What's new

Need help identifying a straight

While going through a box of straights, I came across what I think is an unusual straight but I can’t make out the name.
The blade is notched on the end and has a double thumb notch. The blade is stamped “Silver Steel”, but all I can make out on the tang is “ham”.
Any help and a history would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 43

Legion

Staff member
Going to take a wild guess, but the ...HAM could be the end of Birmingham, where razors were also manufactured, though not as many as Sheffield. Maybe?

There are a few manufacturers who made razors with that double notch in that time, including W Greave & Sons, Joseph Rodgers, etc. Mid 1800's.

Legion

Staff member
Are straights like this one unusual? I forgot to mention that it has wooden scales.
Well... not super unusual. But it is a genuine antique, and looks like it could clean up well.

Lets say, they are out there, and I have seen a number of similar ones on the internet, but if I found one for sale for a fair price I would probably grab it and be well pleased with myself. It's a good score.

I guess it’s a no-no to ask about prices?
The edge appears to have an uneven hone. Can that be fixed? How about the pitting? Wet/dry? If so, what grit?
Is it worth getting it rescaled?

Legion

Staff member
Can’t give prices.

weird grind is pretty normal for the age.

need pics of the scales for assessment

While it doesn't look like the standard Bingham mark, I would guess CT Bingham. Here's a Fenney Tally Ho that I sadly had to shorten. I believe that Fenney became Bingham.

20210222_000905.jpg

Looks a lot like the end of the Durham stamp but they were later and only did removable blade stuff that I know of.

Did they ever make straights before the DE stuff?

1613982883433.jpeg

Looks like horn scales on a faux frameback. With those collars reminds me of stuff mid 1800s. Lead wedge? Both razor and scales about shot and spent.

Top Bottom