What's new

Need a new car soon. Which make and model would be cheaper to maintain and work on?

Looking at the crossover types right now.
Prefer the Japanese makes.
Anyway I like the Mazda CX-5 as far as reviews as a normal make, and Acura RDX as a premium make.
Really want to like Subaru’s offerings, but reports of reliability seem iffy.
Toyota RAV4 seems cheap, and Honda’s CRV is having problems with its turbo engine.
Am I overthinking things, or are they all a gamble as far as reliability and ease/cost of maintenance these days?

I have an 2009 RDX and it is pretty cheap to maintain. The key is to have enough power to push the 4WD. That was Subaru's undoing many years ago.
I bought the RDX last year for less than $10k. It has the SH-AWD. I can put $1000 a year into it and still come out ahead but spent less this year.(tires, starter)

My wife and I like our 2018 Rav4, our 1st Toyota since our 70's & 80's cars. I don't expect problems with the mechanical end, but I try not to think about the cost of repairs to the electronics if something goes wrong. It's not a car, it's a computer with 4 tires. A far cry from the ease of working on my cars in the 1960's.

While we had two older Honda's for 14+ years, and like our Honda dealership repair shop, we went with the Rav4 over CRV, because I had read on some car forums that CRV had a problem with gas getting into the oil and the cars taking a long time to warm up and generate heat. Allegedly, Honda and the dealerships were downplaying or denying the problem and they didn't seem to have a solution other than changing the oil more frequently. One guy claimed he was told to change it every 1000 miles. I had also read an article last summer that China suspended sales of CRV's because of the problem. I don't know if that issue (IF it was ever a real issue to begin with) has been corrected, but it swayed us to a Rav4 at the time. CRV is still a top selling car and all the experts reviewing it love it, so I don't know if it was a real problem or just isolated. In any case, it might be something to look into.

I like my 2017 RAV4 Limited Edition. I did lots of research before buying new two years ago and it seemed rock solid compared to competition.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Toyota Venza?

We have a 2013 Subaru Outback. SWMBO drives it. Generally I like it, with one major caveat: the "Eyesight" programme ... basically two cameras by the rear-view mirror that control the spacing with the car in front and lane change warnings ... is crap. It fails far too often, simply disengaging whenever the lighting conditions are adverse (window fogs up a bit, or driving into the sunset on a sunny summer's eve, &c &c &c). When that happens, the cruise control automatically turns off as well. It's freaking annoying.

And you can't get a Subaru with a backup camera and GPS without also getting Eyesight.

Subaru will probably tell you that they have improved it since then but ... I'm suspicious of that. And anyhow, now ALL their vehicles are CVT transmissions ... stay away from those!!

So for me, Subaru is off the list.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Anyway I like the Mazda CX-5 as far as reviews as a normal make, and Acura RDX as a premium make.
Toyota RAV4 seems cheap, and Honda’s CRV is having problems with its turbo engine.
Am I overthinking things, or are they all a gamble as far as reliability and ease/cost of maintenance these days?

IMO, your last question is on point. Automobiles, in general, are at an all time high as far as reliability goes. I mean, most need to see 100k miles before their first major service. There a fans in every camp; Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, but I can tell you about issues with all of them (30k mile head gasket replacements, ring land issues, eating valve seats, early transmission issues, etc...)

Honestly, I'd get whatever floats your boat and not worry too much over it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom