What's new

Need help finding a style of straight

Hey all,

So I am after a straight with a larger blade ie 13/16" or something in the chopper size but that is only a quarter hollow or near wedge. I certainly do not want to spend a ton of money on it so many of the customs out there are a no go. What would you recommend (with picture preferably) that would fit what I am looking for? Thank you in advance.

Robert

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Very difficult to to find what you want new. You will probably have to settle for an older used SR to meet your requirements.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

My custom Gustave from the Portland Razor Company is 7/8 in a heavy grind. They primarily make stainless steel razors these days, but they might make you a custom at a reasonable price. Shaves well with plenty of oomph.
0C21391F-CB1C-4482-BFEB-4760B7DAB88D.jpeg

9785A817-1261-41E8-B792-C8FF79FE848D.jpeg

FDC04149-1BD1-4688-B0B4-56FF5A740EA1.jpeg

I'd love one of the Portland Razor Co. Spanish or French point in the green Kirinite but I'm not going to spend that kind of money.

I hadn’t seen your price post when I was writing my post. I was lucky enough to get the Gustave on BST for a little over 100.

I think this is still available right now:

#1 Wade & Butcher 15/16 near wedge. Has original beehive pins and is in good overall shape. Relatively minimal spine wear, especially considering age. this is my very favorite shaver. $150

I have a W&B but it's not a quarter hollow or near wedge. It's a full hollow as is the one in that post.

I'd love one of the Portland Razor Co. Spanish or French point in the green Kirinite but I'm not going to spend that kind of money.
Not just the price, I understand they were robbed, cleaned out so they will not have any significant stock soon.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
RobertJ, why the requirement of wedge/ near wdege? Is it that you are after a heavier than normal blade weight?

The weight is a factor yes. Also the fact that out of all of my other straights they are all full hollows and after using a quarter hollow I enjoy it and would like to add one to my collection.

I am no expert either - near wedge is my best interpretation of the very heavy grind profile of the one razor I own as compared to the illustrations I’ve seen on the matter. By no means am I an authority on the topic!

The weight is a factor yes. Also the fact that out of all of my other straights they are all full hollows and after using a quarter hollow I enjoy it and would like to add one to my collection.

I have to agree. I really like the PRC Gustave. Now I’m getting tempted by the Dzaw’s W&B chopper!

I'm tempted as well if it is a near wedge. I sent a PM asking for a photo of the blade from head on so we shall see.

I've been speaking with him. Go ahead and buy it if you want. Its not worth $150 to me. I'm going to stay at $100 Max and preferably below that. Prices have gotten crazy.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Check out April7th1989 on eBay. Just search on any major Japanese brand and his listings will be there, they usually have a ruler or tape measure in the images.

Good hunting, and you’ll find something. He knows what he has but there are still bargains to be had. He also hones well.

Top Bottom