What's new

Need AS and/or soap ideas for Christmas.

My family is looking for stocking/ small gift ideas for me. I would like to expand my collection of aftershaves (and soap as well if there are some must haves).

I have and use the following regularly:

Cold River Soap Works:
- Jardin D'Orange. I like this scent. Woodsy/ earthy with a hint of citrus.
- Puro Fresco: Barbershop/ lemony to me. Also like.
- Juniper - Just started using this one. Smells obviously like Juniper. Not sure if I'm in love with it or not.

B&M:
- Bay Rum. Love it. I have Captains choice Bay Rum aftershave (its my only current aftershave)

Haslinger:
-Shafmilch (almost out)
- Sandalwood.

I have Tabac and I'm not a huge fan.

Any aftershave recommendations that would pair well with some of those? Any particular soaps that would round out my collection? Performance wise I seem to enjoy Haslinger the best, B&M second, and then CRSW. I've used Col Conk and Stirling and didn't have the best luck with their lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Haslinger Sandalwood Soap: Captain's Choice Sandalwood, Wet Shaving Products Sandalwood, Fine Accoutrements' Santal Absolut
For B&M Bay Rum: Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails (Co9T) (stronger and longer lasting than CC Bay Rum)
For CRSW Jardin D'Orange: Fine Accoutrements' L'Orange Noir
For CRSW Juniper (if you decide you like it): Captain's Choice North

Hope this helps. :001_smile

definitely will echo the L'Orange Noir recommendation ... I love that stuff, and the wife does too :)

I'd throw in Fine's Italian Citrus too ... since you like citrusy scents

For a special, and a little different take on Bay Rum, Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve is really nice, but availability can be limited.

a B&M Seville set would be nice ... and a little different take on the barbershop scent.

definitely will echo the L'Orange Noir recommendation ... I love that stuff, and the wife does too :)

I'd throw in Fine's Italian Citrus too ... since you like citrusy scents

For a special, and a little different take on Bay Rum, Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve is really nice, but availability can be limited.

a B&M Seville set would be nice ... and a little different take on the barbershop scent.

B&M Seville soap and AS is excellent, IMO. :thumbup1:

you're very lucky, sir bgusty, to have family supporting your shaving passion!
some ideas, which there is still time to order from Amazon or wherever...

Speick aftershave and/or stick
Mitchell Wool Fat soap
Any Myrsol aftershave
Proraso Green aftershave
Royall Spyce splash

If you like Bay Rum aftershaves I would suggest Ogallala Bay Rum and Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood. Agree with the above poster with Fine L'Orange Noir with your orange woodsy soap. B&M Seville Soap and Aftershave no doubt. RazoRock Santa Maria Soap and matching aftershave. It is a green tobacco with vanilla that is similar to a Sandalwood and a knock off on the famous and original Santa Maria Novella soap and aftershave. Awesome scent and performance. I like Stirling Aftershaves better than their soaps. They have a ton of aftershaves that are great in performance and scent with staying power. Mike's Natural Soaps makes some good soaps with interesting scents. I love Fine and Stirling aftershaves and B&M and Mike's Natural Soaps for Shaving soaps.

If you want to try an awesome old school Italian croap try Boellis Panama 1924. It is your standard Italian Almond scent but the slickness and post shave feel is incredible. You can buy a 250 gram brick for like $48 from Bull Goose which is enough to fill two 4 oz empty soap containers. I find it is a little slicker and a little better in the post shave feel department than B&M. The shave is silky smooth.

Wholly Kaw is a new artisan soap maker that is getting a lot of great reviews. I haven't tried any of their products yet though but I intend to try them out very soon.

CRSW Puro Fresco is a soap that I've been struggling to find a good match for too. It has a ginger component to it that I really like but I feel like that makes it need something that's different than a straight-up citrus to match well with, and I don't know what that is...

Fine l'orange noir is a good match for the Jardin d'orange as has been mentioned, I like that one and also Santa Paula from Chiseled Face.

B&M Seville aftershave is strong citrus/lemon with a powder barbershop dry down that would match your Puro Fresco but you might as well get the soap as well because it is great.

You seem to be devoid of lavender in the rotation so might want to try Hungarian Lavender soap from Mike's Natural.

Too early to report on all but I just picked up a West Coast Shaving sample pack of their private label soaps and the Denali was quite nice - funny because it was not one of the ones that made me want to try them - go figure ;-)

I recommend trying something from Declaration Grooming. The Bandwagon line is great, their version of a barbershop scent. Their soaps and aftershaves are top notch.

If Captain's Choice Bay Rum is your splash (great one), look for Derby City Chop Shop Shave Tonic - I've never tried it, but have only read great reviews. Also, look for Royall Bay Rhum.

Sticks would make great stuffers, most of them are pretty good, and don't cost much.

La Toja, LEA, Speick, Wilkinson blue, Palmolive, Valobra, and Arko. Proraso Green cream or soap is almost a must have, super nice in the summer with the menthol.

Nothing wrong with many of the Aftershaves they could grab off the self at most stores. Aqua Velva, Mennen, etc. Even store brand knockoffs.

Little more $ splashes. La Toja, Speick, Pitralon Classic, and Proraso Green. All nice with clean scents.

I suggest that you try a few more of the Haslinger's soap options, or perhaps MWF. All perform great IMO!

For AS I suggest you try some of the Fine (especially American Blend) or Stirling options.

So far seeing a lot of love for b&m seville and fine accouterments L’orange.

Few votes for chop shop, stirling, and speick as well. All good things to look into!

WELL .. there's always Old Spice either 'Classic or Original', then there's Stirling Spice w/added menthol, or there's Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice. No shave den is complete or has begun without an AS with "Spice" in it. And fwiw, I like alcohol in my AS splashes. ;)

JAT :001_cool:

Top Bottom