What's new

Need advice on watch for new job.

At the budget end of the market there is some debate as to whether Orient or Seiko offer the best watches, but at your price range, Grand Seiko are almost certainly a half-step up from Royal Orient and definitely a full step up from Omega, Tag or even Rolex. They are sublime instruments. I hope they have some you like. Also, if you see someone wearing a GS, you know they know what watches are about and haven't just went down to the mall with loads of cash.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection

Not sure I would ever pay four figures for a Seiko... These GS watches look ok, but these prices are nowhere near warranted for the brand of watch they are.

The appearance of the Spring Drive is comical... why not just buy the Rollie Sub?

Not to be too persnickety, but I'm not sure a chronograph is ever truly a dress watch. That being said, if you want something less common, check out the Limes Pharo collection. Limes makes some beautiful watches. Although, if I could afford it, the IWC that Cuttingboard posted is stunning.

Finally--and a little off topic--not all Rolexes are over the top. The original Explorer I is a simple, timeless watch.

Have you looked at used Breitlings? You should be able to find one for under $4k. If you like that slightly militaristic look to your chronos. You may want to check into Marathon, they make a killer chrono in their CSAR.

You can get a nice used Breit, in a modern style in the $2k range. I'm a superocean fan myself and I got mind used from a local jewelers in excellent condition.

Not to be too persnickety, but I'm not sure a chronograph is ever truly a dress watch.

I agree 100%. Have a second look at IWC, Patek Philippe or Baume et Mercier's Classima for some nice suggestions.

I've always found that people seem to think that more complications means you spent more money. I have a chronograph on my Bulova. I've used it a half dozen times to time presentations during boring meetings.
It's more of a novelty for me.

Finally--and a little off topic--not all Rolexes are over the top. The original Explorer I is a simple, timeless watch.

I love the look of the datejust. It's a classic design.

Well working on getting a new job and I want to get a nice watch. I have been looking at Omega, tag, IWC, and a few others. I dont want a rolex. I know verry few make movements in house and tag has started making one of their movements in house. I am looking for a nice dress chrono with a leather strap. I was looking at a Omega speedmaster and would add the strap, tag carrera with a leather strap but not exactly sure which one( like the day and date), and looking at a few other watches with the valjoux 7750 and 7751 in them. What do you guys think. I want to stick around 4k or less I think.

Don't know if I'm too late to this party, but here's my 2c. At 4K or less you can probably forget about the Speedmaster, they start at about $4,200.00. FYI, Omega does make the Speedmaster with a date (the Speedmaster Automatic). I think Tags are overpriced and too common, personally, but they obviously have their fans. Someone mentioned Breitling, which I agree is an excellent choice and can be found rather easily in your price range, used.

I own a vintage Rolex Datejust that I wear for work. It's very professional looking. I never thought I'd buy a Rolex, but I chose this one over a vintage Speedmaster (same year same price) because the Speedmaster just looked too damned big on my wrist.

Patek Phillip, IWC, and some of the others mentioned are all excellent watches, but are probably well out of your price range.

I own a vintage Rolex Datejust that I wear for work. It's very professional looking. I never thought I'd buy a Rolex, but I chose this one over a vintage Speedmaster (same year same price) because the Speedmaster just looked too damned big on my wrist.

Can't agree more. For dress purposes, anything bigger than 36 mm dia. is unweildy.

Living in smalltown England through the '80s, every wannabie had a Rolex - fake, naturally - and I began to despise the brand for being tacky.

But as a WIS I am constantly drawn to vintage Rolex. . . Air King, Precision and the old-style, round numbered 1016 Explorer - pure class!

Having said that, I'd recommend the vintage route, whatever the maker.

^^ Hello fellow WIS!

Although I only own one watch (the horror...) it is dear to me because it was previously my father's. That said, it is sized at 34.5mm without the crown, and 38mm with. Normally this would be too small for a man, but with my small wrists and devil-may-care attitude, it goes nicely.

Anyway, I have to disagree with the idea of Breitling as a dress watch of any kind (or watch, for that matter ;) ). A dressy chronograph seems to be anathema to me, but naturally ymmv.

I would look into a simple JLC or a Rolex (just kidding, I share the same sentiments in that department).

Ahhhh JLC might run you over 4000 (ok, it will :) ).

If your mind is set on the Speedy, go for it, because looking around for any longer will make you a WIS and believe me, it is a disease ;) .

Take a look at the IWC Portofino Chronograph

proxy.php

Or, save some money and pick up a Hamilton Jazzmaster.

Jazzmaster Viewmatic:
proxy.php

Jazzmaster Maestro:
proxy.php

Jazzmaster Lord Hamilton:
proxy.php

I'd go for the Omega Speedy Pro or whatever Seamaster Chrono you like the best. I went to check out a Speedy Pro and a Seamaster Planet Ocean last weekend in hopes of figuring out which one I would like to get, but I left more confused. They are both top notch watches.

There are quite a few nice watches in that price range in addition to Omega and Tag...

Ball
Breitling
Hamilton

Do you ever plan on wearing khakis, brown pants, or anything with a brown belt? If so, you might want to consider splitting that budget over a couple of watches... maybe even 3 (black, brown, stainless/polished). I, personally, really like the Tissot PRC line for inexpensive chronographs. If I'm buying a Chronograph, I prefer Quartz... automatic chronographs are overly complex and that complexity (along with the name) is what you're paying for, not a real technical advantage. I may be in the minority, but I would preffer 3 or 4 $250 - $1000 watches over a single $4k+ watch.

Yet again a B&B thread has me itching to spend several thousand dollars.

I work in a fairly "stuffy" office environment and wouldn't worry about having pretty much any of these watches on my wrist. Nor would I be afraid to wear a Rolex. The only downside to the Rolex is the name recognition, people assume it is very expensive, when you can spend just as much on brands a lot of folks have never heard of.

I'm sure all of this is YMMV. Most certainly what watch is "THE WATCH" depends on who you roll with and what you do. I am of the opinion if you love it or even like it "Rock It" to your hearts desire.

YOU make the watch. Not the other way around. :biggrin1:

If you don't mind buying preloved, post a WTB on the different watch forums. You should easily find a preloved Speedy between $1800-$2500. There are some Omega AD's that discount up to 30%, so a new Speedmaster should still easily come in under your 4k budget.
You can spend a couple of hours on the watch forums and identify the trustworthy sellers and save enough cash to buy a couple of nice watches.
You'll love the Speedy...I do
proxy.php

Not sure I would ever pay four figures for a Seiko....these prices are nowhere near warranted for the brand of watch they are

I'm afraid you're just showing your ignorance there Baron. Anyone who knows their watches is aware of the fact that these are outstanding value- far better v.f.m. than any Rolex. The first service in the GS high end quartz models is recommended after 50 years. Seiko is a hugely respected company at all levels of the market. Of course if you just want to impress the mall-traffic, that's your call.

i'm afraid you're just showing your ignorance there baron. Anyone who knows their watches is aware of the fact that these are outstanding value- far better v.f.m. Than any rolex. The first service in the gs high end quartz models is recommended after 50 years. Seiko is a hugely respected company at all levels of the market. Of course if you just want to impress the mall-traffic, that's your call.

+1

Top Bottom