What's new

Need a brush with better handle

I got the Semogue 1250 based on recommendations from here, it's probably not fully broken in yet but I do like it a lot. It doesn't smell at all. The brush is a nice size, not too big and I like the scrubbiness of the boar hair without being itchy.

However, I'm not crazy about the handle. First, i don't like always having to worry about keeping the wood dry so I'd prefer to have some other durable material that it's ok if it gets wet and stays wet. And second, i'd like to have a longer more comfortable handle so my hand doesn't get all slippery with lather. I also would prefer a more fun colored/design handle, but this is not a huge priority.

Can anyone recommend another brush for me?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow, don't know what to say except that the Semogue handle doesn't need to stay dry. For me, that 1250's plenty long (lots of my Simpson brushes have much shorter handles).

I guess you need a barber-style handle like an Omega or Vie-long, they're rather economical too.

1585357545343.png

Wow, don't know what to say except that the Semogue handle doesn't need to stay dry. For me, that 1250's plenty long (lots of my Simpson brushes have much shorter handles).

I guess you need a barber-style handle like an Omega or Vie-long, they're rather economical too.

View attachment 1079410

I saw that brush and thought it looked great, although it says its a 27mm knot. Do you think this brush is too large?

Resin handles are plentiful on shaving brushes. If you are ready to spend a little bit, I love the shape of the Simpson Colonel.

87523604-A5D6-4CA4-9CC5-DDBFE79573CB.jpeg

The 1250’s knot suits me fine. I gave away an Omega 10049 with the 27mm knot because it was way too much knot for me.

I think @nemo is right that the Semogue wooden handle doesn’t need any special care. I have never bothered to dry mine.

Sounds like an acrylic / resin handle with some nice colors and patterns would suit you. There are plenty of them out there, but many of them are similar in length to that Semogue handle.

You might browse this thread for ideas (beware!)

A few thoughts.

The Semogue 1250 is a beautiful little brush. At 22mm in diameter, the knot is smaller and not as dense as the boar Semogue Owners Club (SOC). The 1250 is somewhere between baby and mama bear from The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - when compared to the SOC.

Wooden handle are pretty darn durable and difficult to chip. Just pat dry the handle after shaving - takes a few seconds.

Omega, Semogue and Zenith all make wonderful boar hair brushes and any boar hair enthusiast should try all three brands.

Omega has models with larger handles and larger diameter knots - like the 10049 and 10098. There is a great photo of much of the Omega line on Omega Boar Brushes By Knot Size - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/omega-boar-brushes-by-knot-size.574838/ - at the Oct 5, 2019 mark.

Semogue uses different grades of boar hair. There is a great summary on another shaving site - so I won't post the link. But hear are the highlights:

1. Selected premium on the Semogue Owners Club (SOC). The SOCs have high density knots.
  2. Premium 90% tops on models 830 (22mm dyed, acrylic) and 1305 (22mm dyed, wood). The 1305 is considered iconic. People say that the paint on the 1305 does tend to chip.
  3. Best 90% tops on models 1250 (22mm), 1460 (21mm) and 1470 (21mm)
Semogue does not seem to make any models with handle much larger than the 1250, but the models with larger knots tend to just feel bigger - like the SOC. You should consider a SOC with a synthetic handle or an 830.

Zenith has numerous models with larger handles. You should consider a Zenith like the B23 (27mm, resin) and B28 (28mm, copper).

May your quest be fruitful!

A few thoughts.

The Semogue 1250 is a beautiful little brush. At 22mm in diameter, the knot is smaller and not as dense as the boar Semogue Owners Club (SOC). The 1250 is somewhere between baby and mama bear from The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - when compared to the SOC.

Wooden handle are pretty darn durable and difficult to chip. Just pat dry the handle after shaving - takes a few seconds.

Omega, Semogue and Zenith all make wonderful boar hair brushes and any boar hair enthusiast should try all three brands.

Omega has models with larger handles and larger diameter knots - like the 10049 and 10098. There is a great photo of much of the Omega line on Omega Boar Brushes By Knot Size - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/omega-boar-brushes-by-knot-size.574838/ - at the Oct 5, 2019 mark.

Semogue uses different grades of boar hair. There is a great summary on another shaving site - so I won't post the link. But hear are the highlights:

1. Selected premium on the Semogue Owners Club (SOC). The SOCs have high density knots.
  2. Premium 90% tops on models 830 (22mm dyed, acrylic) and 1305 (22mm dyed, wood). The 1305 is considered iconic. People say that the paint on the 1305 does tend to chip.
  3. Best 90% tops on models 1250 (22mm), 1460 (21mm) and 1470 (21mm)
Semogue does not seem to make any models with handle much larger than the 1250, but the models with larger knots tend to just feel bigger - like the SOC. You should consider a SOC with a synthetic handle or an 830.

Zenith has numerous models with larger handles. You should consider a Zenith like the B23 (27mm, resin) and B28 (28mm, copper).

May your quest be fruitful!
The 1250’s knot suits me fine. I gave away an Omega 10049 with the 27mm knot because it was way too much knot for me.

I think @nemo is right that the Semogue wooden handle doesn’t need any special care. I have never bothered to dry mine.

Sounds like an acrylic / resin handle with some nice colors and patterns would suit you. There are plenty of them out there, but many of them are similar in length to that Semogue handle.

You might browse this thread for ideas (beware!)

Tremendous post! A lot for me to work with here...!

I got the Semogue 1250 based on recommendations from here, it's probably not fully broken in yet but I do like it a lot. It doesn't smell at all. The brush is a nice size, not too big and I like the scrubbiness of the boar hair without being itchy.

However, I'm not crazy about the handle. First, i don't like always having to worry about keeping the wood dry so I'd prefer to have some other durable material that it's ok if it gets wet and stays wet. And second, i'd like to have a longer more comfortable handle so my hand doesn't get all slippery with lather. I also would prefer a more fun colored/design handle, but this is not a huge priority.

Can anyone recommend another brush for me?
Craving Shaving on Etsy makes some nice custom resin handles that I enjoy a lot. They can last a lifetime, are comfortable, and look beautiful. Here are some pictures.

CS Mail Call 1.jpg
IMG_20190916_182606655~2.jpg

What is your targeted price? Does it have to be another boar brush?

Like @Frank Shaves mentioned, Zenith makes some excellent brushes. I recently purchased a Zenith B2 and can say it might replace my Proraso Pro as my favorite boar brush. It has an aluminum handle that will show some wear with use. I like it that way as I feel it gives the brush some character.

Zenith B2. 26mm - ~7 uses.
20200327_110319.jpg

You can also buy just a brush handle pretty cheap. Artisan handles are more expensive. You can find handles only from certain vendors for around $15. If you are a little handy, you can try restoring a brush. Here is a vintage Fuller with an Omega boar knot. 24mm.

20200328_074110.jpg

The Semogue 1250 is a Goldilocks brush, not too big, not too small. It can be used for both face lathering and bowl lathering. I think the wood handle is very comfortable. The wood is sealed with a clear finish, you don't have to worry about getting it wet. It's true you don't want to soak the handle by submerging it in water for minutes at a time. So, just soak the bristles in a mug of water and the handle will stay dry. Squeeze out the excess water when done shaving and the handle will be good for years.

I have tied semogue, omega and most recently zenith. I have to say for the price of an owners club, I would nudge almost anyone to try a zenith. Not as much handle material selection, but they are decent sized, well crafted and hard to believe they aren’t broken in right out of the box. Check out the gentle shave website if you are in the US.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Of course get any handle you like. My favorite handle is the SOC wood handle (I like the cherry). I have been using them for many, many years and have never had any trouble with the wood. I shake the brush (whip, really) to get most of the water out, but I don't even dry the handles.

I do have a more fancy SOC with a synthetic handle. It has a wonderful knot, but the handle is a little too small for my taste.

So get what you want, but I wouldn't spend much time worrying about a Semogue wood handle - my 5 have all been bullet-proof.

Top Bottom