What's new

Need a knife!

I've been doing some reading here, but I don't quite know how to jump in. I'm pretty sure I want a gyuto, and I need to be prepared to spend $150. But I've never had a chef knife before, and I don't know where to begin. Who are the top vendors? What are the safe choices for all purpose, good value knives?

I'm excited but I need more direction! :w00t:

I go by Cook's Illustrated and Consumer Reports when I can. My favorite (the paring knife was top rated, and I loved it so much I bought other knives from them) is Victorinox (Forschner?). They're stamped and have a partial tang as opposed to a full tang (both associated with cheaper knives), but they work very well and I choose them over my forged Wusthof santoku with a full tang (which is also a nice knife, admittedly). I can get a regular and short chef's knife, bread knife, utility knife, and paring knife for a very reasonable price compared to a set of forged knives.

I like to buy quality, but if I can save money and still have sharp, effective, nimble knives with nice wooden handles - Victorinox for me.

I prefer lighter knives in general, which may skew my preferences.

There are many other good brands, by the way. Wusthof is a higher end brand, as is Henckels. Chicago Cutlery used to be, although I don't know how they are now.

My 6½" Henckels chef knife has been a wonderful knife for almost 20 years. It holds an edge, is easy to sharpen, and is the right size for me. I think it was about $85.00 back in the day. I find I use a sharp paring knife (also Henckels) more than the chef knife, it's easier to control and makes finer cuts.

Can't go wrong with a Tojiro. Have to say the recent offerings from Richmond (Artifex) line has caught my attention. AEB L steel is great stuff and the prices are decent.

Would you be opposed to a high carbon steel? If not, I can't recommend the Hiromoto 240mm enough: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

Don't be like me and become so paranoid of the "high maintenance" that you're afraid to use it. For the past several months, it's practically all I use except when it comes to heavier duty tasks.

Last edited:
Get ready for the Tojiro recomendations

I'll bite. Tojiro is a great way to test the waters to see if Japanese knives are for you. Keep in mind that the fit and finish of many Japanese knives isn't going to be on the same level as a comparably priced German knife.

This is also a really great place for knives.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/

I've spent a few dollars there, and I'll spend a lot more.

Can't go wrong with a Tojiro. Have to say the recent offerings from Richmond (Artifex) line has caught my attention. AEB L steel is great stuff and the prices are decent.

I was in the market for a new bread knife recently and I it came down to the Artifex or the Tojiro. The Tojiro edged the Artifex out, but not by much.

Legion

Staff member
What are your needs is my question? Are you looking for custom? How much do you want to spend? For the money you cant beat the Victorinox 8" chef knife. You can find them easily and the cost shiuldn't be more than $35. The balance is dead on; the weight is light and easily managed in the hand. Honestly, I've given it as a gift to a couple of my line cooks as rewards and its a simple work horse. Looks good and really goes the distance for the price.

I have a large cleaver that i keep sharp and use for everything. Its....not a hi end model, but works excellent as an all purpose knife/spatula all in one.

Anyone know of any hi end large stainless cleavers please?

Thank you indeed!

If you want the Jap. edge (sort of) w/o the Jap. profile, take a look at the Shun Classic line. They're a good middle ground between the Gyuto and the Euro chef's knives. I have their 8" as well as a 240mm Gyuto from the recent group buy and they're both great, but the Gyuto took some getting used to. I use the guyto a little more, but I think it's because it's the new toy. I like both knives equally. A good test would be to find a Williams Sonoma, if there's one near you, and get your hands on both styles. Shun makes other lines that use traditional japanese profiles, so you'd have a fair comparison as far as edge profile is concerned.

Victorinox knives are also great options, but not in the same league as the above knives. They can't be beat for the price and their curved boning knife is my knife of choice for that kind of work, but I like the feel and edge of a good Japanese knife over the Euro style.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That blade looks pretty nice, for sure.

It's the carbon knife for someone who doesn't want the hassle of a carbon knife. It has top grade aogami blue steel sandwiched in (rather pedestrian) stainless, so only a few mm of carbon is exposed. Clean up is a snap, and the as-good-as-they-come edge is easy to sharpen and long lasting. With use, the knife settles into a lovely tricolor look of stainless main body, a band of patina, and a sparkling edge.

It's well balanced with the perfect amount of belly, and it's just an all-around killer kife.

Top Bottom