What's new

Need a new dish washer

I have never lived anywhere that had a non-human dishwasher. My parents bought a machine long after i moved out. Can't see the need or point, same situation with a microwave, never had one or used one.
dave
I never used a dishwasher until a few months ago when I developed some chronic back issues that prevent me from standing by the sink for long. Also, because of regulations water pressure from the faucet is very low and it takes very long to wash dishes by hand and make sure the detergent has been properly rinsed. The DW also removed some old tea stains from mugs. After having used one, I don't know that I could go back to hand washing. Of course, until my back heals it's not even an option.

Did the DW thing a couple months back. My top of the line Kenmore's control board died - that parts not available after less than 10 years, and I looked hard. So I did some research & bought a Bosch, priced considerably more than the last one. It is very quiet, and with three racks seems to have more capacity and versatility. Cleans very well, but doesn't dry the dishes worth a _______. This was often mentioned in reviews, but I figured it was people being picky, or expecting cupped puddles to disappear. Nope - the Bosch on Extra Dry setting is abysmal at that task. I wonder why it can't be corrected, I had a 1950's DW into the 80's that did a far better job, as did the Kenmore that died.
That's because it uses condensation drying instead of heated dry like many of the older American ones. But newer ones seem to be doing a little better.

Do you use rinse aid? If not, that may be worth a try.

Another Bosch fan. It is very quiet and does an excellent job of cleaning dishes. Only con is takes longer to wash that our failed GE dishwasher. We have had our Bosch for a year.

Yes. Not sure about the newer ones but both Askos I now have are Swedish build. One is 15 years old the other 3 years old
You are lucky. They are no longer made there, instead made in Slovenia. Apparently the electronics & software in the newer machines leave a lot to be desired. I was looking at them closely and decided against it.

At the high end Miele is it.

+1 to the Bosch's and their quiet operation. Ours has a small red light that shines on the floor when it's running. It is actually needed sometimes.
I agree the red light is needed so you accidentally don’t open it until the cycle is finished. Mine really is that quiet!

No need to pile on here, but another vote for Bosch. We've had ours about 7 years and it's as quiet as day 1 - and does an excellent job drying too.

Forget Consumer's Reports. Their testing is really flawed on many items. Bosch owner here. The first one had welds between the inside compartment and the outside frame break. Poor alignment of the two parts when welded put a strain on the welds. Second one is still going strong. Someone above mentioned Miele. Crazy expensive and can only be serviced by an authorized dealer. Parts are not available to general service people.

You are lucky. They are no longer made there, instead made in Slovenia. Apparently the electronics & software in the newer machines leave a lot to be desired. I was looking at them closely and decided against it.

At the high end Miele is it.

BIG issue with Miele is the wash pump impeller freezes/jambs if the machine is not used for a while (i.e. you go on a long vacation). This is so prevalent that they sell a tool to break the impeller loose.

I've had to do this several times on the one I own. They may have fixed this design issue since I purchased 6 years ago.

BIG issue with Miele is the wash pump impeller freezes/jambs if the machine is not used for a while (i.e. you go on a long vacation). This is so prevalent that they sell a tool to break the impeller loose.

I've had to do this several times on the one I own. They may have fixed this design issue since I purchased 6 years ago.
Thanks for that info. What model do you have?

Thanks for that info. What model do you have?

G2470, Not a current model. Was top of the line 24"width with top silverware slide. Custom panel front.

Super quiet, and did excellent job, when it worked. Was in the cabin in the great white north so only used in summer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Got a Kitchen Aide last year through our home warranty and it's doing great so far. Cleans and dries better than the two before it and is very quiet.

Chris

Samsung. Nuff said. The dry cycle gets everything but the bottom of mugs and stuff that has a place for the water to pool. Quiet, efficient, and definitely enough space.

Whatever you get, stainless interior, not plastic!

What is air dry?

Air dry is not selecting the dry function. The unit allows the contents to dry with only the heat from the wash cycle and the air circulation function. This take longer for the contents to dry but saves energy.

Here almost always use the dry function. Works excellently in the new Kitchen Aide.

Chris

Ok, I have a cheap GE that came with the house as part of the standard appliance pack. I use the heated dry. Without that everything needs to be touched up.

Many dishwashers today don’t have a heated dry option, esp the European ones like Miele, Bosch, and Asko. They use condensation dry and the higher end ones have extra fans and optionally pop the door open when done.

Top Bottom