What's new

Need a New Propane Grill

My old cheap Charbroil is dying. (After not lasting very long) I need a new grill. Checked out a couple Webers at Lowes yesterday but wanted to get some opinions on others. Looking to keep the purchase under $1000, hopefully.

Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
My dad has a small portable weber (8500 or 12000 btu). He told me a few times that it works for something really quick but he looses all the heat when he opens the lid. Considering the amount of BTU, I'm not too surprised. I was looking at buying that model too for when I want a quick grill. I abandoned the idea after that comment.

You cant go wrong with a Weber. Sears Kenmore grills are nice too. Ive got a stainless, 4 burner Kenmore that Ive had for 4 years now and its still great.

Weber Genesis 3 burner.

Highly recommended.

I completely agree. We have the E 310; no frills but a massive, controlled heating space. We have had ours for 10 years now. Other than keeping it covered when not in use and seasoning the grates and stuff I haven't had to have it fixed or anything and we have kept it outside throughout some terrible winters. And the one thing I did have to replace (the battery-started ignition switch) Weber customer service was incredible, sending a replacement unit in 2 days.

Meanwhile my dad keeps buying cheap-o grills and he has gone through four in the same time period.

I got tired of paying to constantly replace the guts in CharBroil grills and having the bottoms rust out, and upgraded to a Weber Spirit 3 burner/side burner stainless grill about 5 yrs ago. The Spirit is Weber's value line but the grill has been great and is really holding up. Great quality, and a bit cheaper than their Genesis line. I purchased it a Home Depot.

Cheers.

I just purchased a Weber Genesis E330 (but not the propane version but rather the natural gas). I purchased from Home Depot but the Ace Hardware in my area had it for a few dollars more (they carry the stainless steel grates version) but offered free assembly, free delivery, and a $100 Ace gift card. So if you have an Ace near you it would be worth asking.

This is my second Weber (many years ago I had a Silver B). In between I had CharBroil InfraRed, which was also a nice grill and lasted 7 years but Webers are clearly made better and will last a lot longer. The 330 adds a Sear station.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've never owned a Weber gas grill, but I've heard nothing but good things about their performance and reliability. Having dealt with them regarding a Kettle that wore out nearly ten years into a ten year warranty, I vouch for their excellent customer service and willingness to stand behind their products.

Weber Genesis owner here. I would recommend getting the All Stainless Version (EP Version). I have had the EP-310 going on 4 years and have no complaints at all.

We've had a Genesis Gold for about 15 years. It has stainless grills and flavorizer bars. The only things replaced over the years have been: (1) the in-cover thermometer (twice); (2) the "sparker" ignition switch; (3) the underside grease pan assembly.

Keeps on ticking...highly recommended (not sure what the current incarnation of this is). Weber rocks!

I would recommend the Weber as well. To me the best part of a Weber is always knowing you'll be able to get replacement parts, and that you won't need them as often as some of the competitors.

My Genesis Silver is 11 years old and gets used 2-3 times per week, on average, year round. It sits out in Chicago winters (covered), and all I've had to replace in 11 years is the grates and the flavorizer bars. I went with cast iron grates that should last me a lifetime with proper care, and aftermarket flavorizer bars off of ebay. They were made by a retired steel worker who uses a thicker gauge than Weber does, which helps them to last longer.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Napoleon - Very similar to Weber but has some better features in my opinion. Mine is 12 years old now I think. Works like new and has never had a problem. Cost 1,100 Canuck bucks back then. I have a charcoal tray for mine so I can have the best of both worlds. I use it about 4 times a year when I'm celebrating a small success with some well marbled grass fed steak. Hard to beat the taste but I like the convenience of gas.

Spend a few bucks now and avoid replacing your rig every 3 or 5 years.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Were I to buy a propane grill, I would get the ones where one side is gas, the other charcoal. You get the convenience of gas, with the awesomeness of charcoal.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I read somewhere that general rule of thumb is for each $100 it equals a year of usage. If you are lucky, you get more!

One thing you want to decide on is which direction you want your burners to run

Front to Rear:

You can have hot and cold parts of the cooking area (i.e. uneven heat across the entire cooking area). Good for smaller quantities hot on one side, cool on the other for char and finish cooking

Side to side:

The entire grill maintains a steady heat across the entire grill and can be raised and lowered but the entire cooking area goes up and down in heat. Put something on a spit and let it roll for hours.

Flavor bars:

Flavor bars heat up very quickly, typically 5 minutes from fire up to cooking. Temp can be raised and lowered easily. They cool off quickly once the gas is turned off.

Lava Rocks:

Lava rocks take more time to heat up but maintain a rock sold cooking temp. Typical heat up time for lava rocks is 20 minutes +/-

There are good and bad things about these different styles of grill.

You need to decide how you will use your grill more often then go with the one that fits that style of outdoor cooking. Large groups of people (conveyor belt of burgers) a quick steak for one. Roasting a bird or joint of meat on a spit for hours.

I've found that I have 2 different gas grills. One for large quantity cooking (parties) another for a single steak or two.

One of mine is a complete custom (like a custom razor) I set it up for my main style of cooking, the other is the party monster. Gas and wood combo.

My grills are right outside of my kitchen door on a deck (which is why I use gas not coals) so they are as convenient as the stove as far as distance from prep/cook area as my stove is. I can grill and cook veggies and other parts of the meal at the same time as the distance between stove and grill is around 15-20 feet

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ok, I'm committed to the BGE (with his little sidekick an 18" Weber Kettle that is used mostly to store the eggcessories) But I have a son moving into a new house sans a grill, and just starting out in practice he's not likely to have the inclination (read patience) for charcoal. Owen's dual grill mention, above, is intriguing though, but I have never heard of such (other than the charcoal with propane ignition).

Is there a quality Dual Fuel grill on the market? Anyone with experience with one?

Top Bottom