What's new

Need help identifying if these are old or new Derby Extra blades

61LJ-pUFX+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I need help figuring out if the derby blades in the image are the new post 2016 derby blades or the old ones. The pack doesn't come with the plastic inserts that people usually use to figure which is which so I'd appreciate some help if anyone knew.

Thanks

Regardless of the answer, I would not recommend these particular Derbies. The black box Derby premium and the USTA versions are better.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
First of all -- Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Now, most of my older 100 Derby Extra purchases were packaged in a sleeve.
Haven't seen that style before so I would say new.
Controversial blade, I like them and continue to use mine, but much maligned by many members.

edit: I don't recall mine showing "PLATINUM" on the box

First of all -- Welcome to Badger & Blade!

Now, most of my older 100 Derby Extra purchases were packaged in a sleeve.
Haven't seen that style before so I would say new.
Controversial blade, I like them and continue to use mine, but much maligned by many members.

edit: I don't recall mine showing "PLATINUM" on the box
Haha thanks, long time lurker, finally decided to create an account.

Heres the link to the amazon listing if that helps

Second question: Would you recommend the extra or the premiums or is there even a difference?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The 100 Derby Extra's I ordered didnt come in a box shaped like that. They were in tucks, two rows to the carton, ten tucks high. The colour of the box is the same but it didnt have all the ad appeal the box you show has. Given the price, mine were under $13CAD shipped, I would assume them the same as use them the same. That means I'd expect to like them just as much as the older ones, which are still a top 3 blade for me but, they can be razor particular in my experience. In my Fatip Grande, New SC and Old Types, top 3 easily. In my R41, not so much...

In looking at the box again, its says New top left corner so I would assume, they're the newer ones. Why is it always hard to miss the big flashing signs? lol

Sorry, haven't yet tried the Premiums but since they're only about eight bucks I'll have to get some next time.

Been using the Extra blades for over a decade but lately using Astras more.
Can't stand Astras, always gave me a bad shave but everyone else seems to like them. Currently working through a 100 pack of Gillette Minoras but looking at picking them up when I finish it

Reactions: edw
Top Bottom