What's new

Need advice on sharpening these

IMG_8337.jpeg

I just got a Henckels Rapide that I have been using GEM blades in. It came with these blades that are made to mimic a wedge blade by being inserted into these base portions. I do have an inbound holder that looks like a shavette. You insert the wedge blade into the shavette holder and then can scrape it along a sharpening stone. I imagine you could strop it if necessary as well.

I have more Henckels wedge blades due to arrive in a few days. And they are true wedge blades with no need to insert into an accessory to mimic a wedge. In the past I have shaved with a straight for a few years but moved to DE and now have been doing SE for variety.

So here is my question. What type of stone / stones should I get to sharpen these on? Synthetic? Do I really need a full progression of stones and if so do you have a suggestion for a source? Not looking to drop a ton of money in fancy stones, just want some that will get me what I need. Any thoughts or advice is welcome!

You should post this inquiry also in the straight razor sub forum. There are a lot more guys there that have blade sharpening experience.

Those are really cool razors. I am an open blade guy, but I use artist club shavettes, and when I used straights I sent them off for honing. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Top Bottom