What's new

Need a good aftershave lotion

I have tried several but nothing has worked as good as coconut oil and vitamin e oil mixed together. Soothes the skin and hydrates. Has no smell and is all natural.

I've tried several balms in recent years and have settled on the Proraso blue balm as my favorite, both in terms of performance and scent, followed by the green balm. I also like the Aqua Velva 5-in-1 balm.

IMO there's nothing spectacular or different about a balm or lotion that says "post shave" on the label, other than it was formulated to sell as such. I've for years now used B&BW shea lotion after shaving, and experience very little irritation. If I do, it's usually because my technique was wrong, so when I felt the shave was harsh, I started with a witch hazel splash, then lotion. Works pretty good!

However I'm a sucker for bay rum, and picked up some Captain's Choice balm, and it's pretty nice too. Definitely not as moisturizing as a real lotion, though.

Three of my favorites:

Pitralon (Swiss version)
Speick
Bootleggers Bay Rum

All three nourish my face and leave it feeling better than if I didn’t use it, and smell great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used the Nivea and the art of shaving for some time the art of shaving is better but pricier. I am ordering some zingari man right now to try and awaiting a new wholly kaw scent release to try one of theirs. Should be by months end. “Entropy man”

I've been using Nivea and it is good but I want to try something else as it is almost gone. I have some nice splashes and witch hazel but I find that my face dries out a bit and I need a nice creamy lotion a few minutes after I use a splash. I don't like gel kind if it leaves my face feeling sticky or tight. Something that smells awesome would be killer.

Gillette Sensitive Aftershave Gel. Smells awesome (a muted Cool Wave scent) and it works OK for a budget balm. It's not heavy at all.

afta After Shave Skin Conditioner is pretty good.
1579287414650.png

I've been using Nivea and it is good but I want to try something else as it is almost gone. I have some nice splashes and witch hazel but I find that my face dries out a bit and I need a nice creamy lotion a few minutes after I use a splash. I don't like gel kind if it leaves my face feeling sticky or tight. Something that smells awesome would be killer.
Make your own. Dissolve some menthol crystals with vodka and the aftershave scent of your choice. I use a blend of Gillette Cool Wave and Aqua Velva. Add 1 part menthol/after shave mix to 3 parts Dermasil or your favorite hand cream & mix well. You can refill your empty Nivea bottle with it.

Last edited:
I'm on the Stirling train for sure. But there's one aftershave that I love, but it burns. Captains choice cat o nine tails is a nice bay rum scent that will give you a great burning sensation but in a good way. After the burn dies down, your face feels so good. I love the stuff.

If you want something that has moisturizing properties,why not use an a/s with glycerin?
That’s what it’s made for. If something is making your face sticky, you should use a plain
alcohol splash.

Top Bottom