What's new

Need a burr grinder. Which one?

got a refurb Baratza Encore grinder yesterday from their website. Fast shipping, i ordered tuesday night it was at my door thursday afternoon! Really nice grinder, and it looks brand new to me.
The first cup i made was better than any coffee i've made at home. The same coffee i've been drinking all week tasted much different, and better.
I am using a pour over now. I'm picking up a aeropress this weekend to try it out. Thanks for all the advice in this forum.

Whoo hoo! My second café enable!

Update: the Porlex hand grinder is really easy to clean, but doesn't get at all messy. So I'm often leaving it many days between cleans. (I understand that owners of electric grinders tend to leave it weeks or months between thorough cleans, so I should be OK.)
This is such an improvement over my electric blade grinder. I did feel a need to clean that every time, and it took ages because coffee got trapped around where the lid went on. It was also slow and messy transferring the coffee to the filter basket.
I have zero desire to "upgrade" to an electric burr grinder. It takes me 90s to grind enough for an espresso. It fits into the workflow perfectly. It's an enjoyable part of the 'ceremony'. I'd feel different if I was making many cups at once, I suppose.

That's excellent news Ray! I'm glad you're enjoying the Porlex. I don't know why I never think of that one when talking about hand grinders. Don't worry too much about cleaning it all the time, as long as you keep the burrs brushed clean, you should be good with an every other week cleaning.

Update: the Porlex hand grinder is really easy to clean, but doesn't get at all messy. So I'm often leaving it many days between cleans. (I understand that owners of electric grinders tend to leave it weeks or months between thorough cleans, so I should be OK.)
This is such an improvement over my electric blade grinder. I did feel a need to clean that every time, and it took ages because coffee got trapped around where the lid went on. It was also slow and messy transferring the coffee to the filter basket.
I have zero desire to "upgrade" to an electric burr grinder. It takes me 90s to grind enough for an espresso. It fits into the workflow perfectly. It's an enjoyable part of the 'ceremony'. I'd feel different if I was making many cups at once, I suppose.

I totally agree with your workflow comment. When only making a cup or two, hand grinding meshes into process to the point that it just feels right and does not feel like work. And there are usually little residual grounds left behind.

Top Bottom