What's new

Need help finding good matte/powdery aftershaves

I moved into the slow lane for a while when it came to shaving, got hit with the bourbon bug as my main hobby but am starting to come back to shaving (Pappy van Winkle and other bottles were killing my wallet). My huge collection of soaps as etc were gifted off other than a couple key items i kept for a minimal rotation... Now I'm back and amazed, almost intimidated with all the products and options out there. I've recently started taking testosterone and it has made my face really oily and some of the aftershaves and balms i have do not work for me as they leave my face oily any shiny...any suggestions on products would be greatly appreciated

If anyone has any samples that i could try/ buy so I don't have to buy full bottles til i find what works best would be awesome

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Speick aftershave splash might be one to try. Also, I find most TOBS splashes to be not on the oily side. No idea where samples might be available though.

Maggard Razors has lots of sample choices. Fine Aftershaves are make with only water, alcohol, fragrance and menthol. Pretty good for oily skin IMO.

Side note: never had the opportunity to try Pappy...yes, due to cost. I can see why your hobby hurt your wallet.

The Pinaud aftershaves should work well for you. They are fragrance + alcohol. Sample bottles are available. They are also very reasonably priced.

I moved into the slow lane for a while when it came to shaving, got hit with the bourbon bug as my main hobby but am starting to come back to shaving (Pappy van Winkle and other bottles were killing my wallet). My huge collection of soaps as etc were gifted off other than a couple key items i kept for a minimal rotation... Now I'm back and amazed, almost intimidated with all the products and options out there. I've recently started taking testosterone and it has made my face really oily and some of the aftershaves and balms i have do not work for me as they leave my face oily any shiny...any suggestions on products would be greatly appreciated
Look into Floid Suave and Vigoroso. To me they are powdery.

Sounds like some think you want a powdery fragrance, but I thought you want powder in the product to dull the oily sheen. I’m assuming the latter, so...

HeadBlade makes a matte head moisturizer for dulling the sheen with head shaving that you might like.
HeadBlade, Inc.

Maggard Razors has lots of sample choices. Fine Aftershaves are make with only water, alcohol, fragrance and menthol. Pretty good for oily skin IMO.

Side note: never had the opportunity to try Pappy...yes, due to cost. I can see why your hobby hurt your wallet.
yes i went deep into that rabbit hole
proxy.php

Speick aftershave splash might be one to try. Also, I find most TOBS splashes to be not on the oily side. No idea where samples might be available though.
Thanks for the ideas ive found a sample of speick cant wait to try, and love tobs scents so hopefully theyll work for me

Lately I have been lightly dusting my dome with Pinaud Finest powder. It seems to keep the shine down. You may want to consider actual powder. For me it just adds to that barbershop feeling in the morning.

Top Bottom