What's new

Need Blade Advice

I started DE shaving 3+ years ago and in the early days, the order of my favorite blades used to be:

1) Personna Red
2) AstraSP

About a year ago, I added the Rapira Platinum Lux blades to my repertoire and in the last few months, I have noticed that my favorite blade order is:

1) Rapira Platinum Lux
2) AstraSP
3) Personna Red

and the Personnas now feel tuggier than any other blade I have used. I have recently re-tried feathers and those just don't work for me.

So given that I love the Rapira Plat Lux (beautiful combo of smooth and sharp) and now avoid the Personna Reds (not sharp enough and slightly tuggy), what blades do you recommend I try?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So given that I love the Rapira Plat Lux (beautiful combo of smooth and sharp) and now avoid the Personna Reds (not sharp enough and slightly tuggy), what blades do you recommend I try?

1: Perma-Sharp Super.

2: Bic Chrome Platinum.

3: Gillette Yellow.

4: Lord Platinum.

They all have the same kind of super smooth blade feel as the Rapira Plat Lux to me, as does the entire Gillette 7 O'Clock series but if you want sharp, try a Perma-Sharp or Bic.

Razor blades are a very individualistic thing as the ones that work best for you will depend upon your beard, your face, and your razors. I like Rapira Platinum Lux blades, but I find Personna Israeli Reds are even sharper for me. On the other hand, the Astra Superior Platinum blade I have tried have not been sharp enough. I do like Astra Superior Stainless, blades however and just ordered a 100 pack. I find them similar to the Rapira PL.

You did mention the razor you are using as that can have an affect on your blade choice. Since you did not mention your razor or the coarseness of your beard and the sensitivity of your skin, it is difficult to make specific recommendations.

I do find that BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp Super, and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black blades are some of the sharpest smoothest blades available. Gillette Nacet blades are also very sharp, but might not feel quite as smooth as the others.

I suggest that you purchase a sampler pack with a dozen tucks of blades. That is the only way to find out which blades work best for you.

Thanks all. I am buying one tuck of each of the ones mentioned here except the Polsilver Super Iridiums since they are only carried by WCS right now. All the rest I can get from Maggards and that is probably the easiest thing to do.

You might have a look at Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you like.
Thanks for the tip. I had already placed the order with Maggards and I like having 5 - 10 blades to try since it is instructive to use the same blade for 10 days in a row at least to get a solid idea of long term performance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I had already placed the order with Maggards and I like having 5 - 10 blades to try since it is instructive to use the same blade for 10 days in a row at least to get a solid idea of long term performance.

Some sample packs come with only one or two blades for each brand. That really does not provide enough experience with a blade. Purchasing 5-10 blades each makes more sense. If you have more than one razor, you really need to try new blades in each of them to see how they work in each razor. Some razors tend to work better with specific razor.

I suggest you work your way through a blade sampler or two! The only way to determine your preferences is to try things your self! That said, your favorites do overlap mine a bit. My top 5 (in no particular order):
Personna red
Nacet
Personna lab
GSB
Astra SP

Today's mail call. This should keep me busy for a while. The test razors will be the RR GC68 and SLOC. My Mamba53 and Fatip Gentile work with any blade that is sharp enough in the SLOC or GC68.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I find at least one or two blades that can rival the Rapira Platinum Lux.
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Today's mail call. This should keep me busy for a while. The test razors will be the RR GC68 and SLOC. My Mamba53 and Fatip Gentile work with any blade that is sharp enough in the SLOC or GC68.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I find at least one or two blades that can rival the Rapira Platinum Lux.
proxy.php

I expect you'll find blades among those that better the Rapira.

I tried modern blades, but I really think that the vintage blades are where it’s at in terms of sharpness, smoothness, and longevity! My favorites in order are:

1. Personna 74
2. Wilkinson Light Brigade (the packaging just says “The Blade)
3. Gillette Platinum Plus in the gray dispenser

The vintage Made In England Wilkinson blades are all pretty good.

Good luck in your quest!

Vr

Matt

One blade for only 10 days? o_O
That's hardly a fair test of a single blade.
That blade sampler alone would probably last me 3 years.

Just kidding. There are probably a few types I would not like, and they'd end up in the back of the drawer.

Oh. Pity it did not have Astra Superior Platinum blades in it (my favourite). Similar performance to Gillette Silver Blue, but half the price.

Last edited:

I have used every one of the blades in your sample pack with the exception of the Lord Platinum. However, I recently purchased some Shark Platinum blades. The Shark Super Chrome blades to be too dull for my beard, but I found the Shark Platinums to be very good indeed. I hope the Lord Platinums are just as good.

In my experience (coarse beard, sensitive skin) I find the Astra Superior Stainless to be pretty close to the Rapira Platinum Lux. I have a 100 pack in the mail. The Gillette Platinum, Silver Blue and 7 O'Clock Yellow blades are good blades, but perhaps not quite as sharp as the Rapira PL. For me, they are great blades for an aggressive razor.

I find the BIC Chrome Platinum, PermaSharp, Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Black blades to be some of the sharpest blades available. If you like sharp blades, you should love these. Of course, Feather blades are also sharp out of the package, but my beard destroys the edge in only a couple of shaves and they become too harsh to complete a third shave. Thus, I prefer the others. I can get 3-4 shaves from them.

Of course, Feather blades are also sharp out of the package, but my beard destroys the edge in only a couple of shaves and they become too harsh to complete a third shave. Thus, I prefer the others. I can get 3-4 shaves from them.
I had a similar experience with the QShave Titanium blades that came with their Futur clone, only more so.
The first time I used one I was all "wow! this is the best first shave (on a new blade) ever!" Better than a Feather, I thought. Sharp, yet smooth.
The second shave on it felt like a Feather at 10 shaves, the third was like a Feather at 20 shaves. I think I tossed it after shave #3, which is the least use I've ever gotten out of a single blade.
That first shave though, was great.

One blade for only 10 days? o_O
That's hardly a fair test of a single blade.
That blade sampler alone would probably last me 3 years.

Just kidding. There are probably a few types I would not like, and they'd end up in the back of the drawer.

Oh. Pity it did not have Astra Superior Platinum blades in it (my favourite). Similar performance to Gillette Silver Blue, but half the price.
The AstraSP blades are already in my regular rotation. I am just trying out some more blades because the Personna Reds don't do well enough for me anymore.

Top Bottom