What's new

Need advice & opinions on a point & shoot

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hi, folks. I think this is my first posted in The Darkroom.
I'm looking to get a good point & shoot camera. I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix P&S line. ASFAIK the high end DSLRs & mirrorless are well thought of, but I'm not looking for multi Kilo$$$ or anything that complicated.
Some if the Lumix P&S line look good for the money, $400-800 (pretty much my limit).
I want a telephoto lens, roughly 35-90 mm maybe up to about 120mm.
One more thing. I'd like a viewfinder, not just the screen on the back.
Ease of transfer to my cellphone for uploading to FB & of course here.
Any adivice, especially on the Lumix line, would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
If you're thinking Panasonic I would just go micro 4/3 and get the GX85 kit with 2 lenses. At $600 it's well within you're price range and I've had one for a few years and love it to pieces. Or if you are willing to go with used check Amazon warehouse I bought my GX9 used acceptable for $540 with the lens only thing wrong with it was it was missing the box all other accessories were there including the manual, only scratch on it was on the rubber charging port door, and shutter count was only 800.

If you really want point and shoot I would get one with the micro 4/3 sensor or at least a 1 inch sensor, any smaller and you might as just use your phone. Smaller sensors do work well for superzooms, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

I can't say how well any of these do with transferring to phone I think both the GX85 and GX9 are supposed to do it but I like to edit and post from my laptop.

Other's I would consider, but have no personal experience with would be.
Sony A6000 That would be at the high end of your budget, but could probably find a deal for used.
Olympus EM10 there are a few different versions Mk1-mk4 a 2 or 3 is probably the best value.

Hi,

If was on the market for a Panasonic P/S camera I would be looking at DC-LX100 . Small p/s with manual controls. But the lens lacks the telephoto capabilities you’re looking for.

Therefore there is another alternative.

DcZs200

captp

Hi,

If was on the market for a Panasonic P/S camera I would be looking at DC-LX100 . Small p/s with manual controls. But the lens lacks the telephoto capabilities you’re looking for.

Therefore there is another alternative.

DcZs200
Thanks. The DC-LX100II ticks all the boxes. Only goes to 75mm, but that's not a dealbreaker.

captp

After reading several reviews of the Lumix DC-LX100II, it looks like it's way more camera than I need.
But, as I often say, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
I'll be ordering it in the next few days. With extra battery & charger and 64GB memory card.
It should serve me well in my trip to England in July.

Legion

Staff member
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve had much to do with cameras, but when I did Sony Rx100 range was a popular choice, and they had one with a slightly longer zoom that met all your requirements. I think the model VI.

The 1” sensor is what really sets this sort of camera above a smart phone, so unless you go to this level, you might as well stick with your phone, or go up to an interchangeable lens camera.

captp

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve had much to do with cameras, but when I did Sony Rx100 range was a popular choice, and they had one with a slightly longer zoom that met all your requirements. I think the model VI.

The 1” sensor is what really sets this sort of camera above a smart phone, so unless you go to this level, you might as well stick with your phone, or go up to an interchangeable lens camera.
Panasonic Lumix LX-100 MK II Already ordered and on its way.
I looked at a number of brands, Sony among them, before settling on the Lumix LX100 II. I was originally going for a very simple P&S, but then decided I wanted something that would challenge me. 4/3 sensor (almost twice the area of a 1", I think), lots of controls
As good as the camera on my LG V60 is, I don't really like taking pics with it (or any cell phone); just too clumsy for my liking.
I definitely didn't want an interchangeable lens camera; wanted something fairly compact, but not too tiny.
The Lumix pretty much ticks all the boxes.

Of course, as with so many things, I may be totally flummoxed.

Legion

Staff member
Fair enough. I played with the Mk1 version a fair bit, and it was nice. The main reason suggested the sony was the bigger zoom range, but the panasonics are excellent. With the old version you used to be able to spend about twice as much and get basically the same camera with a Leica badge and a nicer box.

captp

The Lumix LX100 II just arrived. About 15 minutes before I was ready to leave for The Club.
It's going to be a steep learning curve for this old guy. Nice and compact, fits my Scott E-Vest pocket nicely, but not with the case for it (kinda thought it might not). Lotsa bells & whistles, more than I can learn quickly, but I should have it down by the time I leave for England in July (2 weeks, yeah baby).
Took a few indoor shots (no flash) just too see what it can do. Very nice, I must say.
Had to take a shot of it with my cellphone.
0422221442~2.jpg

Once I get used to it, I'll post some shots taken with it.
Ordered a Popov Leather hand strap (black, of course). Had to go with some quality.

The Lumix LX100 II just arrived. About 15 minutes before I was ready to leave for The Club.
It's going to be a steep learning curve for this old guy. Nice and compact, fits my Scott E-Vest pocket nicely, but not with the case for it (kinda thought it might not). Lotsa bells & whistles, more than I can learn quickly, but I should have it down by the time I leave for England in July (2 weeks, yeah baby).
Took a few indoor shots (no flash) just too see what it can do. Very nice, I must say.
Had to take a shot of it with my cellphone.
View attachment 1444092

Once I get used to it, I'll post some shots taken with it.
Ordered a Popov Leather hand strap (black, of course). Had to go with some quality.
I'm glad you found something you like. Just about any camera made in the last five or ten years will take great pictures. Finding something that makes it easy to take the kind of pictures you want sometimes is a little harder.

Top Bottom