What's new

Need advice - best SE razor

Let me begin by saying I believe the Schick Type G SE razor is God's gift to wet-shavers. It is an engineering marvel that is unmatched in terms of design and function. It is my all time favourite SE razor.

So, with that as a preamble, I am considering buying a modern SE razor...and I wanted to seek the advice of those who have dipped their toe in the modern SE pool to get some advice on what models I should consider. Also please comment on blades that match the razor you suggest in terms of availability and sharpness. Cost of razor and blades is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

My favorite modern SE razors (I haven't gotten into the injectors yet) are The General AC razor with a Kai blade guard blade or the Blackland Sabre L2 with a Personna coated GEM blade.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't used the two G model Schick razors I inherited from my mother a few months ago. I do have blades for them and will try them eventually.

I do have an ESC Claymore Evolution AC and use it for every shave around my nose. It gets closer to the edge of my nose and up into the nostrils better than any razor I own. The Claymore Evo was my only razor for ~5.5 months when I first started wet shaving.

I also have the very fine ATT X1 AC Slant. It easily made it into my top 6 razor list. It provides smooth, relaxing, comfortable yet close shaves for me that last 12 hours.

I have tried most of the AC blades and though it defies logic, I do better with the Feather ProGuard and Kai Captain Mild Titan Protouch MG blades. They are both guarded and the guard is really designed for barber razors. I get 6 shaves from each blade... and only get 3 from the non-guarded blades. Go figure....... YMMV, of course.

TL; DR: I’d recommend buying an inexpensive razor in your chosen format and then if you like it buy a Blackland Razor or Wolfman…they’re amazing.

Tough question. I have no experience with injectors so please keep that in mind.

For modern SE razors I’ve owned and used the Vector SS SB, Aluminum Hawk, Sabre L1 and L2, and the Wolfman WR3.

For my face, whiskers, technique, and desired results I have found that the GEM PTFE blade format works the best for me.

All of the SE razors that I listed worked well and the two AC razors (Vector & Hawk) performed great with various blades.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Blackland Razors Vector or Sabre.

I still have and love my Wolfman SS WR3 .60 OC and it works perfectly for me. If you like GEM format razors the WR3 is stunning and you can tweak its performance with the many options for razor material, blade gap, OC/SB.

Before venturing Into a modern GEM razor I would recommend trying a vintage razor they are inexpensive and perform great and you can find out if you like that style of razor without expending significant funds.

I’d also recommend the Aluminum Hawk or similar as an introduction to AC blades for the same cost reasons.

There is supposed to be a Wolfman WR4 being released soon and I think it is an AC format razor.

The Blackland Razors and Wolfman are impeccably designed and produced by seriously skilled artisans/craftsmen and will last and perform for multiple generations.

Good luck and have fun with the search.

I love my Blackland Vector and RazoRock Hawk V3, both AC blade formats.
I also love my Schick Injectors, E, G, I, K, and especially the L series (Grip and Stick).
That being said, if you're looking to try a different SE blade format, explore the AC razors. But don't be too surprised if you keep going back to your trusty G.

I love my Blackland Vector and RazoRock Hawk V3, both AC blade formats.
I also love my Schick Injectors, E, G, I, K, and especially the L series (Grip and Stick).
That being said, if you're looking to try a different SE blade format, explore the AC razors. But don't be too surprised if you keep going back to your trusty G.
I agree. Even though I am interested in buying a modern SE, I have a feeling it will be difficult to replace the perfection that is the Type G.

Please do not go new. I can see the allure. Vintage SE user to another. Don’t go modern. Our numbers are dwindling. We are a rare breed. We don’t want to lose another one. Our numbers are small.

I swear by the 1924 ever ready shovel head razor with the long handle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be keeping a close eye on what James of Wolfman fame comes up with for his WR4 AC razor. It is supposed to be released for sale sometime in May.... but you know how these projected dates come out. He's been working on it for a while now, so he might make the May time frame.

The La Faulx is a bit out of my price range.. says the guy who just bought a Wolfman. <eg> evil grin :devil: I didn't add my name to the trial list because, I just don't need that kind of temptation at the moment. ;)

I don't own anything newer than a GEM G-Bar so I can't provide advice, but I have gifted my youngest son with any mix of DE/SE vintage razors and then a Twig Thorn at Christmas (a new SE that takes half of a DE blade) and while he still prefers the vintage SE razors, the Thorn is his go-to for a quick bloodless shave (even if it isn't as efficient as his vintage razors).

Top Bottom