What's new

Need Help - Nib Choice for Non-Cursive (Printing) Writers?

I'm getting ready to order my next B&B Essential Pen here:

Essential Pen Part II

I want to choose the "right" nib, especially since we have the awesome opportunity to select a custom nib at the same price (thank guys!!!) and am wondering, am I the only person who uses fountain pens that doesn't write in cursive style? I've always printed everything except my signature, at least since the 5th grade. I'm not looking for advice on how to learn to write cursive. I just want to know, for any of you who also only print, does it make any sense to consider a stub nib? All of the nibs I have in my FPs now have standard nibs, varying from EF, F, and M, and I love them all. I've tried italic nibs, and don't really care for their scratchiness. But I'm wondering if a stub nib might also work as a smooth writer for someone like me who prefers smooth writers to use for printing? Or should I just stay with standard nibs? Most of my writing is fast, taking notes and writing down thoughts at work.

You ever use a pencil ?, when you do do you prefer a very sharp point, or one that has been worn down some ?, I like mediums if i know il be printing myself the thicker lines help show off ink, and with printing i find its okay as it doesnt get all cluttered looking for me the way it can with my cursive

With the Essential, I got a medium stub, mostly because I didn't have that exact kind of nib on any other pen. It leaves a not excessively thick line, and is nice and smooth. My handwriting is generally on the large side but I can write small if necessary; I might not pick this nib for writing in a small notebook. Although I generally use cursive, I'll print if I want to make certain that everybody can read it, not just those who use cursive themselves. I can't think of any reason why the medium stub would be less suitable for printing than for longhand.

However, I don't really get a lot of line variation, with this. Some, but not like you might get with an italic.

Last edited:
You ever use a pencil ?, when you do do you prefer a very sharp point, or one that has been worn down some ?, I like mediums if i know il be printing myself the thicker lines help show off ink, and with printing i find its okay as it doesnt get all cluttered looking for me the way it can with my cursive

I occasionally use a pencil, and generally prefer a broader point rather than a very sharp point, unless I have a specific need for a very fine line.

With the Essential, I got a medium stub, mostly because I didn't have that exact kind of nib on any other pen. It leaves a not excessively thick line, and is nice and smooth. My handwriting is generally on the large side but I can write small if necessary; I might not pick this nib for writing in a small notebook. Although I generally use cursive, I'll print if I want to make certain that everybody can read it, not just those who use cursive themselves. I can't think of any reason why the medium stub would be less suitable for printing than for longhand.

However, I don't really get a lot of line variation, with this. Some, but not like you might get with an italic.

I would be satisfied without a lot of line variation. I'd rather have a lesser amount of line variation and retain the same amount of smoothness as with a standard nib.

Thanks, it's always good to see examples!

Thanks for your help, gents!

Broad may be a bit big for everyday, sounds to me like Medium may be your nib of choice Randy, they tend to run smooth and give a usable sized line for everyday. The only problem i have ever had, which isnt much of one at all, is when used on cheap printer paper they will feather out a bit making the line a bit thicker, but not to the point it was an issue reading my words, or getting to big to keep things clean looking. But if you want to take advantage of a custom grind, you may also consider a Medium Stub, you will get some line variation, but stubs are rounded at there ends unlike a proper cursive italic, so you can still have a very smooth nib, I havent used on of the FC ones though so someone else would have to comment on how smooth they are, I do know my 1.1 MonteVerde stub is one of my smoother nibs and is always my go to pen for letter writing

Franklin-Christoph was at the Baltimore Pen Show this weekend, and I got to play a bit with their nib testers (they have inked-up samples of all their nibs available for sampling). Every one I tried was butter smooth and easy writing...even the italics, which frequently can be a bit scratchy because of the sharp corners. If I had to choose one, it would probably be a M Stub, but I could live with any of them, except for maybe the needle point.

Thank you very much, guys. I ordered the medium stub today, and am really looking forward to trying it out.

strop

Now half as wise
Randy, I think you'll be happy with the M stub. When I'm just jotting quick notes to myself, or something that will be tossed, I often use a hybrid writing style that I've developed over the years that is a mix of cursive and printing. I think the stub will add just a bit of interest and flair.

Top Bottom