What's new

Need a New Deodorant

I have been using TAG deodorant from Wal Mart but, I'm looking for something better. TAG sticks to the hair under my arm and it's there all day like a little ball. I sweat pretty easy and need something better then TAG because at the end of the day I start to smell not so good. :001_huh:

After trial and error I found Gilllete Antiprespirant-Deodorant Gel works the best for me. It smells good and works great. Dries fast and doesn't leave a soapy residue on your skin. You can go for a week with no shower ( I tried) and your armpits will still smell good. I been using it for years as my everyday deodorant and recieved numerous compliments on how I smell. It's inexpensive, readily available and lasts You a very long time too. I like Cool Wave scent. I recently tried Mitchum unscented Gel Deodorant-Antiprespirant, what a garbage. Adidas and Old Spice deodorants smell ok but really don't work either. Other stuff like Speed Stick, Degree, etc I won't even touch, because of how bad it smells.

Try the Crystal (I think there is a review here) Alum block. Works fantastic and one stick literally will last for 6+ months. Works great for travel too, just pack it and forget it.

I dont think that crystal works very well, and certainly wont stop you from smelling by the end of the day. YMMV, but I'm in the same boat as you. Old Spice red zone keeps me smelling fresh all day. Stuffs awesome.

I use DryIdea and have for years. I know it looks like a woman's product, but it is unisex. I use the roll-on. They make it in unscented as well as scented too if that is your thing. It is an anti-perspirant and deodorant and works very well at both.

I dont think that crystal works very well, and certainly wont stop you from smelling by the end of the day. YMMV, but I'm in the same boat as you. Old Spice red zone keeps me smelling fresh all day. Stuffs awesome.

I have to disagree. I guess that it's ymmv, but I really like the crystal deodorants and I'm positive it lasts all day with no odor. These things last forever, or at least until you drop them.

Most Antiperspirants make my underarms itch (Right Guard spray is the least problematic for me in this regard), but they do the best job of oder control.

Stick/roll on deodorants amplify my stink by the end of the day - they are counter productive.

The rock had no effect whatever and smelled like my underarms after about two weeks.

The best compromise I've tried is rubbing my pits with 70% isopropyl after the shower followed by deodorant powder (I use Wal Mart brand). No significant odor or sweat at the end of the day and no itch. I'll still use Right Guard if I'm going to be doing sweaty work or if I expect to go a day or two without a shower.

I have been using TAG deodorant from Wal Mart but, I'm looking for something better. TAG sticks to the hair under my arm and it's there all day like a little ball. I sweat pretty easy and need something better then TAG because at the end of the day I start to smell not so good. :001_huh:

top 3:
mitchum greenwood smart solid
old spice original antiperspirant
old spice pro strength swagger

I want to try the crystal out. Old Spice high endurance is the only deoderant that works for me and half the time it makes my skin red and itchy.

I was just about to say, I hear mitchums pretty badass.

No it is not at all. I use it now and it's total crap that don't work like real antiprespirant should, neither is Old Spice. If you really had a sweaty day, by the end of the day you will smell like a horse. The only antiprespirant that REALLY works is Gillette and Dry Idea made by Gillette. This stuff is bulletproof and you can skip a week worth of showers and still won't smell the sweat. Mitchum is only good for half a day, if that.

Old Spice high endurance is the only deoderant that works for me and half the time it makes my skin red and itchy.

That's because it's garbage. It made me itch too. And so is the rest of them are crap, adidases, mitchum, etc. I tried them all. Try Gilletee you will see the difference and you won't be sorry.

The thing about the crystal is that it is a deodorant, and not an antiperspirant. Usually any antiperspirant is going to have aluminum to keep you from sweating (but this often causes a reaction hence the redness and itching). I dislike people saying one is garbage over another because with ALLthings, YMMV

That's because it's garbage. It made me itch too. And so is the rest of them are crap, adidases, mitchum, etc. I tried them all. Try Gilletee you will see the difference and you won't be sorry.

I've used the Gillette, and wasn't that impressed with it. Old Spice is the only one I have ever tried that works for me. But I think thats just it, different things work for different people.

Also, ANY non antiperspirant makes me smell bad within an hour. I sweat a lot. It could be 10 degrees out and I could be standing naked in the snow, and I would still have a trickle of sweat running down my side.

I use a alum block with a quality cologne and it seems to work fine. Spent yesterday and today cleaning out all our flower beds and remulching them with pecan hulls. Hot sweaty work. Used my alum block and SCS Savoy Rose (shave soap and cologne) this morning and was fine.

I read a review on deoderants recently (don't have the link now). It said that Aluminum Chloride, found in Certain Dri was the most effective. It was over $4 so I looked at the others and they all had varying amounts of Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex. I just looked for the cheapest and most amount of Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex and ended up with Arm and Hammer. I took it with me to Europe and although it was affective, it clumped up and pulled on my armpit hairs. As soon as i got back I threw it away and found Arrid. It has 20% Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex (the highest I saw) and cheap. Under $2. I am using it for the first time.

I wanted unscented (I like to wear cologne) but the Arrid scent I got is very mild.

I had tried the Crystal years ago (I use it now on my face lol). When my wife and I were using it, over time it got sharp edges and I got a cut. The salt in the cut did not feel good. Since I now use the stuff on my face, I am very careful when I use it.

If I use anything that has that "Antiperspirant" property I invariably get pit stains on my white undershirts. I love the Crystal stuff. But then again, I'm a freak of nature and rarely get B.O. anyway.

Timely thread for me - I've been looking for something new and effective too.

I sweat a lot, in all temperatures. So antiperspirants have been my preference. But I'm a bit concerned about the long-term risks. Also, it's hard to find one that is both effective and doesn't have an unpleasant or overpowering smell. Here's what I've tried recently:

Degree Clinical Strength: works pretty well, especially if you follow the directions and apply it before bedtime, letting it sink in overnight. But I hate the available scents.

Almay Unscented Solid: works slightly less well than the Degree. Interesting, as they both have the same amount of the same active ingredient.

Crystal stick: does little. Seems to prevent the worst of the odor, though. (I know it's not an antiperspirant.)

Certain Dry: By far the most effective. But it makes my armpits itch like crazy for several days running. Not worth the discomfort.

I may try the baking soda next.

Other ideas?

YMM, of course, V.

Top Bottom