What's new

Need advice on watch for new job.

Well working on getting a new job and I want to get a nice watch. I have been looking at Omega, tag, IWC, and a few others. I dont want a rolex. I know verry few make movements in house and tag has started making one of their movements in house. I am looking for a nice dress chrono with a leather strap. I was looking at a Omega speedmaster and would add the strap, tag carrera with a leather strap but not exactly sure which one( like the day and date), and looking at a few other watches with the valjoux 7750 and 7751 in them. What do you guys think. I want to stick around 4k or less I think.

Tiffany's has some nice watches with black leather straps. The Atlas Stainless Steel model runs a cool 3100. It's not a chronograph, but it's a very clean design.

If you want a decent chrono under 4k, I might point you toward canadian retailer Birks. I can only assume they don't make their own movements - and, being that they are a jeweler, the casing is what they care about, and they are nice casings.

Try visiting a watchmaker and see what he has for sale. I know a few in Montreal and they all seem to have a number of nice watches that they've fixed up. It's like visiting a barber and asking if he's got any straight razors he might part with; you never know what you'll find.

Tiffany's has some nice watches with black leather straps. The Atlas Stainless Steel model runs a cool 3100. It's not a chronograph, but it's a very clean design.

If you want a decent chrono under 4k, I might point you toward canadian retailer Birks. I can only assume they don't make their own movements - and, being that they are a jeweler, the casing is what they care about, and they are nice casings.

Try visiting a watchmaker and see what he has for sale. I know a few in Montreal and they all seem to have a number of nice watches that they've fixed up. It's like visiting a barber and asking if he's got any straight razors he might part with; you never know what you'll find.

I looked at Birks and unfortunately they are all quartz movements. 1.3k for a quarts is not what I am looking for.

With the watches you are looking you can't go wrong with the Omega or the IWC. it's a matter of which you like the best. There are really countless watches out there in that price range. Also check out some of the Seiko offerings like the Ananta Line and the Grand Seiko's.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well working on getting a new job and I want to get a nice watch. I have been looking at Omega, tag, IWC, and a few others. I dont want a rolex. I know verry few make movements in house and tag has started making one of their movements in house. I am looking for a nice dress chrono with a leather strap. I was looking at a Omega speedmaster and would add the strap, tag carrera with a leather strap but not exactly sure which one( like the day and date), and looking at a few other watches with the valjoux 7750 and 7751 in them. What do you guys think. I want to stick around 4k or less I think.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SAGH005/SEIKO-BRIGHTZ-PHOENIX-SAGH005-Automatic-Chronograph.html

Seiko makes movements in-house.

For an automatic with in house movements, you may also want to consider Orient watches. Their reputation is solid and they have a strong following among the watch aficionados on this website.

I think either IWC or Speedmaster. Both are nice, with great traditions, good fit-and-finish, etc.... I always think of TAG as one step lower than those, but I know that they do make nice mechanical watches, they are always associated with flashy quartz.

It sounds as though you want a sporty chronograph, so have you looked at Breiting or Zenith?

In-house movements are over-rated imo, you are not really going to find a watch that was slaved over from start to finish by a craftsman who made every single spring and wheel by hand at that price range. Save up for a Patek.

Cartier have very nice watches as well as mont blanc. i think that Omega an tags all kind of look alike just my opinion

then take a look at the Longines Heritage line. They have a few re-issues and watches inspired by some of their classic designs. They're dressier and would look good with a suit and tie, if that's what your job demands.

Also, don't forget Panerai - their contemporary line includes very nice Luminor and Radiomir chronographs. You can really change the look of those watches just by changing out the straps - alligator straps dress them up and plain leather lets you use them in more casual environments. The Panerais (contemporary Luminors) have a quick strap-change system that makes changing out straps very easy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a Speedy Pro.

It's a timeless classic. It will always look stylish but never look faddish. Looks great on a bracelet or strap.

The movement is bullet proof, but manual wind, so you have to be OK with that. And of course it does not have a date function.

Try winding it before you buy one. It has a prominent crown guard so it can be difficult to wind.

I almost bought one last summer but did not because I can't wind it, my fingertips don't function so well anymore. Broke my heart,lol.

I ended up buying a 42mm Aqua Terra with a white dial, great watch, but just not a Speedy Pro.

Congrats on a new watch, it is a lifetime investment.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Is this a reward for when you land the new job or are you looking for a suitable timepiece to suit the image you are trying to present for an interview . . . and day to day working life?

My everyday work watch is a Seiko Black Monster . Very good everyday watch . I am more into the vintage watches. With a suit I switch between my 1965 Omega Seamaster and a 1950 Tissot Automatic. i also have a 1984 Tudor Submariner that I wear from time to time .

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
chef8489:
Any Omega, Longines, Seiko and the like or even a vintage watch is a good fit for the work place, but certainly no Rolex's (too 'over the top'). :blush:

Christopher
proxy.php

While I am relatively new here I have collected and sold dozens and dozens of Chronographs and this one doesn't get any wrist time. Let me know if your interested. Watch is keeping good time. I also have the original stainless bracelet.

proxy.php

proxy.php

At the budget end of the market there is some debate as to whether Orient or Seiko offer the best watches, but at your price range, Grand Seiko are almost certainly a half-step up from Royal Orient and definitely a full step up from Omega, Tag or even Rolex. They are sublime instruments. I hope they have some you like. Also, if you see someone wearing a GS, you know they know what watches are about and haven't just went down to the mall with loads of cash.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection

Your idea of an Omega Speedmaster is excellent. It is a classic-timeless in design, great in heritage, top line company/reputation, can been worn everywhere, anytime (it is not a diver, however). It is the kind of watch investment you will not regret.

Have you looked at used Breitlings? You should be able to find one for under $4k. If you like that slightly militaristic look to your chronos. You may want to check into Marathon, they make a killer chrono in their CSAR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom