What's new

Need help picking a brush

I have a very nice silver tip brush and still use the Crabtree and Evelyn Edwin Jagger $35 brush most of the time. I love it for soaps! More expensive is not always better.
1. Gillette SS or adjustable(blade of choice, I recommend Feather)
2. C&E brush
3. Mama Bear, Honeybee, or Col. Conk soap

Sam said:
I like a bigger knot than say 21mm, so I would say go with the PJ3 if I were going to recommend the Simpsons.
Sam
?? Isn't the PJ3 like over $200? Where is the cheapest I can get it for?

Ok you guys have really swayed me into getting the C&E brush. I think it'll be better if I got this brush so I'll have another $50 to spend on creams. But I'm still tempted to go for the silver tip. Classic shaving said the silver tip is MUCH better than the best badger. It's hard to decide. I guess it would be better to get the best badger now, so that when I do upgrade it'll really feel like an upgrade with a big improvement. But then again I want the silver tip now!

bigDee said:
Ok you guys have really swayed me into getting the C&E brush. I think it'll be better if I got this brush so I'll have another $50 to spend on creams. But I'm still tempted to go for the silver tip. Classic shaving said the silver tip is MUCH better than the best badger. It's hard to decide. I guess it would be better to get the best badger now, so that when I do upgrade it'll really feel like an upgrade with a big improvement. But then again I want the silver tip now!

bigDee (do you have a name?)

The C&E brush is a great brush. I use it frequently. But from it, you can learn. Once you have learned how to use the brush, you can decide what to look for in your next brush (and yes there will be more brushes). Do you want longer bristles, softer bristles, larger handle, heavier handle, etc. So you have the advantage of getting a brush that you can always enjoyt, but will also give you direction.

Randy

I agree with Randy's comments. While my personal preference is for the Shavemac line it makes good sense to pick a cheaper first brush to help you get an idea of what you perfer. The C&E best is quite a nice brush in it's own regard too.
Cheers,
Jeff

BigDee:

I tried posting this yesterday but just then my ISP cratered. :frown:

I've wetshaved for over 40 years but only recently started using a brush.

I followed the advice of gentlemen here and bought a C&E Best Badger. I'm glad I did. I think you will be similarly pleased.

That doesn't mean I won't get another because I know I will. You too probably. But think of it this way:

;regardless of what you get it'll be an improvement to what you currently have so in that regard the C&E is just fine

; the C&E is widely regarded as superior to some silver tip brushes when used with soap so if you find you like using soaps you have a winner

; even if you become primarily a cream user the C&E is good enough to use for the rest of your shaving career

; by getting some experience with the C&E you will enjoy the silver tip that you subsequently buy that much more because now you have something to compare it to

; and finally as has been already mentioned by getting experience with the C&E you will know from your own experience what you want in a brush - right now you are limited to our ideas.

In any event, welcome and enjoy :smile:

Best regards,
Bob

bigDee said:
Which one is better? From what I have researched so far, I only plan on using soap.

bigDee,

That's what we all say! if you are only going to use soap( yeah, right :rolleyes: ) there is a Crabtree & evelyn brush that does well; when u r ready 2 go 2 creams, that same brush will still work 4 u-plus, its only $35.

Welcome to B & B!

Marty

My bad it must have slipped but I don't plan on using soap at all. I ment to say I only plan on using cream.

My final decision is to get the C&E brush. Thx for everyone's help.

You'll love it! I think it's the only brush you'll ever need. Of course, the only way to know that is to try other brushes and then realize that they aren't any better, just different. :w00t:

Top Bottom