What's new

Need help finding a style of straight

Things seem to be a little fluid when describing a razor's grind. I've seen antique and vintage razors that are engraved with "Hollow Ground" and even "Extra Hollow Ground" that come nowhere near where today's "full hollow" grinds are. I've also been told that "near wedge" means "1/4 Hollow", though I don't know that I believe that.

I would call the Portland a 1/4 hollow, or maybe 1/2 hollow. It has more "hollow" than I associate with pre-tariff Wade & Butcher razors, but not much more. I agree with earlier posters that the older razors tend towards the heavier grinds by today's standards.

So, I find the grind descriptions to be useful as a very loose guide. Best bet is to see end-on pictures and make your own evaluation. Best of luck!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
There’s also a nice Filly 13 Muleta heavy grind on the B&B BST - these were made for the Japanese market IIRC and are not the usual Fill hollow grinds.

I love Rigarazor. They are what I would think is classed as 1/4 hollow or 1/2 hollow. Definitely a heavier grind than most modern razors.

Price range for their basic 7/8ths would be around $150 which is very good value for what you get.

Search on Etsy for them if you want to make contact.
1584799801573.png

I like the appearance of the Rigarazors but again it needs to be $100 or less. I am not spending what they want on Etsy for a straight. No way. Lol

A lot of the older Sheffield razors are larger blades with a near wedge or quarter hollow grind.
I wouldn't classify any of the old Sheffields with a stabilizer as being a near wedge, though they do often have a heavier grind. Definitions/standards seem to vary depending on who you ask though.

Top Bottom