What's new

Need help brand new Fatboy

I have just received a 'new' Gillette Fatboy in the mail. I have never owned an adjustable DE razor, but I do own a Merkur HD. The razor did not come with an instruction manual, and I would like some tips about any quirks it may have.

So far I have noticed that the TTO mechanism gives a bit of resistance right before the doors close. Is this normal? Will I need to oil or lubricate the moving parts?

I have just received a 'new' Gillette Fatboy in the mail. I have never owned an adjustable DE razor, but I do own a Merkur HD. The razor did not come with an instruction manual, and I would like some tips about any quirks it may have.

So far I have noticed that the TTO mechanism gives a bit of resistance right before the doors close. Is this normal? Will I need to oil or lubricate the moving parts?

its normal... lube wont hurt (does it ever?). Fatboys are pretty indestructible so do what you want with all the twisting and turning you can manage. If you open the doors, you will see 4 little platforms: these are what the blade sits on. Moving the dial from 1 to 9 or so, raises the platform up and down. 1 means little blade exposure (less aggressive shave) and 9 means more blade exposure (more aggressive shave). Most say to start on 3 and move your way up until you are happy.

Just one more thing: loosen-off the TTO before adjusting. I.e. don't re-dial with it locked down tightly

Do you mean that after the doors close, the TTO knob moves about a quarter turn more before it completely locks down? If that is what you are referring to, that is completely normal.

I am expecting a Fatboy in mail soon. Does anyone have the instruction manual from the original shipment box to paste here ?

Now if I recall: if it's a made in USA fatboy, start at #1. If it's a Canadian, start at #3.

I swear I saw that somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'll look again later.

Found it, thanks Mr-Razor.

Last edited:
Now if I recall: if it's a made in USA fatboy, start at #1. If it's a Canadian, start at #3.

I swear I saw that somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I'll look again later.

Found it, thanks Mr-Razor.

Instructions! Between these and all of the advice in this thread you should be good to go!

Lower settings for lighter beards, higher settings for heavier beards. Since most shavers have average beards (that is the definition of "average") start it midrange and move up or down if needed. A setting of 3 is the sweet spot for me with most blades.

Lower settings for lighter beards, higher settings for heavier beards. Since most shavers have average beards (that is the definition of "average") start it midrange and move up or down if needed. A setting of 3 is the sweet spot for me with most blades.

Well that's *one* definition of average, and as there's three (mean, mode, median) it's not the average one. Or is it?

Warning: This may be off topic.

:lol:

In the sense of falling within the fat part of the bell curve, Rev-O. Perhaps "mean" would be technically more correct than "average", though I think it is a distinction without a difference in this case. it would be illogical to design an adjustable razor meant for mass distribution any other way, wouldn't it? And you are a picky so-and-so. Didn't I have you in a couple of my classes when I was in school? (grin)

Thanks for all the great advice. The resistance when tightening is exactly what ctakim is referring to. I have shaved twice with this razor now and I love it! I haven't had this much fun shaving since I first started over a year ago. I can already tell that it may take me a while to nail down the perfect blade/number combination.

Then that is a good sign, that final quarter turn is the razor locking the blade down. Some adjustables with a loose TTO knob loose that tight final twist. You sound good to go!! Enjoy!

Although I usually loosen the doors before adjustment I haven't come across any reference to this in any adjustable razor instruction sheet. Just be sensible if need to use excessive force don't.

It is generally thought to be a mild razor get yourself some sharp blades like a Feather or Yellow 7'Oclock and dial away it is my favorite combination at the moment.

Top Bottom