What's new

Need a gift suggestion..

We need to get a law school graduation gift for the daughter of an acquaintance. She's a pretty sophisticated lady that will be going to work for a major law firm in the Northeast and it would seem that a fountain pen would be an appropriate gift. This is a symbolic gift for someone that we hardly know (don't know the parents that well) and want to keep the cost to a max of fifty dollars. Any suggestions for a fountain pen in that price range would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Sheaffer Sagaris is a great pen, and just about in that price range (~$42-45). Very smooth writer with a classic, sophisticated look: metal barrel with a quality lacquer on it. I love mine but admittedly it is a little small in my hands, but have gifted one on a number of occasions to writers with smaller hands, and they have all loved it.

A little left field but how about one of the Kaweco sport models, like the AL, plus a clip. Great little pens, nice presentation case / tin and easy to clean, fill etc.

A lamy studio with steel nib would be appropriate for that work place, and can be had around that price if you search.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One problem with giving advice on this situation is that many (most?) of the people who post here are fairly serious about fountain pens as their writing instruments of choice. Getting one as a purely symbolic gift if you don't already know something about them, and aren't sure how much the recipient knows about them might be a bit tricky. You can certainly get excellent fountain pens for fifty dollars or less (even a lot less), and someone with a strictly utilitarian outlook might not spend more. Such pens, though, may be a bit basic, and not really have that graduation gift look that you want. And you probably don't want to get into restored vintage pens at this point.

Sorry if this sounds dismissive, but you may want to think of other gift possibilities. Getting a fountain pen because of the image this type of pen has for you, may not be the best reason. There are suggestions I could make for someone who is actually curious about fountain pens and wants a good starter pen, but I'm not sure that this applies to the young lady you're buying for. And if she already is into fountain pens, then it's that much harder for a non-pen person to pick something that would be new to her and which she would appreciate.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats to your friends and their daughter; they must be very proud. Fountain pens have a romanticism that is attractive, but they can also be temperamental. Nibs might be misaligned or in need of some kind of adjustment or smoothing. Hobbyists kind of expect that and are willing to deal with returns or a little tinkering to get everything right. Giftees, not so much - usually. The stereotype is new grad is gifted a fountain pen - often the cheapest one at Staples that looks “fancy”. Grad pops in a cartridge to give it a go and the pen doesn’t write, barely writes, skips, feels scratchy, or some combination of the above. Grad thinks “meh, fountain pens kinda suck” and throws it in desk drawer or the Goodwill box.

So to mitigate that scenario, I would recommend either buying from a local pen store, if you have one, or from an online retailer, that inspects - or better yet, tunes - the nib, to ensure it will work well straight out of the box. I know that nibsmith.com offers that service, even on fairly inexpensive Lamy pens. There are probably others, more likely nibmeisters instead of traditional retailers.

If you decide to forgo that added bit of assurance, I think your safest bet for a well working pen would be Pilot. They’re kind of the Honda of the pen world - sorta boring, but innovative and dead reliable. There are several models in the $50 range - Prera, Cavalier, Lucina - that would fit the bill for a classy gift. Neil Gaiman’s favorite fountain pens are Pilots, so you know, there’s that too, I guess.

I think that a Lamy Logo would offer a pretty good writing experience and look very professional and modern without standing out too much

Can't go wrong with Pilot. Every pen I've had from Pilot has been an incredible writer and great value. Also it was my first fountain pen which was a gift as well

In that price range...I don’t think that you will do better than the TWSBI Diamond 580!

It is a demonstrator pen (clear) that looks and writes better than its price point!

A highly sophisticated look and writing instrument! She will be very happy!

Perhaps add a bottle of Noodler Black with the catfish on the front, and she will be all set!!!

Vr

Matt

EDA8F247-5145-4690-AB32-EE42A9642555.jpeg

Top Bottom