What's new

Need Blade Advice

Lord Platinums were pretty good, but the Gillette Platinum blades might be better than even the Astra SS. Love that blade. Easily a 10/10 on the GC68. Tomorrow on SLOC should be a good test.

Lord Platinums were pretty good, but the Gillette Platinum blades might be better than even the Astra SS. Love that blade. Easily a 10/10 on the GC68. Tomorrow on SLOC should be a good test.

I've been following this thread and your findings with interest, as I also have and like the RR Gamechangers, the Mamba and the Fatip Gentile. Which Gillette Platinum did you test?

This one:
upload_2019-9-2_12-44-41.jpeg
or this one:

upload_2019-9-2_12-45-47.jpeg ?

This one:

or this one:
I am in same boat about these two. I have tried the old Plats in silver and white tucks and did not find this blade to be very sharp.
Now there is new all blue packaging and the camp is divided. Some say, they have used both and find no difference while other maintain new tucks have sharper blades. I would like to buy the all blue plats but if these aren't sharp enough, I will pass them.
Still awaiting to hear from folks who have tough and thick beard with sensitive skin.

I am in same boat about these two. I have tried the old Plats in silver and white tucks and did not find this blade to be very sharp.
Now there is new all blue packaging and the camp is divided. Some say, they have used both and find no difference while other maintain new tucks have sharper blades. I would like to buy the all blue plats but if these aren't sharp enough, I will pass them.
Still awaiting to hear from folks who have tough and thick beard with sensitive skin.

I like the Gillette Platinum blades, but I put them in the mid-sharp category. I find them to be very similar to the Gillette Silver Blue and 7 O'Clock Russian green blades. I sometimes wonder if they are the same blade in different packaging. For me, they work better in more aggressive razors where sharper blades might be a little too sharp.

I've got 400 of the silver/white box Plats and 300 of the blue box Plats. They seem exactly the same to me. I use them interchangeably. I think the tuck design is just marketing, one tuck goes to countries A, B, C and the other goes to X, Y, Z.

Here's where I am at as of today with my blade testing. Lots more testing to follow.

Your preferences seem to be similar to mine. I like very sharp blades: Nacets, Permasharp Super, BIC Chrome Platinum. 7 O'Clock Blac in mild - moderate razors. With more aggressive razors, I like the mid-sharp blades: Gillette Platinum, Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Yellow, Rapira PL, Polsilver, etc.

Your preferences seem to be similar to mine. I like very sharp blades: Nacets, Permasharp Super, BIC Chrome Platinum. 7 O'Clock Blac in mild - moderate razors. With more aggressive razors, I like the mid-sharp blades: Gillette Platinum, Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Yellow, Rapira PL, Polsilver, etc.
Similar indeed although I could not handle the Bic and Permasharps. The Polsilver were on my list, but Maggards did not have any...they did however have all the other blades...will need to make that one an add on to my next order of something else when they are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Similar indeed although I could not handle the Bic and Permasharps. The Polsilver were on my list, but Maggards did not have any...they did however have all the other blades...will need to make that one an add on to my next order of something else when they are available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The GC68 is not all that aggressive, so I would have thought you could use BICs and PermaSharps in that one. The others you are testing might be too aggressive for such sharp blades.

The GC68 is not all that aggressive, so I would have thought you could use BICs and PermaSharps in that one. The others you are testing might be too aggressive for such sharp blades.

I have very sensitive skin, so even in a mild razor (and I think the GC68 is pretty efficient anyway) the BIC and PermaSharps were just too much...with the BIC being almost as crazy sharp as Feathers.

I have very sensitive skin, so even in a mild razor (and I think the GC68 is pretty efficient anyway) the BIC and PermaSharps were just too much...with the BIC being almost as crazy sharp as Feathers.

Feathers are sharper out of the wrapper than BICs. However, after the first shave, Feathers are less sharp and BICs are even sharper. So yes, they are crazy sharp. I have very sensitive skin as well, but love them in something like an EJ89/R89.

As I continue to fill out my matrix, I am blown away how blade specific some razors are. The Lupo paired with the Gillette Yellows was absolute perfection this morning. Interestingly, the yellows have been rather forgettable otherwise. This whole exercise has opened up a whole new world for me. I will end up with a specific blade for each razor when this is all said and done. Maybe a couple of razors will share the same blade, but it is looking pretty diverse.

As I continue to fill out my matrix, I am blown away how blade specific some razors are. The Lupo paired with the Gillette Yellows was absolute perfection this morning. Interestingly, the yellows have been rather forgettable otherwise. This whole exercise has opened up a whole new world for me. I will end up with a specific blade for each razor when this is all said and done. Maybe a couple of razors will share the same blade, but it is looking pretty diverse.

I agree with your concluding that the 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellows are a rather forgettable blade in most razors. Although they advertise them as "one of the sharpest blades available", I do not find that to be the case at all. They are great in my Muhle R41 as they are smooth, but not too sharp and "tame the beast". My favorite blades in most razors are too sharp for use in the R41.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I had to give one piece of blade advice, it would be ignore what anyone else thinks of any given blade.

Several people's favourites have either left me underwhelmed, or been plain dreadful. What works in your razor, with your face, might bear no relevance to anyone else's experiences - even if you agree strongly about two blades, your opinions may differ widly on a third. Your OP is a good example of this, with your top blade being one I really dislike, and your second and third being great blades for me.

If you've got some for trade, go to The Great Blade Exchange. Toothpick is great with blades & fair. I tried more blades through the GBE than buying them. Rapira Platinum Lux are one of my favorites.
Try;

Zorrik Platinum
GSB
Gillette Sharpedge Yellows
Gillette Platinum
Silver Star SS

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Here's how things stand now. The only thing left to do ius to test the Lord and some of the winning blades in the GC84. But I think this test has been eye-opening and has elevated my shave game dramatically.

Blades.jpg

Top Bottom