What's new

Need help identifying vintage razor

Hello everyone!

I received a vintage razor from my better half as a Christmas gift, but can't figure out what razor it is. I'm a newly registered member, but having hung out here for the past year since I got rid of my five year old beard and going back to daily DE shaving and reading thousands of posts here, I figured some of you crazy people with lots of knowledge might be able to help me identify it.

I don't think the razor and the accessories are necessarily from the same brand, since the picture of the razor on the metal box is not the same as the razor itself. The razor fits inside perfectly though. It also says Germany on the box, but the little metal container for used blades inside is Gillette branded (although I don't know if Gillette might have had production on Germany as well back in the days...).

Anyway, I've given it a thorough cleaning with soap and alcohol, and am looking forward to try it out soon! Have aquired a lot of safety razors the last year, but none that is open comb. So was really glad that the wife found this and bought it! :biggrin1:

Hope someone can help me solve this mystery, and from a new member to all of you: thanks for all the knowledge, laughs and good atmosphere that I've experienced on the forum before deciding to join in on the fun for real!

Attachments

• DSC_0169.JPG
    DSC_0169.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0172.JPG
    DSC_0172.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • _20211229_141451.JPG
    _20211229_141451.JPG
    948.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It looks like a Rotbart box style although I do not recognise the image and mine are red in colour rather than blue. The razor looks like my Rotbart Old Type but seems to lack the markings/engravings that mine has. The cap has the same yellow lacquer. Sorry, not much help.

Welcome and if anyone can help identify your razor, it is this wild bunch!!!Could you please get a picture of the underside of the base plate and cap? Thanks and have a great day!!!

Tom

It looks like a Rotbart box style although I do not recognise the image and mine are red in colour rather than blue. The razor looks like my Rotbart Old Type but seems to lack the markings/engravings that mine has. The cap has the same yellow lacquer. Sorry, not much help.
Wow, that saved a lot of time and was a huge help! It does indeed seem to be some kind of Rotbart after a Google search, the Mond Extra being the most similar. Will do more research there and comparing pics with my razor. Also found a Rotbart thread here on B&B that I will go through. Thanks a lot, EclipseRedRing!

Seems they were taken over by Gillette a hundred years ago, so that might explain the Gillette used blade container (my guessing of course).

Welcome and if anyone can help identify your razor, it is this wild bunch!!!Could you please get a picture of the underside of the base plate and cap? Thanks and have a great day!!!

Tom
Hey Tom!

Hehe, indeed! Lots of knowledge on this forum! Have shown it to my wife and even she was amazed, and it made her take up her old hobby of perfume collecting and researching. And now that she has started to spend quite some money on perfumes, I no longer have to hide my rabbit hole purchases of shaving stuff under the bed. :tongue_sm

I can do it when I get home, but I know it was completely blank which is why I got even more confused when trying to find out the brand and all.

i forgot to mention that I live in Sweden and I guess my wife purchased it here. All the Rotbart tin cans I see on Google are red, and my is blue with some yellow details not taken over by rust and decades of storage. Makes me think that they maybe made this one for export to Sweden (since the Swedish flag is blue and yellow). But that is also a wild guess on my side...

Hello everyone!

I received a vintage razor from my better half as a Christmas gift, but can't figure out what razor it is. I'm a newly registered member, but having hung out here for the past year since I got rid of my five year old beard and going back to daily DE shaving and reading thousands of posts here, I figured some of you crazy people with lots of knowledge might be able to help me identify it.

I don't think the razor and the accessories are necessarily from the same brand, since the picture of the razor on the metal box is not the same as the razor itself. The razor fits inside perfectly though. It also says Germany on the box, but the little metal container for used blades inside is Gillette branded (although I don't know if Gillette might have had production on Germany as well back in the days...).

Anyway, I've given it a thorough cleaning with soap and alcohol, and am looking forward to try it out soon! Have aquired a lot of safety razors the last year, but none that is open comb. So was really glad that the wife found this and bought it! :biggrin1:

Hope someone can help me solve this mystery, and from a new member to all of you: thanks for all the knowledge, laughs and good atmosphere that I've experienced on the forum before deciding to join in on the fun for real!
Does razor have markings DRGM or DRP agem

R

romsitsa

Hello and welcome!

These are near impossible to ID. If it has no marking then it is unbranded, made in Germany , most likely 30ies-40ies.
It is 101% not a Rotbart, the Gillette blade box is a later addition, the blades of the set were stored in the little pocket.

Top Bottom