What's new

Need a good brush

I am currently using one of the $4 wal-mart special brushes and the williams mug soap while I wait for my t&h cream to show up. That said, I need some advice in regards to a good brush that won't set me back a month or two's rent. I see Shavemac being recommended quite a bit, but I'd like to stick around 100 bucks or so. That said, if absolutely worth it, I'd fork over a little extra...but only if absolutely worth it. Any thoughts?

-Todd

more seasoned gents than i will chime in but i adore my shavemac finest, i believe it set me back a simple 60 something dollars. worth every penny in heat/water retention and softness. you can also find a fairly new thread here about shavemac's finest grade brushes. that said $100 is a lot, almost anything you purchase in that range will be an amazing brush. the saville rows on sale at QED are also a highly highly recommended buy of late

Ah, the eternal quest for the perfect brush. I too, am currently researching my next brush purchase. I'm anxious to hear what some of our members have to say on this topic and will make an additional post or two myself as my knowledge increases. Right now, I am having the most difficult time trying to decide the knot size that I should go with.

As far as brands go, you should be able to find some very good and very reasonably priced brushes from Vulfix, Saville Row, and Shavemac. I'm sure that there are many other value brands out there, but these are the ones I am currently most familiar with.

I would suggest checking with Charles at QED on the new Savile Row Silvertips. Having said that, one brush that I have that is getting overtime is just a mere $35 bucks!

Randy

That little C&E best badger is a winner if you like stiff bristles, and the price can't be beat. For the value, the SR "tortoise hogs" at QED are also phenomenal brushes. You can spend a lot more, of course, but my recommendation would be to stay in the $30-$70 range as a starting point and see how you like the brush. You can always add a more expensive brush later, and in all honesty there isn't any difference in the lathering ability.

The C&E brush is a good choice.

For Shavemac, don't forget about their finest badger grade -- very economical for the quality that you get. It's also easily in your price range.

Savile Row offers many brushes in several hair qualitites that also fall in your price range. The Supers are definitely a good value.

I've been using my VULFIX 2233 for about a week now, and I love it. It's a premium level "super badger" and it's a great brush... For what it's worth, that brush was an upgrade from an eShave badger-hair that's at least 4 years old... I tossed that one after feeling the softness compared to the Vulfix...

Well, I ended up going with the C&E Best Badger plus the HD. I am currently using T&H 1805 cream followed by some of the menscience toner and daily facial moisturizer afterwards. Thanks for all of the help, I am going to try to hold off on any of the *AD's as long as possible. That said, the C&E brush was a GIANT leap forward from the burma brush I had purchased from Wally-world.

teamacacia said:
I am currently using one of the $4 wal-mart special brushes and the williams mug soap while I wait for my t&h cream to show up. That said, I need some advice in regards to a good brush that won't set me back a month or two's rent. I see Shavemac being recommended quite a bit, but I'd like to stick around 100 bucks or so. That said, if absolutely worth it, I'd fork over a little extra...but only if absolutely worth it. Any thoughts?

-Todd

HANDS DOWN - get a Savile Row SR8-T. It is a gorgeous Tortoise Handled brush (faux tortoise, which is MUCH livelier than drab faux ivory). It is a fantastic size, is made of super badger, and is a BARGAIN at $58. It is my personal opinon, that there is no finer value available in a shaving brush!

joel said:
HANDS DOWN - get a Savile Row SR8-T. It is a gorgeous Tortoise Handled brush (faux tortoise, which is MUCH livelier than drab faux ivory). It is a fantastic size, is made of super badger, and is a BARGAIN at $58. It is my personal opinon, that there is no finer value available in a shaving brush!
Here 'tis.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom