What's new

Need a new dish washer

The research I just did said it is a burnt control board. It was $125 for the one on that thread, just for the board.

We had a top of the line frigidaire that started leaking at 18 months old. I replaced everything but could not stop the leak. I trashed it and got a non energy saving Maytag for $500 from Spencers. It actually works better than the other.

I know you don't want Maytag but remember many of the common ones are owned by the same people and use the same parts. This one is different than our last one, parts wise.

Good luck with the brand you get.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I either play find and seek with the problem or pay a crazy amount for a service call. I asked if the control board was the issue and was told “it could be one of the problems. A tech could figure it out and order the parts.” I called a tech and he said it would be cheaper to buy a new one since we live way out. I appreciated his honesty.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I either play find and seek with the problem or pay a crazy amount for a service call. I asked if the control board was the issue and was told “it could be one of the problems. A tech could figure it out and order the parts.” I called a tech and he said it would be cheaper to buy a new one since we live way out. I appreciated his honesty.
We were in the situation. I wasn't paying the service call plus whatever.

had a weird electrical surge/outage thingy thus afternoon.

Had one of those last year when my neighbor's tree fell against the telephone pole and severed my neutral. Talk about weird. I had lights glowing brightly, then dimming, then glowing again. By the time I got to the main breaker in the basement, it had fried my microwave and some other less expensive items. Good thing each of my desktop PC's have a battery backup & surge suppressor. I got them 5 years ago, after a surge fried my motherboard and hard drive and I had to rebuilt my pc from scratch. Thank God, it wasn't my wife's pc that got fried.

Back to dishwashers. Thanks for this thread and responses. I've bookmarked it for future use. My GE dishwasher was installed before I bought the house and must be 20 years old. We thought about replacing it several times, but it's still going. For several years it was dropping thick rubber chunks inside and out. I guess it was soundproofing. I haven't seen any chunks in a while, so it must have all fallen out. It's noisy, but it's only my wife and I and we only use it once or twice a week. My rule of thumb is that if it ain't broke (or in the case of the dishwasher-totally broke) , don't fix it.

). My rule of thumb is that if it ain't broke (or in the case of the dishwasher-totally broke) , don't fix it.

You betcha.....

If it is running, not too noisy, AND cleans the dishes KEEP IT!

I'm always amused at people who who want the newest look and replace good appliances with pretty looking substandard ones.

My dishwasher "must haves"

1. Clean the dishes
  2. Be quiet
  3. Not require repairs.
That's why I've settled on Asko. Swedish. all stainless. 2 motors. 2 pumps. Internal water heater. So quiet you have to look at the control panel to know if it is running. You could install it in a bedroom and sleep soundly.

A good tip for anyone replacing a dishwasher....

Get some 12x12 cork tile, glue it to the back, sides, and top, inside the dishwasher cabinet.

Makes a BIG difference in the amount of noise.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Did the DW thing a couple months back. My top of the line Kenmore's control board died - that parts not available after less than 10 years, and I looked hard. So I did some research & bought a Bosch, priced considerably more than the last one. It is very quiet, and with three racks seems to have more capacity and versatility. Cleans very well, but doesn't dry the dishes worth a _______. This was often mentioned in reviews, but I figured it was people being picky, or expecting cupped puddles to disappear. Nope - the Bosch on Extra Dry setting is abysmal at that task. I wonder why it can't be corrected, I had a 1950's DW into the 80's that did a far better job, as did the Kenmore that died.

You betcha.....

If it is running, not too noisy, AND cleans the dishes KEEP IT!

I'm always amused at people who who want the newest look and replace good appliances with pretty looking substandard ones.

My dishwasher "must haves"

1. Clean the dishes
  2. Be quiet
  3. Not require repairs.
That's why I've settled on Asko. Swedish. all stainless. 2 motors. 2 pumps. Internal water heater. So quiet you have to look at the control panel to know if it is running. You could install it in a bedroom and sleep soundly.

A good tip for anyone replacing a dishwasher....

Get some 12x12 cork tile, glue it to the back, sides, and top, inside the dishwasher cabinet.

Makes a BIG difference in the amount of noise.

We replaced a perfectly good one for the 18 month leaker. A lesson learned.

Did the DW thing a couple months back. My top of the line Kenmore's control board died - that parts not available after less than 10 years, and I looked hard. So I did some research & bought a Bosch, priced considerably more than the last one. It is very quiet, and with three racks seems to have more capacity and versatility. Cleans very well, but doesn't dry the dishes worth a _______. This was often mentioned in reviews, but I figured it was people being picky, or expecting cupped puddles to disappear. Nope - the Bosch on Extra Dry setting is abysmal at that task. I wonder why it can't be corrected, I had a 1950's DW into the 80's that did a far better job, as did the Kenmore that died.

And original used twice the energy as the new one....

Last time i had service out to the house it was maybe $90 to get someone to show up, plus minimum labour charge whether the time was needed or not plus the cost of parts.
dave

Last time i had service out to the house it was maybe $90 to get someone to show up, plus minimum labour charge whether the time was needed or not plus the cost of parts.
dave

Cheap

It was $250 to have Miele service come out. They have excellent customer support, diagnosed the problem and told me what to do over the toll free number.

Unfortunately, even with the special service tool they sent me I managed to snap the stuck impeller (thus the service call which did not happen)

Pulled the $2k Miele and put the 35 year old $250 Frigidaire back in, which after sitting in a shed for 10 years worked like new. Man was it noisy (why it got replaced in the first place).

Found out ALL Miele dish washers do not like to set unused, even when flushed and filled with RV antifreeze which has lubricates and rubber conditioner in it. Ours sat 6 years unused. Asko does not have this "quirk" so no Miele for me again.

Miele in kitchen (cabinet door on the far left with knob at the top). Front cabinet finish is nice.

proxy.php

Miele out (over 100# of small appliance. 24" width)

proxy.php

35 year old Frigidaire back in. Not as pretty. Very noisy (even with cork inside the cabinet). Does not clean dishes very well but it fit and was inexpensive for a new appliance.

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
And original used twice the energy as the new one....

I should have guessed that, but didn't. Since I run it maybe once a week not sure if the new one will impact the planet too much anyway, the energy tag isn't much different than the one that died

Drove a total of 7 hours (there and back), spent a lot of money (for us) on a Bosch 500 series. A sale made it only a little more than the Asenta I was aiming for, and they had it in stock. They sold the only asenta they had before I got there. They carried it out upside down. I asked very specifically if it wired like the Maytags I have had. "yes." Then asked if I needed any special water hook ups. "No." I get home take it out the plastic and styrofoam, it only had a cardboard top. Weird. On the cardboard top, which was wedged against the back seats there was a list of things I had to buy. :a31:

I figured I would just get it as far as I could and grab the only part I did not have on Monday. Owning a repair shop worth of tools and parts has a few benefits. Threw breaker, kitchen went dark, stove turned off, pulled the dead one out and it freaking turned on! :yikes: Scared the poo out of me. Guess it works. Apparently this wrong breaker was another screw up the contractor did when we had the kitchen redone about 9ish years ago. Finally found where he had it wired and shut it off. He connected it to the same line as the Fridge.

I am not driving 7 hours to return the new one. We will install it and save the old one for when we move. It will be put back in and newer one will go with us. Wife agrees.

As for the drying, I don't use the dry feature anyway. I get less water spots by just cracking the door and letting them dry naturally. I live in the desert so humidity is not an issue, even when its raining. The wiring junction box thing with the cord attached is stupid though. I had to run the house wire from the box behind the DW to under the sink so I could connect the house power wire to the dumb bosch junction box, just so I can run the dumb Bosch power cord back behind the dishwasher that connects the washing machine to the power. I am not going to mess with the wiring set up since that will be a warranty killer. All I need is the 90 degree step-down elbow (another dumb thing) for the water hook up, and we are off and running.

Just some background on why new dishwashers don't dry as well as old ones....

Here’s why today's dishwashers can't dry your dishes

"In the past, dishwashers would turn on an exposed heating element at the base of the unit to dry dishes at the end of a cycle, essentially turning the dishwasher into a low-power electric oven.

As you can imagine, a heating element uses a lot of electricity. With tightening federal energy standards, most manufacturers have ditched the heating element in favor of a condensation drying system.

These systems use a heated rinse at the end of a cycle to coat dishes in hot water. The cool, stainless-steel interior walls of the dishwasher then draw the hot water off of dishes and channel it into the drain.

Condensation drying works fine for most glasses and porcelain, but even manufacturers will admit that plastics may not get completely dry. That’s a problem for consumers, because today’s dishwasher loads contain more plastic than ever before.

Not only do plastics not retain enough heat from a hot-water rinse for condensation drying to work, but they’re also light enough to flip around and move during a wash cycle. As a result, no matter how carefully you load them, there’s a chance that your reusable containers and kids’ cereal bowls will end up filled with water at the end of a cycle.

The irony is that condensation drying is also the only way to safely wash plastics in a dishwasher. You might have learned that it’s never OK to put plastic items on the bottom rack, because they might melt. Well, that’s only the case if you have an exposed drying element at the base of your dishwasher. If your dishwasher uses condensation drying, you can put plastics anywhere you like."

That's interesting, Chris. I've been trying to run the dishwasher during off-peak hours, but I have real-time energy monitoring, and now that you mention it, I haven't seen the spike in energy consumption that I was expecting during the drying cycle.

Last edited:
If I were designing a new kitchen for me, I would have a large, white farmhouse sink...and no dishwasher!

Mac

I have never lived anywhere that had a non-human dishwasher. My parents bought a machine long after i moved out. Can't see the need or point, same situation with a microwave, never had one or used one.
dave

Is your unit made in Sweden?

Top Bottom