What's new

Need fashion help for a old white guy

Hey fashion guys
I need some manly fashion tips, I am turning 50. I want
to look my age with ought looking old. Needing tips for both casual and dressy. I am just a reg joe so no business attire is necessary. I am 6' and 217
With broad shoulders any hints where I can shop on a budget or get some nice prices w/o spending a ton of money to look like George Clooney from oceans eleven? Mostly what I have in my closet are one black one dark blue blazer. Decent jeans w/ belt. Button down shirts short sleeve plaid or long sleeve polo dress type shirts. Shoes tennis for work, wingtips black, penny loafers both black and burgundy. T-shirts I never wear out of the house. Here are some pics of my styles and likes. I just don't want to look like a extra in a gangster movie, just a more modern updated look.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 170
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 172
I don't know where you reside but brooks brothers would be a good starting point. Stay conservative & buy good quality clothes. If you pm me where you are I can probably find you some other stores in your area.

What's your budget? What you are willing to spend is going to make a difference in what options you have.
I've found that the recommendations in this forum are awesome, but they are also difficult to fund without careful planning for a middle-class regular Joe making less than 60k with a house and car payment. This won't be an "impulse buy"

Nice looking suits can be had at Men's Wearhouse, Jos.A Banks, and even Sears or JC Penny in the $100-$200 range, but understand that you are probably going to be spending another $50-$100 on tailoring to get a proper fit, and it will not be a quality, durable suit that you will still be wearing 10 years from now.
But don't skip on the tailoring. A well-fitted cheap suit looks a lot better and reflects better on the owner than a poorly fitting $600 suit.

That's the way I go, but I only wear a suit maybe 3 times a year max.
My daily wear is a short sleeved polo shirt and Dockers or slacks.

For shoes, Allen Edmonds are an excellent shoe for $300-$350. Alden is a step better, but also more expensive. There have been some recent complaints about AE quality, and I personally holed a sole in 6 months. The company is also "on the market" and some are concerned it may be picked up by investors who will move manufacturing overseas. For the time being, they are still made in the US.

Well thank you gents I certainly have a lot to think over. The car will be paid off soon might put off my new wardrobe until then. 200 bucks for a cheap suit? Plus alterations? Alterations although I do like the idea nothing worse than seeing a guy in a crappy suit there is a difference in a guy in a suit and really wearing a suit. I will have to check out my local area for suits we have
some tailor's in town I am sure.

$200 starts getting into decent suits.

I think I paid around $80 (and $40 tailoring) for this one from JC Penny's outlet store.

$Rochellewedding.jpg

$200 starts getting into decent suits.

I think I paid around $80 (and $40 tailoring) for this one from JC Penny's outlet store.

View attachment 360181
looks very nice and you both look very happy. And starting at 200. I can beath a bit easier. I have been doing my research on suits materials styles what's in what out. Glue that holds the lapels together( ***=what the funk). I may be over thinking all of this but it is interesting. Now if I could go over the pond to savile row for a cool classic dead stock suit. Who am I kidding? Just as long as I don't look like cousin Eddie from the vacation movies ill be ok.

I always roll with a nice Guayabera shirt, a Kangol cab hat, Dickie slacks an Chuck Taylors.
A Fedora or Derby goes good with this too. It's a pretty old school look but classics hang around for a reason.

I'm sure wherever you are there is an Express (for men) nearby. If not, their online store is running several nice offers. Express offers solid updated looks that I'm sure will appeal to your appreciation of vintage - and will in no way make you appear costumed or otherwise gimmicky.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Second-hand stores are good places to pick up good, used clothing at great prices. Some guys make a hobby out of scouring the used stores for diamond-in-the-rough finds ...

Top Bottom