What's new

Need a suggestion for Coffee

Hey there.

my two cents!

If you want something that's more widely available, I've heard Illy whole bean is good, if you like dark roasts. it's on the pricey side, but their quality-control is crazy-good, ensuring consistency.

-L.

I've never tried Illy's whole bean through a store. A local coffee shop only uses Illy beans for coffee and espresso. They do in fact make more than just a dark Italian roast. I also buy cans of the pre ground stuff since I don't have a good enough grinder for espresso. I actually prefer their medium roast for espresso over the dark. It is kind of expensive, but very good.

Peets is almost as bad as *$ when it comes to over-roasting. Not for me. Canned Illy is good for about a microsecond after you open the can, then it is stale swill, IMO. Do yourself a favor and try DJ's stuff at Ristretto Roasters, or Intelligentsia via the internet.

for canadian vendors:

Birds and beans - Toronto
49th Parallel in vancouver
Elisyian Room vancouver
Jj BEan vancouver
Intelligenstsia in Chicago is good
coffee emergency in Missouri ( I think??)
Victrola in Seattle
Cafe Vivace in Seattle

I think most do mail order

Barry

Hi all,

Boca Java is offering 4 (8 ounce) bags of coffee for $7.95 shipped if you join their coffee club. They have a "refer a friend" option and I can send you the info.

Patrick

I know you said you don't want to change your process but, unitl you do, coffee will always be just... Okay.

Invest in a good quality pump driven expresso machine. Don't get a cheap steam driven one.

Just like razors, not all coffee machines are created equal. That goes for grinders as well.

Do the research and get yourself a serious grinder, something like a Rancilio Rocky.

When you put the two together, with fresh roasted beans, you'll realize what you've been missing. You will buy less coffee out because it won't measure up to what you make at home.

The down side is that everyone you know will be dropping around your place for a cup of Joe.

I have some friends and relatives now who only drink coffee at my house.

The difference is crazy.

Lets put it in razor terms;

Drip = Bic disposable
Bodem = Schick Quatro
Steam driven machine = Fusion
Pump driven machine = Double Edged Razor
Pump machine with a real grinder = Straight Edge Razor

:biggrin:

I know you said you don't want to change your process but, unitl you do, coffee will always be just... Okay.

Invest in a good quality pump driven expresso machine. Don't get a cheap steam driven one.

Just like razors, not all coffee machines are created equal. That goes for grinders as well.

Do the research and get yourself a serious grinder, something like a Rancilio Rocky.

When you put the two together, with fresh roasted beans, you'll realize what you've been missing. You will buy less coffee out because it won't measure up to what you make at home.

The down side is that everyone you know will be dropping around your place for a cup of Joe.

The difference is crazy.

Drip = Bic disposable
Bodem = Gillette Quatro

when did Gillette buy Schick?!?!? :biggrin1:

I myself use a Bodum french press to brew my coffee at home 99% of the time, but I just use community, folgers, or maxwell house ground coffee....I would like someday to get a little more involved in roasting and grinding, but right just don't have the time, and especially not the $$$ to justify it at the moment. Not exactly answering the post, I know, but just my $.00002 worth

The difference is crazy.

Drip = Bic disposable
Bodem = Schick Quatro

I'm not sure I agree. Good coffee can come from a variety of methods, including simple pour over drip to high end espresso. I love a great espresso, but wouldn't want to drink it all the time. My Technivorm drip machine makes a killer pot. Use fresh beans, a good grinder, and water of the proper temperature and you'll get something great regardless of the process you pick.

John,

You are absolutely right. One can certainly go along way with proper techiquee and good beans. It's just that you can go further with all the other bits and pieces. Is it worth the cost for it all though?

It's like anything else, as long as you enjoy it, I'm in no position to disagree.

And here's my last point on this topic.

Nothing beats a good brew while you're shaving. Just watch that you don't put the shave cream in your coffee.:biggrin:

John,

You are absolutely right. One can certainly go along way with proper techiquee and good beans. It's just that you can go further with all the other bits and pieces. Is it worth the cost for it all though?

It's like anything else, as long as you enjoy it, I'm in no position to disagree.

And here's my last point on this topic.

Nothing beats a good brew while you're shaving. Just watch that you don't put the shave cream in your coffee.:biggrin:

"Wow! I didn't know I had Southern Butter Pecan shave cream! Oh, wait....."

My god, doesn't anyone drink Sanka!!!:lol1::lol:

I've never liked Starbucks- aside from needing to learn a new made up language to order a coffee (I'm barely capable of ordering a medium regular at Dunkin' until I've had a cup in the morning- no way am I trying Frapa..vente..whatever.)

Now, I like a good cup of coffee (which based on you guys and what has already been discussed, I have never had...:blushing:), but I don't think I'm on par with you all.

Personally, I like Boston Coffee Roasters/Boston Bean Roasters, when you can find them. They don't sell their own stuff outright normally- they do private label stuff unless they have a huge surplus of beans and I like some Gevalia.
All the local roasters I had tried in the past (my pop was obsessed with finding better coffee many years ago) had a tendency to over roast/burn the beans, and seriously overcharge for the privilege.

Top Bottom