What's new

Need advice from the HBIC (Head Badger in Charge)

luvmysuper

My Elbows Leak
I have been rapidly increasing my Shave Den by buying random "lots" of old razors.

This results in some junk that goes in a spare parts box and some really nice surprises.

It also results in some "repeaters", - meaning I have some razors that are back ups to the backups.

I'd like to PIF these razors to a worthy Noob, but;
1. I lack the judgement to determine who is a "worthy" Noob
2. I don't really want to give out my address (via return address) to some anonymous guy who may have registered on B&B 4 hours ago.

Is there a way for us to start a "PIF Pool" with someone responsible (senior moderator, webmaster etc) at B&B who could look at the posts and match the razor to the Noob?

I presume that all posts are eventually read by some moderator or another to weed out illegal / improper posts, and these guys would be in the best position to see someone who is in need of some Pay It Forward.

I would be happy to send some in to a specified senior type guy who I would be pretty sure wasn't some wierd "Craigs List" murderer, LOL

Anyway, Just an Idea - and thought I would bring it up.

There was an effort toward this a few months ago. I recall it getting off the ground; but, I lost track of it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help. Great idea...thanks in advance for your generosity!

There was an effort toward this a few months ago. I recall it getting off the ground; but, I lost track of it. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help. Great idea...thanks in advance for your generosity!

Several months ago, I had suggested a centralized Newbie-Kit service ... one person who would volunteer to collect and re-distribute an assortment of razors, blades, creams, ASBs, etc.

B&B Members with a surplus of goods would send these to the volunteer, and then the hardware and software would be bundled up in a kit to be sent on to interested individuals at nominal cost. At least enough to cover postage and packaging.

The recipient would receive a mystery box, since there would be no way to predict what brands it might contain. But it would be enough to get them started. After all, when you're just starting out, having ANY BRAND of razor + blade + soap + ASB is better than having none at all.

The idea took off like a rocket, someone volunteered within a few hours, and they got clearance from at least one moderator. When they posted a thread to start collecting materials, they were immediately shot down.
The thread was deleted, the moderators went behind closed doors to discuss it, and I don't know what was finally decided.

I still think the idea is a good one, and you are to be commended for offering your razors for this cause. Hopefully, this time around, the mods will see clear to allow a project like this to see the light of day.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My Elbows Leak
I can personally see some problems with having a volunteer do this. I mean, who is to say that the volunteer won't confiscate the tasty bits for himself and pass on the chaff to the unknowing Noobs?

That is why I suggested someone senior at B&B who has some level of responsibility and trust.

My wife has suggested that I just get a Post Office Box and do the PIF myself, but agaion my "lazy" factor kicks in and this means I have to look at the number of posts, the requests of the guy, the available stock etc.

There has to be some thought in it, as you wouldn't want to send a DE out to someone who was thinking about a GEM, or a Merkur or Parker or Weishi to someone who was interested in a vintage Gillette.

I'll wait and see what the Masters of this Universe have to say, but barring some intervention, I guess I will just have to get that P.O. Box and do a little leg work.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Or, take a few pictures of what you got and I might send you money in exchange :biggrin:

Top Bottom