What's new

Need finisher recommendation

A cheap alternatives are gems.
You can get some small 10K jade and 15K Agate. They are cheap. We are talking 10 to 25 $ here.
I have been playing with those on my last 4 razors I honed and was able to skip crOx. I was never able to do that successfully using my Shapton 16000.

Are you burnishing here? Maybe a thick piece of crown glass will suffice?

Last edited:
A cheap alternatives are gems.
You can get some small 10K jade and 15K Agate. They are cheap. We are talking 10 to 25 $ here.
I have been playing with those on my last 4 razors I honed and was able to skip crOx. I was never able to do that successfully using my Shapton 16000.

I've used Jasper, worked ok. Haven't found an Agate that works well past burnishing. I believe there are some, I just don't go looking for it.
A real Jade slab was on my radar too - never got to it but I believe it would fly. I had a piece of Beryl that was cheap and was more than serviceable; was pretty good actually.

I don't believe any of them carry a 10-15k grit assignment though.
Technique may allow you to bring up an edge that's better than imagined though.

And - I'd still rather have a 50 buck Thuri than a 10 buck any-of-the-above.

I've used Jasper, worked ok.
The Wonderstone I have is actually a type of Jasper. It was great when I got it. Removed steel fast, left a fantastic edge. Then I lapped it because it wasn't flat and there was a lip on one side that dinged an edge. It no longer cut fast, and the edge it left was good, but not great. Then I tried to use it to polish another stone, actually the process wound up polishing the Wonderstone and not touching the other stone. Now it cuts fairly fast again, and leaves a much better edge. Surface finish has a lot to do with what I can get off this stone.
It intrigued me so much that I have gotten a larger Jasper slab to try out. Not Wonderstone. I'll post pictures in the "Making a Hone" thread when I get some meaningful results.

^ huh? No comprende.

The Wonderstone I have is actually a type of Jasper. It was great when I got it. Removed steel fast, left a fantastic edge. Then I lapped it because it wasn't flat and there was a lip on one side that dinged an edge. It no longer cut fast, and the edge it left was good, but not great. Then I tried to use it to polish another stone, actually the process wound up polishing the Wonderstone and not touching the other stone. Now it cuts fairly fast again, and leaves a much better edge. Surface finish has a lot to do with what I can get off this stone.
It intrigued me so much that I have gotten a larger Jasper slab to try out. Not Wonderstone. I'll post pictures in the "Making a Hone" thread when I get some meaningful results.

Jasper is funny stuff -there are soooooo many types and choosing the right one might be the key to success.
I had a piece, was sent to me by the member that was doing that for a while) and one day it just shattered in my hand. Sigh. Naturals.
Anyway - it was plausible as a finisher as it arrived, and with polishing it got better. I think it would have been a reasonable alternative but perhaps too unstable to rely on. It had a fiberous quality to it, not unlike Calchedony. Nice stone - RIP.

Crown glass eh? Hmm - there's a guy on ebay selling slabs of some kind of glass, not sure what kind.

I have been using a 12k chinese stone I bought on ebay for $40 as a finisher stone once I get a good sharp edge on my razors from a norton 4k/8k combo stone. I still strop before each shave just to maintain the edge.

My question now is finishing even nesscary if I am stropping before each shave?

I have been using a 12k chinese stone I bought on ebay for $40 as a finisher stone once I get a good sharp edge on my razors from a norton 4k/8k combo stone. I still strop before each shave just to maintain the edge.
You should still be stropping between shaves. It really makes a difference.

My question now is finishing even nesscary if I am stropping before each shave?
The edge will eventually degrade from use, and you will need to touch up the razor on your 12K stone. If you let it go too long, you may have to go 8K>12K. Always finish on plain leather, no matter how fine of a finish you are able to put on a razor. Always strop between shaves.

I think he's saying he's stropping between shaves. He strops before shaving - that's between shaves - I think.

I see no point in adding a 12k after the 8k if Crox is going to be used after the stones.
None. Zippo.
personally - I'd say ditch the crutch, errr - crox - and try a natural finisher after the 8k Kit.
I'm thinking a Rhuri. Or a coti - might take a while to get 'there' on the Coti where 'there' is instant on the Thuri.
Jnats are fun too.

Good advice.

The 8k Kitayama was originally marketed as 10-12k but that was quickly dispatched as being a highly subjective consideration.

I've yet to try one myself. I already have two 8k stones as it is, and I rarely use either. Someday though...

Top Bottom