What's new

Need advice on this massive Sheffield

So I'm pretty new to this game, but I think I found something real special today at a nearby antique store, and I'd like some advice on whether or not it's a good purchase. The only markings on the razor are A. Leon, No 190 Solly, Sheffield.

thumbnail1.jpg

Through a little research, I discovered that Abraham Leon made knives and such in Sheffield until the mid 1890's. No 190 Solly is the address where the shop was located. The razor is absolutely massive. I didn't have a tape with me, but I'm guessing 9/8. At a minimum, it's an 8/8. In hindsight, I should have included something for scale. My hands are pretty big though - I wear a size 14 ring.

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

The scales are obviously junk. But do you think this is a good purchase (Sorry we dont discuss price or value)

Last edited by a moderator:
ALWAYS, ALWAYS haggle. You have nothing to lose. That rust does look like a concern, but I think most will say it is salvageable.

I'd offer him $50 and then start walking away if he doesn't take my offer. Good luck with that.

I"m fairly certain that the TOU preclude us from discussing prices and values.

I had no idea. Thank you, and I apologize.

I can no longer edit the original post to remove any mention of pricing and just discuss the rarity of the razor. Has anyone ever seen anything like it? Do any of y'all own razors from this company?

I have never read a bad review of a Sheffield razor. Take a tape measure and be sure of the size. The difference between 7/8, 8/8, and 9/8 is alot of $$$$$. Certainly not saying it is not 9/8 by a picture, but usually a 9/8 seems bigger when compared to the spine.

Thanks @azwetshaver , you're probably right, and it's an 8/8. I've never held anything bigger than 7/8 except this razor, and it blew me away with how big and thick it is. It felt like I was holding a Ka-Bar! I think I'll go back and purchase it next week so that it doesn't bother me anymore.

definitely take into account the honewear that already exists and the scales that you’ll need to add or pay someone for.

not a bad blade, especially if it really is 9/8s. some love or hate shaving with a 9/8s. thats a big width to get your vision around.

Top Bottom