What's new

Need help identifying this old razor collection by name, date, etc...

Only dates I'm able to EASILY identify [for the most part] is the middle row, because they all appear to have date codes...

So I mostly need help verifying the top & bottom rows.

This is what I've figured out so far...

TOP ROW (left to right):
- Gem Micromatic
- Schtick Injector
- Gillette The New (*early* gen?; considered a Tech?) w/ cracked, broken handle
- Gillette New (later gen; Improved?; considered a Tech?
- Gillette Aristocrat TTO w/ no date codes?

MIDDLE ROW (left to right):
- Gillette Super Speed (Date Code: W1, First Quarter 1951)
- Gillette Super Speed Black Tip (Date Code: W2, Second Quarter 1951)
- Gillette Gold Fatboy Executive Adjustable (Date Code: D3, Third Quarter 1958)
- Gillette Fatboy Adjustable (Date Code: E3, Third Quarter 1959)
- Gillette Slim Adjustable (Date Code: H2, Second Quarter 1962)
- Gillette Slim Adjustable (Date Code: H3, Second Quarter 1962)
- Gillette Slim Adjustable (Date Code: J2, Second Quarter 1964)
- Gillette Slim Adjustable (Date Code: J4, Second Quarter 1964)
- Gillette Black Handle Silver Flare Tip (Date Code: P1, First Quarter 1970)

BOTTOM ROW (left to right):
- NO NAME "Double-Edge Safety Razor"
- Schick electric razor
- Pal adjustable injector razor
- Gillette adjustable Techmatic (Date Code: O4)

They're not in the best condition and almost all of them have at least a little corrosion, but only a couple are terribly bad. Any suggestions for a cleaning solution to fix them up real nice? Lemon juice, perhaps?

Attachments

• Razor_Collection-01.jpg
    Razor_Collection-01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • Razor_Collection-02.jpg
    Razor_Collection-02.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Razor_Collection-03.jpg
    Razor_Collection-03.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • Razor_Collection-04.jpg
    Razor_Collection-04.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • Razor_Collection-05.jpg
    Razor_Collection-05.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A soak in some hot soapy water and a scrub with a soft toothbrush will likely be sufficient. Then I would try shaving with them. Welcome to B&B.

- Gillette The New (*early* gen?; considered a Tech?) w/ cracked, broken handle Gillette Goodwill 160
- Gillette New (later gen; Improved?; considered a Tech? Gillette new long comb
- Gillette Aristocrat TTO w/ no date codes? 1946-1950

Nice catch, Vraad! I see there's some differences between the Aristocrats and the latter ones were more aggressive. This is, in fact, the ONLY closed comb razor that even remotely compares to the aggressiveness of an open comb razor. Makes me wonder how much more aggressive an open comb Aristocrats might be...

A soak in some hot soapy water and a scrub with a soft toothbrush will likely be sufficient. Then I would try shaving with them. Welcome to B&B.
Thanks for the welcome! I was here a LONG time ago, but found a needle in the haystack early on, and pretty much assumed there couldn't possibly be anything better. I *think* I am still correct, but there are definitely some collectors items I'd like to get my hands on, however...

My wife recently had the idea for a "Time Capsule" birthday party for our son, which reignited my fancy for old razors. I was going to give my son an older Gillette, but then I realized a nice condition 1938/1939 Gillette Senator would be the ideal gift for his Time Capsule.. Reason being that when he opens this box on his 18th birthday, the Senator will be almost exactly a ~100 y.o. razor!! Seems cool to me, at least... But now I need to clean out old stock to try and find some more "needles [of the haystack variety]".

Other than that, your advice for warm water and soap worked for *most* of the razors. But there are two left that still have a couple clumps of aqua-green-ish corrosion. Should I try some lemon juice or something stronger? One of them is the Gold Executive Fatboy, which I've heard one should be careful with, as it's easy to remove the lacquer (sp?) using rubbing alcohol, etc. So is there something strong enough to remove the corrosion but not harm the gold lacquer?

Thanks in advance!!

all of those tto razors have end caps that should date them all to 1948 or later I think. tighten up the date range for the aristocrat by a couple years.

Top Bottom