What's new

Neck whisker direction

Hi all,

Just a quick one around neck irritation.

I am still having constant red irritation on my neck post a shave, primarily to the left and right of my Adam’s apple. I have just tried to re map my beard direction and can see that on the right of my Adam’s apple it seems to grow in several directions. I guess the best option here is to shave in the primary direction of growth, as I think it would be nigh on impossible to map each part correctly.

Thank you

Neck can be tough, especially on either side of the Adam's apple.

I've given up trying to figure out which way it grows, and forget about BBS. If I can get a smooth face-feel (neck-feel?) when I run my hand north to south on my neck, with no post-shave irritation, that's a win.

Mapping the neck was particularly challenging for me as the whiskers there are all over the road as far as direction.

Ulitmately, I have done as you've suggested and chosen to shave in what appears to be the predominant direction in each area and not worry too much about outliers. That approach has served me well for many years.

Incidentally, what that looks like for me is horizontally (left to right) across the neck til just past the apple then pretty much straight up for the most part on the right side.

I have similar problem. Don't know if this will be helpful at all but here's what works for me:

I start at bottom shaving upwards to midway up neck and then start at my chin and jawline and shave down to meet where I stopped the previous up strokes. I pull the skin to the left and then right so I can shave the adam's apple skin where it is flat on either side.

Then I shave at a 45 degree angle from outside bottom of neck upwards towards my chin (again for other side). Then from my ear downwards at 45 degrees towards the center under adam's apple (again for other side). Then I use my left hand forefinger and thumb to spread the hollow areas on either side of adams apple and shave those swirly spots L to R and R to L and maybe another Up and Down stroke. Way too many strokes so I have to be really, really light with no pressure - then I don't get irritation.

Anyway ... I'm finally getting those areas really smooth and no redness and no irritation.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My Adam's apple is quite prominent so as described above I pull the skin to the left and right and shave either side. I also swallow so that my Adam's apple rises, and then hold the swallow long enough for me to flatten and shave the area below. I repeat the swallow and hold procedure as often as necessary to get the desired result. It takes a bit of practice but works for me 👍

Half seems to just to just be straight, the other half decides to turn like 30-45 degrees and I'm just like...why?
If I want bbs, it'll take multiple ATG passes. So far the only non-irritating way to do that was with my shavette using proguards.

I shave daily so for my throat I follow this pattern:

WTG: First pass for me is South to North.
XTG: On either side of my Adams Apple I pull the skin and shave across outwards from my AA. In order to obtain a BBS I need to shave North to South which I no longer do. No irritation that way and I'm happy with the results.

Just a quick one around neck irritation.

I am still having constant red irritation on my neck post a shave, primarily to the left and right of my Adam’s apple. I have just tried to re map my beard direction and can see that on the right of my Adam’s apple it seems to grow in several directions. I guess the best option here is to shave in the primary direction of growth, as I think it would be nigh on impossible to map each part correctly.

Mapping the neck was particularly challenging for me as the whiskers there are all over the road as far as direction.

Ulitmately, I have done as you've suggested and chosen to shave in what appears to be the predominant direction in each area and not worry too much about outliers. That approach has served me well for many years.
Daily and shower shaver here.

XTG: First pass for me is South to North.
ATG: Second pass is R to L, moving up slightly as I go, kind of a Buffalo to Seattle direction.
For the cleanup/buffing pass I basically draw an "X" over any remaining stubble.

That gets me to the edge of BBS/DFS without irritation, and I don't chase the baby. I'm content with what I get.

I'm an every other day shaver due mostly to not having enough stubble in the 24hr range to get a non-irritating shave. This is also due to being able to attain an average 18-20hr BBS shave every time out so I don't get the "afternoon shadow" until somewhere in the 34-36hr range.

My neck growth is pretty much the same all the way across and grows in a R-L direction and lays very flat on my neck.

1st pass - WTG N-S
2nd pass - ATG R-L
3rd pass - XTG S-N

I have found if I follow this pattern every shave out, without variation, I am rewarded with a very long standing BBS shave and can't stress enough that skin stretching is one of the most important parts to achieving my goal successfully each time. As to shaving around the adams apple I have found the best success has been to turn my head in the opposite direction of the side of it I am shaving as the neck flattens when I do that.

My hair grows in circular directions around teh adams apple area. Beard mapping is totally useless. What are you gonna do twirl the razor around in a circle for "WTG"? Only thing that works for me is to shave in one direction over relaxed skin so that you don't shave it too closely. Nobody is noticing any longer hairs in that area, anyway. The rest of the face, take as many passes as it pleases you, but leave those adams apple spots alone after one pass.

Top Bottom