What's new

Need a bit of info please

After recently visiting my family in Europe, I had the honor of saving 4 beautiful vintage razors from my grandfather. He passed away in 2003 and have forgotten about what a daily DE shaver he was all his life (even while serving in WW2).
Anywho, these would have ended up in the trash, once my 94 year old grandmother passes.

3 of the razors I saved are somewhat known to me: a 1956 Red Tip Gillette, a FRIMU razor and a YUMA razor. The forth one is the one thay stumped me. It resembles close to a Rotbart or a Tabula Rasa Huszár Hungarian razor.

But it's neither, I guess, because of the flat part the razor blade sits on.

Also, no markings whatsoever on the whole razor.

Maybe someone here (one of the wise folks) can look at the picture and definitely confuse me some more .

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Csaba,[1]

Attachments

• IMG_20171129_195119.jpg
    IMG_20171129_195119.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20171129_195047.jpg
    IMG_20171129_195047.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20171129_195134.jpg
    IMG_20171129_195134.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 106
Hopefully, you will get an answer. You may want to post this or ask to have it moved to the DE subforum where you may get more answers.

Hopefully, you will get an answer. You may want to post this or ask to have it moved to the DE subforum where you may get more answers.
Thanks for the tip. But who do I ask to have this moved to the right forum, sub-forum? Or do I just paste and copy it somewhere?

R

romsitsa

Never saw such a flat comb with any inscription so the manufacturer is impossible to track down. My guess is it's German, as some four piece pocket sets come in made in Germany cases.

Adam

Never saw such a flat comb with any inscription so the manufacturer is impossible to track down. My guess is it's German, as some four piece pocket sets come in made in Germany cases.

Adam
Knowing that my grandfather was born in 1914 in Romania and did "travel" to Germany during WW2, it could be from either country.
It also looks identical to a Romanian razor made by Cooperativa Precizia in Arad (Romania), EXCEPT FOR THE FLAT PART the razor sits on. Most all clones are somewhat rounded Combs, while this is flat.
Knowing that these are very old razors (according to my grandma my grandpa only purchased one razor while they were together from 1945, and that was the Red Tip Gillette). That means that this specific razor would date from pre-1945. And the Yuma was purchased by my Mom from Turkey in the 90s as a gift for my grandpa, so I know he only shaved with the Frimu (open and closed comb combo razor), the Red Tip and this one specific razor.

I figured it would be a very long shot of identifying this razor. That said, I am sending out all 3 for revamping and re-plating, because that way I have a little something else reminding me of my grandpa. And I will definitely put them to use. If he used these razors all his life (and all razors, except the YUMA had Wilkinson blades in them still, right until I received the razors), I think I will keep them working and pass them down to my 3 year old, when time comes.

Last edited:
Knowing that my grandfather was born in 1914 in Romania and did "travel" to Germany during WW2, it could be from either country.
It also looks identical to a Romanian razor made by Cooperativa Precizia in Arad (Romania), EXCEPT FOR THE FLAT PART the razor sits on. Most all clones are somewhat rounded Combs, while this is flat.
Knowing that these are very old razors (according to my grandma my grandpa only purchased one razor while they were together from 1945, and that was the Red Tip Gillette). That means that this specific razor would date from pre-1945. And the Yuma was purchased by my Mom from Turkey in the 90s as a gift for my grandpa, so I know he only shaved with the Frimu (open and closed comb combo razor), the Red Tip and this one specific razor.

I figured it would be a very long shot of identifying this razor. That said, I am sending out all 3 for revamping and re-plating, because that way I have a little something else reminding me of my grandpa. And I will definitely put them to use. If he used these razors all his life (and all razors, except the YUMA had Wilkinson blades in them still, right until I received the razors), I think I will keep them working and pass them down to my 3 year old, when time comes.

I can't help you identify the razor, but kudos to you for rescuing and restoring these heirloom razors. :thumbup1:

thanks. funny thing: while I was shaving this morning, my 3 year old decided to try out the Yuma. Just so he can imitate Daddy, he said :001_smile. He got his new toy, I guess. Best "Christmas gift" ever for him lol

Here are the beauties I saved from my Grandfather. The C3 Red Tip, the open/closed comb FRIMU romanian razor and the mistery "flat comb razor". All had Wilkinson blades in them. Oh, and I found 3 unopened boxes of White Wilkinson blades too. My Grandpa would be very happy to know these babies will live out a long life after they are revamped and replated.

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_181820.jpg
    IMG_20171130_181820.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20171130_181756.jpg
    IMG_20171130_181756.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20171130_181856.jpg
    IMG_20171130_181856.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20171130_181845.jpg
    IMG_20171130_181845.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
The one that I have from Precizia Arad is a standard 3-piece razor, that opens normal, from the top, and not from the bottom. But the handle looks pretty similar. If I would have to guess, I would say that it's made around here, in Eastern Europe. But where... Hard to tell without any markings.

IMAG0250.jpg

SmurfK, you are absolutely right. The handle is mostly identical, although mine opens from the bottom, and the comb teeth are curved while yours are straight compared to the razor base. I might just name mine the Mistery Razor lol

This is such a great story giving your son the razor. It brings back great memories. My Dad gave me an old SS that was out of whack and he would lather me up and I would shave while he shaved then get a splash of Lillac Veg. No wonder I still do this today. Great story on Grandpa too. It's so important to know family history and pass it on.

The present is a gift. The past should be kept as reminders of these gifts. The future should be guided by what we received. Really enjoyed this post. Great story

well, if anyone else needs some guidance on sending something off for re-plating to Razor Emporium, here's my 2 cents:

I sent the 3 razors out, and had to call them a few times to get an honest answer on the status. during my last conversation with Matt, the owner, he said that "Oh, yeah, I remember your order. I actually just finished it today, but have some bad news: one of the handles cracked when I put the bottom knob back in". HE FREAKIN BROKE APART THE HANDLE on the FRIMU razor. Same razor that survived World War 2 while my Grandfather had it. The same razor that is very unique and EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND. And on the order itself I noted "Please use extreme caution and handle with care".

What a joke this guy is! And he said "I should probably refund you the charge for this razor".

I could literally strangle this "expert in vintage razors". This is the exact way I got this razor back from them today.
WIN_20171230_15_14_02_Pro.jpg

Now what? Where in the world will I find another handle for my grandfather's FRIMU?

I'll bite my tongue about Razor Emporium...
But that mystery razor of yours looks a lot like a LeResche from France.
The long bottom shaft and the way the cap attaches is similar.

It looks like it's zinc. At least that's what that guy said from RE. I think I found another razor that has the same handle on the Bay. But it does not have the FRIMU brand engraved.

And by the way, who is this mystical, mythical person you all call "Capt"? :001_smile

I'll bite my tongue about Razor Emporium...

I wish you had said where you were sending it. Or maybe you did and it got missed.
I am really sorry about your damaged razor. If you search Razor Emporium you can see other people's experiences with them including myself.

I wish you had said where you were sending it. Or maybe you did and it got missed.
I am really sorry about your damaged razor. If you search Razor Emporium you can see other people's experiences with them including myself.
I'm just mad that a 100 year old razor got destroyed because of his incompetence. And Matt, the owner, said that he was the one that broke it trying to put the base knob in there. And he said that the head looks great! I'm just mad. I read up on them and all their newer reviews and figured to give them a shot, thinking they turned the corner and learned from all their crappy 2012-2014 years. To be fair though, the Red tip and the "mistery razor" turned out great. However the Frimu (the open and closed comb combo razor) is trashed, because the handle is broken into 3 pieces. I'm just hoping I can buy another razor with the identical handle so I can still use it. I guess I learned my lesson with RE. Never again. And I do have 3 more beauties I want to send out. I guess I have to find someone else for re-plating.

Top Bottom