What's new

Need Help! Mildewed Boots

Good morning chaps. Well isn't this just a dandy topic? Mildewed boots. I bought a pair of Dr. Martens Industrial lace up work boots a number of months ago. They are comfortable, seemingly well made and durable and all that. The trouble stgarted a week ago. My wife was sitting beside me (at home thankfully) and said she kept smelling someting that was not quite right. Looking at me the whole time, of course. She finally narrowed it down to my boots. Hmmm. Look, I am fortunate in that I never get foot odour. At least not as you normally think of of nasty old gym sock odour. This is different. The boots smell just like they were soaked in water and left to mildew in a dank basement corner.

I have tried various home treatments like rubbing alcohol on them to kill the mildew spores, etc. It has not worked. I need these boots back in action since my prior pair of worn out boots have been called back into action and they are none too comfortable. I know, a bloke really needs two pairs of boots to alternate his work days to allow proper drying. I just don't have the extra income right now to allow it. These Docs are about $125 per pair and with my wife and daughter just getting fitted for eye glasses last week ($600 between them) you can imagine I won't be buying another pair this month! Would anyone have an idea about how to treat this condition? It is a bit embarrassng to even mention it but I have never experienced this before and have no clue where to start.

Regards, Todd

Leather boots should be aired and dried after brushing off mold. Make a mixture of 1 cup denatured alcohol and 1 cup water. Dip a cloth in this mixture and wring it out. Rub mildew spots gently. Dry well. Stuffing your boots with wadded up newspapers...should work in 2-3 days time. If you still have ab odor, try filling the boot with rice and place them in a sealed pastic garbage bag for severals days. You can also use saddle soap on the outside of the boot. Dry and air well before storing. I hope that this helps.

Are you talking about the inside or the outside. For the inside they sell insoles you can get that contain Dryz that absorbs moisture and wicks it out at night. They also sell a spray for the inside that will kill anything. For the outside if they smell that bad and you think its mildew or mold you would be able to see it. It just may be a combination of water in the leather and whatever they used to tan the leather. You really need to let them sit for awhile. Using the same pair day in and day out is asking for trouble.

Consider a boot dryer. Cabellas have them for $15 to $20.

I had some issues with docs before I saturated the insoles with fabreeze ie there was a puddle. Once dry enough I popped em on the dryer. I have not had issues with smell in over 3yrs.

A cheap (free if you have this access) and easy way to dry boots out, if you have a "gas" hot water heater, is to place the boots on top of the hot water heater tank. Also, to clean and condition the outside of the boot (leather), use a saddle soap.

If you really want to invest in your boots future this is what you need. I have four pairs of work boots (all serve different purposes) and there values range from 250USD to 400USD. They go through absolute hell and still are fantastic, one pair is about 8 years old.
Boot Drier, specifically like this one. You can find them elsewhere, virtually all are made by Peet. These naturally circulate warm air. Use them every night.
proxy.php

Saddle Soap. Most any brand will work, the best deals are at a tack store and they are usually the most natural. Get a set of boot cleaning brushes and your set. Make sure you have a small one to get in the crevices and down by the last. Kinda like shaving, soak the brush, pick up some soap and gently scrub away grime and debris. Rinse clean.
proxy.php

This is the one that I wholeheartedly endorse. The oil is for touch ups while the paste is for heavy duty. These were made to be exposed to heat so oiling the boots and then putting them on the drier would be the most effective.
proxy.php

Obenaufs

This all may seem like overkill but when you have a heavy investment in your boots (and I don't just mean monetary) they deserve the best because they will give you the best.

Last edited:
For future reference,,, Dr. Martens are made in China and have turned to crap lately... I always preffered Gripfast boots to the Doc's.....

If you want a great boot for that price,,, buy Corcorans.... If they were good enough to stomp in the faces of Nazis during the Normandy invasion of '44,,, they're good enough for my daily needs (not excluding the aforementioned)....

You could poo in them and they will STILL never smell bad... I had a pair that I wore every day for a couple years (eventually re-soled with Vibrams),, and they only smell faintly of leather,, despite the mile-a-day walk that they went through during those years....

Of course,,, none of that advice does any good now.... Use some meltonian polish,,, and blame that for the cause of the odor.....

If you really want to invest in your boots future this is what you need. I have four pairs of work boots (all serve different purposes) and there values range from 250USD to 400USD. They go through absolute hell and still are fantastic, one pair is about 8 years old.
Boot Drier, specifically like this one. You can find them elsewhere, virtually all are made by Peet. These naturally circulate warm air. Use them every night.
proxy.php

Thats exactly what I was talking about. I use them for my motorcycle boots and its awesome.

BTW, my boots are now from: http://www.chippewaboots.com/

Looks like everybody's got you covered. The only other (cheap) thing I can offer is if you have the opportunity to set them in front of an open window or fan for about 30 minutes after they get wet (or you sweat in them) that should help drastically.

I would be VERY careful about placing heat next to leather boots. The boot dryers ( like the one mentioned from Cabela's work fine) but other direct heat sources can damage the leather.

Wow guys. Great answers. You have no idea how embarrassing it is to post up something like this thread. I have no choice but to wear boots to work. I do industrial/commercial electrical maintenance and shoddy footwear is a no no. I like boots. I wore Chippewa pull ons for YEARS. I love them but I had gotten so bad at running my right heel over I had to go to something a little shorter. I looked around all over and decided to try a pair of Doc's. As Nervous Breakdown said, these are made in China. I normally would have looked straight past them on personal grounds. However, afer looking at the JUNK put out by Red Wing lately, not to mention Justin Industries, I decided to give them a go. To be honest, wear has been non existent. This mildew problem was my fault. I got away with wearing the chips every day because the pull on style allowed a lot more air circulation and did not get or stay as wet. If I had two pairs of the Docs it would be different I am sure. I have though about those boot driers more than once. Like everything, it is a matter of money.

Regards, Todd

I would be VERY careful about placing heat next to leather boots. The boot dryers ( like the one mentioned from Cabela's work fine) but other direct heat sources can damage the leather.

+1 Don't stuff a hair dryer in there either. I had a friend do that to a pair of his combat boots. Melted the end of the dryer, caught the boot insert on fire and shorted out the dryer. :lol:

All of my shoes and sneakers have wooden shoe trees in them and they all look and smell new. Invest in them for the future.

V

VR6ofpain

Don't wear them every day. Give them at least a day or two between uses. This allows the sweat to dry out of them.

Top Bottom