What's new

Need Help on US Navy imprinted Straight Razors

straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war.jpg straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war.jpg straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-2.jpg Good Afternoon and Hoping you can help me..

I obtained two straight razors marked US NAVY and US NAVY RAZOR on their respective blades and both have stamped maker marks on their ricasso. Each of them appear to be in very good to excellent condition but do require a cleaning and a honing if used. I've gotten some information on Razor 1 and nothing on Razor 2, which I hope some members here can help with. I am totally ignorant on straight razors and don't even know what material the scales are made of.

Razor 1: It is stamped "US NAVY." on the blade as was the regulation at the time as well as maker marked on the ricasso: "B.J. EYRE & Co, Late W. Greaves & Sons, Challenge Razor, Sheffield" It also has the original case which is also maker marked like the razor itself. Both appear to be in very good condition. I believe this dates to the early 1850s.

Razor 2: It is stamped "US NAVY RAZOR" with a design around the text on the blade as was the regulation at the time and is maker marked on the ricasso: "J.M. WALKER, U.S. NAVY RAZOR, NEW YORK". I cant find any information as to this maker, or perhaps distributor. Of note here is that the imprint on the blade almost appears to be "holographic" though it is not! You can only see the text and design by tilting the blade and then it kinda jumps out at you - when running your finger across the blade where the text is you cannot feel any ridges or any impressions where the imprint is.

I'm posting some pix here as well..

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Attachments

• straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-usn.jpg
    straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-usn.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 45
  • straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-makermark.jpg
    straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-makermark.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 43
  • straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-usn-original-case-back.jpg
    straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-usn-original-case-back.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 41
  • straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-usn-original-case-open.jpg
    straight-razor-us-navy-jb-eyre&co-civil-war-usn-original-case-open.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 39
  • usnavy-straight-razor-jh-walker-new-york-open3.jpg
    usnavy-straight-razor-jh-walker-new-york-open3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 41
  • usnavy-straight-razor-jh-walker-new-york-imprint.jpg
    usnavy-straight-razor-jh-walker-new-york-imprint.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 40
  • usnavy-straight-razor-jh-walker-new-york-makermark2.jpg
    usnavy-straight-razor-jh-walker-new-york-makermark2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 46

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Welcome to BnB. Nice looking razors. Get them honed up and have a shave!

thanks! i'm seeing if anyone can help me learning any historical information on them and what the scales are made of. I am completely ignorant on straight razors. I collect naval antiques which is how I came across these.

Here's the one "fact" I have to offer. The US armed forces contracted with many different razor manufacturers. I don't know if the razors were issued or sold to service members. If someone knows I'd appreciate some insights.

These items stamped "US NAVY" were typically made to regulation/standardization and purchased by the government in bulk and then issued to the local naval command who in turn issued them to individual sailors. Typically receipts needed to be signed between the local command and the sailor. If the sailor lost their regulation gear they needed to pay for a replacement. The gear consisted of uniforms, hats, shoes, boots, bo'sun knives/whistles, razors, shaving kits, ditty boxes (late 19th century), etc etc.

I am totally ignorant on straight razors and don't even know what material the scales are made of.
I'm quite a far cry from being an expert myself, but really old scales tend to be horn, bone, wood, or ivory. From the pictures I'd say you've got horn. Occasionally I'm fooled by crusty synthetic materials when I'm going by pictures, but I'm pretty confident this time.

Here's the one "fact" I have to offer. The US armed forces contracted with many different razor manufacturers. I don't know if the razors were issued or sold to service members. If someone knows I'd appreciate some insights.
I had a razor that just said wartime, or war special or wore something LOL I never knew if it was in a war or if it just said that on it? you wouldn't happen to know anything about razors with something like that stamped on them would you?

I had a razor that just said wartime, or war special or wore something LOL I never knew if it was in a war or if it just said that on it? you wouldn't happen to know anything about razors with something like that stamped on them would you?
Manufactures, big and small, often "decorated" blade faces to commemorate events, wars, etc... To the best of my knowledge this razor was not purchased / distributed to any armed forces. That said, they probably sold them to people who served in various campaigns.

I have an 1898, probably Spanish American War, commemorative razor. Here are the scales that came with the blade... Definitely not the originals.
1-Original Oak Branch Scales with Nail Pins.jpg

Here's the blade as I found it.
3-Army-Navy-Imperial Original Blade 2.jpg

Here's the same razor after I worked on the blade and made it some striped-maple scales. I left some of the patina on the metal. It's a fine blade and delivers a great shave.
DSC_6086 - Army Navy Beauty Shot.jpg

My first thought would be that these were stamped US Navy for marketing purposes, not so much because they were 'issued'. I have seen USMC, Army, USN, and a lot of other marks used as an advertising gimmick.
Of course they could be contract blades. Maybe write to the Navy and ask if there is any record of those mfgrs having any sort of contract to produce razors for the USN.

Top Bottom