What's new

Need Help Identifying this German made DE

Hi Guys

A couple of weeks ago i won a vintage german made Travel set on Ebay for a good price. The photo's didn't show the razor very well. I thought i was getting a generic german made DE. When it arrived i was surprised upon seeing the razor. I've never seen a DE like this before. At first glance i thought it was a slant but upon examining it the base plate is straight but the cap kind of gives it a slant look.The cap as you can see in the photo's below is raised on one side in a kind of triangular shape. I have no idea what the purpose of this design is for but i like the way it looks and i LOVE the way it shaves. I shaved with it twice so far and it knocked down 3 days growth like it was nothing. There's no uncomfortable blade feel and i got a completely BBS shave with no nicks or irritation using a Astra Platinum blade.It is a very efficiant razor and very heavy.
What is this razor? I have quite a few German made DE'S but nothing like this design.
Approx how old is it?
What company made it?
Please view the pictures below and any information is greatly applreciated.

Attachments

• German razor.jpeg
    German razor.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 45
  • German razor 2.jpeg
    German razor 2.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 52
  • German razor 3.jpeg
    German razor 3.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 48
  • German razor 4.jpeg
    German razor 4.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Germanrazor 5.jpeg
    Germanrazor 5.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 48
I've never seen one like that. No marks or stamps anywhere on any of the pieces? Under the cap, under the base?

R

romsitsa

The manufacturer is on the tab (at least the company which marketed it), based on the leather and accessoires I'd say 50ies or 60ies.
The closest match for the cap would be the Feather 1500, but the base plate is is the "generic" Solingen design.
Purpose of the humpback was to force the "Gillette slide".

Thanks for the replies.
There's no markings anywhere on the razor.
The Tag that was tied to the razor says Solinger Wertarbeit which translates to Solingen Workmanship,so we know the razor was manufactured in Solingen like most of the other German razors but thats all the information i have.
I've just taken a look at the Feather 1500,its very similar except that one has a baseplate thats similar in design to a Gillette Tech.

R

romsitsa

Either a Sonnal or Lutz, both look the same, but without a name it's the usual confusion.

Handle looks lke a Sonnal, however the head is identical to my Saba. I've been looking for a second one to give as a present to a friend of mine for ages.
DSC08503.JPG
DSC08506.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very interesting razor. Never seen one that I can think of. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Top Bottom