What's new

Need dog advice

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Strongly agree that two puppies, especially littermates, is Not A Good Idea for several reasons.
Yeah. My young dachshund saved the life of my old dachshund though.

Those little German dogs are so German though!

FarmerTan

I like at least two years age difference. Then the older one can teach the younger one some manners.
Amen. Our old girl's world was rocked when we got her a baby brother, ha! She just did her best to ignore him, hoping his 8 week old self would disappear. But gradually she got out of bed and lived like a puppy herself until she died. And then he grieved. And our old cat took the place of keeping him in line and learnin' him some MORE manners.

I miss my dachshund friends, but I got to see one today that almost made me want to go back in time... But I am too selfish now. It's just me and the War Department again, and I want to be free of being responsible for other little people and critters for a bit.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Strongly agree that two puppies, especially littermates, is Not A Good Idea for several reasons.

I have a relative that has two littermates. Rottweillers. One is shy, withdrawn and timid and the other is insanely aggressive and not to be trusted.
Typical littermate syndrome.

While I’m still a far way from retirement, I lost my boy Diesel of 15 and a half years back in October 2020. We recently came across another pup of the same breed and I could not say no. He comes home in a couple of weeks. As the gentlemen on this forum had advised me “You can’t replace your pets, but you can give your new friend a great life as an addition to your previous pets.”

I was and still feel a bit guilty about getting a new pup, but my wife said it best. “If Diesel was still here and this pup came along, would you get him? Yes you would.”

So, round 2.

I think they'll be fine after a few months and the dog sees the new pack order.
Still, never leave kids alone with any dog.
That's generally good advice. That said, as a five year old, I was often left alone with the most loving and protective dog. Well, she was loving and protective of her family; she was mean and ferocious toward others. She was a German Shepherd (thanks to her, I still much prefer GSDs to all other dogs).

I used to straddle her back and try to ride her. She didn't like that, but rather than bite me, she would just back out from beneath me and run away. I would follow her and try again. After a couple tries, I'd give up and just end up playing with her. She was always very gentle in how she played with me and also with my younger cousins.

My aunt told me of a time where one of my younger cousins was playing with the dog in my grandparents' backyard. Some random person walked by and threw a stick into the yard. The pup grabbed the stick in her mouth, stuck her head through a gap in the wrought iron fence, and dropped the stick outside. Then she went back to guard and play with my little cousin.

I've had other dogs in my life; I credit my grandparents' GSD for helping teach me to love dogs. Her gentle and protective nature with her family coupled with her ferocity toward outsiders are quintessential hallmarks of a German Shepherd. They're also traits I favor in my dogs. Sadly, I no longer have a dog (I just don't have the time for one). If I were to have another dog, you can bet I would get another GSD.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's generally good advice. That said, as a five year old, I was often left alone with the most loving and protective dog. Well, she was loving and protective of her family; she was mean and ferocious toward others. She was a German Shepherd (thanks to her, I still much prefer GSDs to all other dogs).

I used to straddle her back and try to ride her. She didn't like that, but rather than bite me, she would just back out from beneath me and run away. I would follow her and try again. After a couple tries, I'd give up and just end up playing with her. She was always very gentle in how she played with me and also with my younger cousins.

My aunt told me of a time where one of my younger cousins was playing with the dog in my grandparents' backyard. Some random person walked by and threw a stick into the yard. The pup grabbed the stick in her mouth, stuck her head through a gap in the wrought iron fence, and dropped the stick outside. Then she went back to guard and play with my little cousin.

I've had other dogs in my life; I credit my grandparents' GSD for helping teach me to love dogs. Her gentle and protective nature with her family coupled with her ferocity toward outsiders are quintessential hallmarks of a German Shepherd. They're also traits I favor in my dogs. Sadly, I no longer have a dog (I just don't have the time for one). If I were to have another dog, you can bet I would get another GSD.
We have an English Mastiff and she's one of the sweetest good natured dogs I've ever seen. She's intimidating at 200 pounds, and very interested in a quiet, "maybe you want to think about this first" kind of way to anyone who comes near the property, but very loving to family. At 3 years old, she's ready for a playmate and a female German Shepard will arrive at our house mid August. I'm young enough to outlive the Mastiff, and my wife is young enough to outlive both, and that's something we take into consideration.

A poodle. Such intelligent dogs. What is littermate syndrome?

We have a standard poodle who is 12 years old. She is super intelligent and is as frisky as when she was a pup. Standard poodles have a life span of 12 to 15 years. The smaller poodles live longer - up to 18 years. The lifespan is a consideration when getting a puppy, as others have indicated.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We have a standard poodle who is 12 years old. She is super intelligent and is as frisky as when she was a pup. Standard poodles have a life span of 12 to 15 years. The smaller poodles live longer - up to 18 years. The lifespan is a consideration when getting a puppy, as others have indicated.
Poodles are widely considered the most intelligent dog breed.
Obviously, every breed has its own geniuses and morons, but an average poodle is smarter than the average dog of other breeds.

We took a couple years between our last dog and our new dog. I say get a new one or two. Just pick a breed that fits your lifestyle. If you are not very active don’t get a high energy dog that requires a lot of exercise Is what I mean.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
When my sister & BiL went to the breeder to pick which one they wanted, Billy couldn't decide which of 2 littermates they wanted. They ended up getting both. Iggy & Spark are best buds. Spark is a bit more inquisitive & adventurous, less likely to come in command, more prone to running off into the woods (they have 5 acres), but never wanders far. They spar all the time, but never really aggressively (Iggy always comes out on top, he's a good 15 lbs heavier & a bit taller than Spark). Pretty much a pair of clowns. They get along perfectly with their other 2 dogs & both of the kitties, who are also littermates, brother & sister, & a pair of real clowns (again, they went for one, and Billy couldn't decide which one he wanted more). The kitties practically mimic the dogs in their sparring & chasing each other around.
In both cases, one is more inquisitive & adventurous, and one is more affectionate.
Probably the best decisions they ever made.
0714211819_HDR~2.jpg

0307211120a~2.jpg

0121212314_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 0224211019_HDR.jpg
    0224211019_HDR.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 3

FarmerTan

When my sister & BiL went to the breeder to pick which one they wanted, Billy couldn't decide which of 2 littermates they wanted. They ended up getting both. Iggy & Spark are best buds. Spark is a bit more inquisitive & adventurous, less likely to come in command, more prone to running off into the woods (they have 5 acres), but never wanders far. They spar all the time, but never really aggressively (Iggy always comes out on top, he's a good 15 lbs heavier & a bit taller than Spark). Pretty much a pair of clowns. They get along perfectly with their other 2 dogs & both of the kitties, who are also littermates, brother & sister, & a pair of real clowns (again, they went for one, and Billy couldn't decide which one he wanted more). The kitties practically mimic the dogs in their sparring & chasing each other around.
In both cases, one is more inquisitive & adventurous, and one is more affectionate.
Probably the best decisions they ever made.
View attachment 1297153

View attachment 1297154

View attachment 1297157
That is a bunch of spoiled brats (in the best possible way!) right there! I'll bet it's crazy good fun there.

Top Bottom