What's new

Need help finding a small brush

I'm looking for a small shaving brush...something along the lines of an 18 or 20mm knot. I currently use a Vulfix 2234 with a 22mm knot, which I know is considered to be on the small side of things, but it's bigger than what I want. I feel like I waste a lot of cream using a brush that size because it takes so much more cream to fill it up. The only thing I've found in the size I'm looking for is a Simpson Wee Scot (and I don't even know what it's knot size is) priced at $65, which is considerably more than what I want to spend. I'd really like to top out at about $30-$40 if possible. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the help. As long as it's badger hair I'm happy. Thanks.

Jordan

Jordan,

The Savile Row SR-101 and Sr-104 each have 20mm knots. They're $32 and $28 respectively at www.qedusa.com I don't own any of the 100 series, but I have 3 Savile Row brushes, and I can attest to their fine quality.

John

greendyk said:
Jordan,

The Savile Row SR-101 and Sr-104 each have 20mm knots. They're $32 and $28 respectively at www.qedusa.com I don't own any of the 100 series, but I have 3 Savile Row brushes, and I can attest to their fine quality.

John

I don't have either of these brushes, but I do have the SR100 travel brush - 20mm knot and slightly shorter loft - great brush for the money. You may also want to consider the 20mm super badger. If you're looking for a very small brush and can afford $75, QED sells an 18mm silvertip - cheque out the reviews on this site, they speak very highly of the ability of this little brush to whip up lather.

If you don't mind a smaller handle, the SR100 is a great little brush at a resonable price - and you would then have a travel brush to boot (the brush comes with a screw top case.

The C&E Pure Badger Travel Brush by Edwin Jagger is in your size and price range. I use the little bugger everyday and love the thing.

Good luck with your hunt.

yomuppet said:
How does the SR118 compare to the C&E Best or the *gasp* Men-U Premiere :eek:

J
I am not quite sure about a SR118... But if you are talking about the SR3118 silvertip, it's really a meaningless comparison. Like apples and oranges, they are both fruit, but which is better? :confused1
This silvertip, while small, is in a completely different class than the best. Though I am a C&E Best fan, given the choice, for me it's the SR3118 hands down. More water holding, more resilience, and plus really great scritchiness. I haven't tried the Men-U Premiere and probably will not avail myself of one anytime soon.

guenron said:
I am not quite sure about a SR118... But if you are talking about the SR3118 silvertip, it's really a meaningless comparison. Like apples and oranges, they are both fruit, but which is better? :confused1
This silvertip, while small, is in a completely different class than the best. Though I am a C&E Best fan, given the choice, for me it's the SR3118 hands down. More water holding, more resilience, and plus really great scritchiness. I haven't tried the Men-U Premiere and probably will not avail myself of one anytime soon.

You are correct, I meant the SR 3118. Thanks for the reply.

J

greendyk said:
Jordan,

John

John, do these SR brushes do a good job of holding water?

Joe,

I have the 204 and the 208 supers, and the 3322 silvertip. Yes, they all hold enough water, but especially the 3322. The 200 series would appear to be Kent BKs in disguise, while the 3000s are very Shavemac-like. The 200s are a bit floppy, and are ideal for creams. While I love each of my SRs, I'd have to say the 3322 is close to being "the perfect brush" IMO. If I were on the market for a Best, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 101 or 104. You really can't go wrong with a Savile Row.

Regards,
John

I have a SR101 and love it. Its now my travel brush, but I have to admit that I look forward to trips away from home so I can use this brush!

It does not hold as much water as a larger brush, or one in Super for that matter, but easily makes up for this "deficiency" with its superior lather making capability.

Highly recommended--and a bargain at the price.

greendyk said:
Joe,

I have the 204 and the 208 supers, and the 3322 silvertip. Yes, they all hold enough water, but especially the 3322. The 200 series would appear to be Kent BKs in disguise, while the 3000s are very Shavemac-like. The 200s are a bit floppy, and are ideal for creams. While I love each of my SRs, I'd have to say the 3322 is close to being "the perfect brush" IMO. If I were on the market for a Best, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 101 or 104. You really can't go wrong with a Savile Row.

Regards,
John

I think John's right on track. My $.02 is spend a little more and get a 3120 or 3122 (or 3320, 3322, just different handles). They're tremendous brushes for not a lot of money. While maybe not THE best brushes out there, likely on of THE best values for your money.

Thanks for the input guys! I ordered an SR3124 from Charles at QED (http://www.qedusa.com/cat_OtherProducts.htm). I had some conversation with him over e-mail as well....he is VERY responsive and helpful. Superb service. In fact, I can't believe how quickly he is turning my order around, I already got a shipping e-mail. What a guy! This is my first time dealing with Charles, and I am overwhelmed at how smooth it was. This is truly a first-class operation.

As I'm writing this, I just asked him if I can make a change (add a Frankincense&Myrrh stick) and he replied right back immediately!

Joe,

Let us know what you think of the SR3124; my guess is you will love it.

As for Charles, I agree. I can't praise him enough. He is knowledgeable and wise, carries only quality products, and will always help promptly, without trying to get you to spend more money. I swear by his soaps; there are many good ones around, but his remain at the top of my soap heap.

John

Charles is the best. He is the definition of a gentleman, and they are becoming increasingly rare nowdays so are often hard to spot!

My new Savile Row 3120 SilverTip from QED came in the mail yesterday afternoon and I shaved with it this morning using Tabac soap. What a great little brush! It's the perfect size small brush in my opinion [wouldn't want one any smaller]. It's SilverTip Badger hairs feel so good on the face, especially when filled with rich, luxurious Tabac!

Only problem now...one Savile Row is not enough!!! :sneaky2:

Top Bottom