment. If, however, you are more interested in one of these more expensive brushes, my own personal preferences lean toward the PJ and then the Shavemac.

Welcome to B&B!

Well, you've obviously read through LOTS of information and have made some excellent choices based on your first post.

If you have yet to shave, I might recommend starting with a slightly less expensive but still excellent brush choice--the Savile Row 108 or 204 or the Crabtree & Evelyn best badger. All are a bit less $ than what you mentioned above, and will produce great lather without a big investment.

I'd also suggest you consider purchasing a "popular" cream, like the Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil Shave Cream, to start with--creams are *generally* easier to lather "out of the box," and still give a great shave. Nothing against soaps--they are acknowledged to provide closer shaves--but they can be trickier to work with at the beginning stages of wet shaving.

Just my 2 cents--but whatever you do, let us know how you're doing!

I could be wrong, but from the posts I've read the consensus seems to be that:

• creams produce thicker, smoother lather and a better cushion on the face

• soaps produce a wetter, slicker lather and allow a closer shave

Any other comments on this? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?:wink:

mrob said:
I could be wrong, but from the posts I've read the consensus seems to be that:

• creams produce thicker, smoother lather and a better cushion on the face

• soaps produce a wetter, slicker lather and allow a closer shave

Any other comments on this? Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?:wink:
I would agree with this. Also, creams are sometimes credited with having greater moisturizing properties.

Of course, there are always some rule breakers. There are some creams that perform like soaps and vice versa.

S

Sam

Big Dee, the 30mm knotted brush is fine, but it is a large brush and I would not recommend it for a first brush.

The Crabtree and Evelyn brush is really a little gem and a great value. I had it as my first brush, and though I gave it to my father, he loves it.

Shavemac makes some great brushes as well. You will spend a little more, but it is probably the best value line of all the brushes we regularly talk about. There are smaller, more custom-like brush makers that can make a brush for about the same prices, but the Silvertips are a great line for Shavemac and the prices relative to some of the bigger "names" can not really be matched.

The Saville Row brushes are also great. They used to be made, it was said, by Vulfix, and when I found they were carried by QED, unfortunately, I had wanted brushes that did not splay open as much as Vulfixes are said to. Now that Saville Row is said to be made by Shavemac, well, they are some hidden gems as well.

I like a bigger knot than say 21mm, so I would say go with the PJ3 if I were going to recommend the Simpsons. There is a Duke 3 that is in that price range and maybe a Chubby 1 you could consider from SImpsons

Sam

bigDee said:

I am not sure what it does, I think it is an astringent, please correct me if I am wrong.

I would imagine it is under the Other Products page of QED. The site is hard to navigate, but from what people on this site have said, the man wo runs it is very good to work with. I think his name is Charles. If you have trouble finding something on his site, send him an email. From what has been written here, he is very good about answering questions and responding to email.

I don't want to go all out, and even though this is my first brush, I'd really like a silver tip.

Kyle said:
In that case...
All three of the brushes that you mention are good brushes, and each of the three has characteristics that are uniquely different from the others. As this will be your first brush, you might consider going with the Crabtree & Evelyn best badger brush. It is a value priced brush that performs very well and can give you a nice introduction into wet shaving. It will allow you "try out" wet shaving without as big of an initial investment. If, however, you are more interested in one of these more expensive brushes, my own personal preferences lean toward the PJ and then the Shavemac.

I agree with Kyle. If you've never used a brush before, then I suggest starting with the C&E Best Badger. It's a great brush to start out with.

Top Bottom