What's new

Need help. My wife and I have verry different taste

Based on what you wrote, I would recommend checking out these mainstream fragrances:
- The entire Chanel line-up specifically Bleu de Chanel, Egoiste Platinum, Antaeus, Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Allure Homme Sport
- YSL La Nuit de l'Homme
- The venerable Terre d'Hermes - Orange (slightly darker/bitter) note up top that she appears to favor blended with a woody, vetiver-ish dry down that you would appreciate
The Terre d' Hommes seems interesting for sure, I think I will give it a whirl

you'll love it. The parfum is only $92 on fragrancenet for the 2.5 oz bottle.

Went to Saks and smelled both the original Terre D ' Hermes and the Terre D' Hermes "Eau Tres Fraiche". I liked the latter better so I picked it up along with some Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and a sample of Guerlain Vetiver. I loved the smell of all of these, we shall see what my wife thinks. Hopefully we have a winner!

will report results as they come in
$image.jpg

Went to Saks and smelled both the original Terre D ' Hermes and the Terre D' Hermes "Eau Tres Fraiche". I liked the latter better so I picked it up along with some Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and a sample of Guerlain Vetiver. I loved the smell of all of these, we shall see what my wife thinks. Hopefully we have a winner!

View attachment 504186
Actually just bought both vetivers the other day. Perfect time of year to wear them.

Hmm, I see the difference in what you like.

But luckily for you, there are some scents that fall between being something just a little bit sweet and fresh, while still being dark and aromatic.

You might want to try the Intense version of the YSL L'homme. Also, Dior Homme Parfume Intense and Valentino Uomo might be options for you.

Order 50 samples, try one every evening on your wrist (you should never buy a fragrance if you haven't tried it on your body) and let the spouse have her say, you'll find something eventually.

I'd wear what you like unless it is something she absolutely despises. Then I'd still wear that scent once in a while but avoid it during times you were intentionally spending time together - like going out to dinner or something. If she buys you something or you have something she really likes, wear that once in a while too, as a compliment to her tastes.

For the most part, despite your laudable intentions, it sounds like you two don't have identical tastes in men's fragrance. It is you after all that is wearing the fragrance. I doubt your wife is an unreasonable woman. You should wear what you like and let her wear what she likes.

Thankfully Aventus is my wife's all time favorite and she loves it. As for vetiver's we both like the l'occitane. She hated the Guerline.
I too say wear what you like and sometimes mix in one or two that the wife likes.

I'll come at this from the other side. The majority of perfumes I like, my fiancé thinks smell "powdery" and to an extent they do. I also tend to like 'old lady scents' which is unfair, but, I like things like Calvin Klein Obsession (which is an amazing scent on me too), Chanel No 5, Opium, etc. He does not like any of them. I didn't wear scents for a few years because of it or only when he wasn't around. We ended up going shopping and he bought me a scent he liked Burberry London. I don't mind it, it's not my favorite but I wear it the most. I was gifted a bottle of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle and he likes that as well, so it's been added to the rotation.

My absolute favorite scents though come from a company called Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. It is a collector addicts dream come true. They sell scents in 'imp' size which is essentially the small sample sizes so you can test them out.

They have quite a few that are gender neutral, scents with dragon's blood, amber, vetiver, and spices. One of my favorite manly scents is Dorian. I wear it myself but it smells phenomenal on male skin.

Compromise is key though. When we went scent shopping he picked out things he liked, I got to say why I liked or didn't like them, and we narrowed it down. Every time I wear my Burberry, I think of him. I like that. I also know that when he gets close, he's going to be happy. The other hours of the day pale in comparison to those hours with him.

...Compromise is key though. When we went scent shopping he picked out things he liked, I got to say why I liked or didn't like them, and we narrowed it down. Every time I wear my Burberry, I think of him. I like that. I also know that when he gets close, he's going to be happy. The other hours of the day pale in comparison to those hours with him.

AMEN to this! If your significant other likes it, they will snuggle, get close to you, and express their happiness. That in itself is priceless.

I'll come at this from the other side.

Always good to get the other perspective! When my wife was pregnant (each time) she developed this amazingly hypersensitve sense of smell. I'm talking things that you have ALWAYS known have absolutely no smell - turns out they do, and she could smell it. Perfumes and colognes were like a bomb with shrapnel to her. It was absolutely out of the question for 9+ months. It took a while to abate; she's still got a more sensitive nose than she used to, but not as sensitive as it was when she was pregnant.

If you are both fond of citrus top notes with slightly woody undertone scents, both my wife and I love the scent of Geo. F. Trumper GFT Cologne. It's a modern man fragrance. I'm fairly positive nothing smells like it. It's almost obscenely expensive, ringing in at nearly $80/50ml, but I smell good.

View attachment 504186

Good choices! I have the Hermes EDT version and love it. As for the Vetivers I like Tom Ford and L' Occitane. There is just something about the Guerlain vetiver that I don't like. Let us know how you both like them.

I'm with those who say to wear what you enjoy most of the time. When it is going to be just the two of you, then it's time to choose what she likes best.

Top Bottom