What's new

Need a new soap and dish

So dropped my cheapo apothacary soap mug I got when I first started DE shaving a few years ago and it shattered this last weekend. What was left of my soap(mens soap company Himylayan) skitted behind the toilet so didnt even try to save it(there wasnt a lot anyway). Anyway looking for a new soap! The one I had was okay but nothijg special. Personal preference is a soap not made from animal products. Anyone have any recommendations? I am also curious what people use as far as mugs/bowls, dish for soap.

For a vegan soap, I've heard some really REALLY glowing reviews of Sudsey Soapery. I've not tried their offerings personally, but a lot of very experienced soap lovers seem to think it's the only vegan option that can hang with the best tallow soaps.

Personally, right now I am using a cereal bowl from my kitchen for samples. Usually I load right from the puck when I have a full tub.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Pannacrema Nuavia is vegan and comes in a nice ceramic bowl

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 11.39.35 PM.png

Saponificio Varesino has nice vegan soaps too

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 11.43.04 PM.png

Okay so I decided to give SV Dolomiti a try. That pannacrema sounds fantastic but its pricy. So what are the dimension of an SV puck? I cant find a number online only the dimensions of its box. I am thinking of ordering just another apothecary mug as i liked it well enough but Also saw there is a specific wooden dish made for them as well. Does anyone have one of these? Is it big enough to whip up the lather in the dish without making a mess? Saponificio Varesino Alder Wood Shave Soap Bowl

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Okay so I decided to give SV Dolomiti a try. That pannacrema sounds fantastic but its pricy. So what are the dimension of an SV puck? I cant find a number online only the dimensions of its box. I am thinking of ordering just another apothecary mug as i liked it well enough but Also saw there is a specific wooden dish made for them as well. Does anyone have one of these? Is it big enough to whip up the lather in the dish without making a mess? Saponificio Varesino Alder Wood Shave Soap Bowl

I Haven't used their shave bowl, nor the Dolomiti. I've only used the v4.3 formulation of SV in their tins. Cool bowl though. BTW, it's not a "storage" bowl, just a lather bowl. SV recommends you do not store your soap in it.

As far as Nuavia's price, you can get at ConnaughtShaving for $40 (USD) which is a good bit less expensive than the Dolomiti/bowl option ($64 + shipping at Bullgoose). And you get free shipping from Connaught on orders over $60 (shouldn't be hard to add something to get you to the free shipping threshold :001_smile). So any way you cut it, Nuavia is less expensive. Just sayin'

PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu

Edit: I just checks and my SV tins are about 85mm in width.

Last edited:
No worries. Well the ideal for me is a good soap and a resuable container. I prefer to throw away as little as possible. How long does the pannacrema last? Worth the price? I am not opposed to paying that much but it's not exactly budget friendly and I wpuld prefer a reusable dish for my soap. :p

shavefan

I’m not a fan
No worries. Well the ideal for me is a good soap and a resuable container. I prefer to throw away as little as possible. How long does the pannacrema last? Worth the price? I am not opposed to paying that much but it's not exactly budget friendly and I wpuld prefer a reusable dish for my soap. :p

Good questions.

As far as worth the price? I can't answer that. Nuavia is an excellent high quality soap with very nice complex scents (YMMV!). Nuavia is a fairly soft soap, SV is a triple milled harder soap. You get 200ml with Nuavia vs 150 grams with SV. SV 4.3 is part of my regular rotation, I've only used Nuavia during a B&B pass-around a couple years back, so I don't have long term use experience with it. But it is a very nice soap & I enjoyed it, especially the scent of Blu. Your point about the reusable container is a good one and was a point of contention when it was first released. That is, PannaCrema does not offer a "refill" puck.

PannaCrema Nuavia Passaround - round 3

For you PannaCrema Nuàvia fans looking for refills ...

Bottom line, they are quite different but both are excellent in their own right. That said, SV 4.3 is tops in my den :001_cool:

So dropped my cheapo apothacary soap mug I got when I first started DE shaving a few years ago and it shattered this last weekend. What was left of my soap(mens soap company Himylayan) skitted behind the toilet so didnt even try to save it(there wasnt a lot anyway). Anyway looking for a new soap! The one I had was okay but nothijg special. Personal preference is a soap not made from animal products. Anyone have any recommendations? I am also curious what people use as far as mugs/bowls, dish for soap.

You can always buy a brick of TFS from Connaught Shaving and be set for next 2 years.

If you’re looking for a really good bowl, mug, or scuttle made specifically for shaving, I’d suggest anything from Georgetown Pottery. I personally use their 20oz scuttle. You fill the interior reservoir with hot water and throw your puck, cream, or scooped soap in the bowl and enjoy a nice warm lather.

Georgetown Pottery: Shaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While PannaCrema Nuavia isn't offered in a refill puck, the ceramic container would still work well with many other refills from other brands. It's a bit over 3.25" inside diameter, so any soap close to that would be a great option. Once my Nuavia Blu is used up, I definitely plan to keep using the jar with some other soap inside.

Hmm seriously considering that Nuavia. I need to figure out something else to get to get the free shipping. Haha found a tin of WSP soap I didn't know I had so I am in no hurry to replace my soap now.

Top Bottom