What's new

Neck troubles

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm a five pass shaver. On my neck, it's down wtg, up atg, sideways inward towards the Adams Apple, then...xtg diagonal in both directions. For me, that combination covers all the growth patterns that are present. I use Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave as a pre-shave on my first pass.

My neck was always my trouble are with irritation and weepers and nicks. But, my routine and ability have evolved where all those problems have faded away.

Cold water shaving helped minimize irritation for me. Pre-shave helps. Not chasing BBS is also key. Although, having said that last part, I almost always end up with a BBS.

I also learned that shaving every day wasn't a necessity...at least...it wasn't for me.

JCarr- you sound like me! I have to do a ton of passes to get my neck well. The other thing that helped me was trying different blade formats. I was getting great results with Artist Club on my face, but it was terrible with leaving stubble around my throat. I think the problem was they were too wide and I couldn't get into a concave area. Five different blades and three different AC razors weren't as good as the first time I tried a Gem. I think it is because the Gem blade is narrower.

I'm a five pass shaver. On my neck, it's down wtg, up atg, sideways inward towards the Adams Apple, then...xtg diagonal in both directions. For me, that combination covers all the growth patterns that are present. I use Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave as a pre-shave on my first pass.

My neck was always my trouble are with irritation and weepers and nicks. But, my routine and ability have evolved where all those problems have faded away.

Cold water shaving helped minimize irritation for me. Pre-shave helps. Not chasing BBS is also key. Although, having said that last part, I almost always end up with a BBS.

I also learned that shaving every day wasn't a necessity...at least...it wasn't for me.

Once again, brother @JCarr is on the money.

This is all very good guidance but two things in particular standout.

First, for all shavers greenhorns and salty veterans alike...knowing when to stop is crucial. The temptation to over-shave is seductive and hard to resist. Doing pass after pass, endless buffing, etc. chasing those last two whiskers or whatever is a sure-fire path to misery, IMHO. There are just gonna be days when you need to stop, towel off, and resolve to try something different the next day.

And second, cold water shaving can be a massive game changer. It was positively transformative for me. There are a lot of technical reasons normally given by it's adherents as to why it helps. I won't bore you with any of that but I will say that it was like night and day. All of my bad habits were suddenly revealed and once corrected left my face completely irritation-free.

I'll just add that plenty of people find the neck to be the 'last frontier' of their developing technique, so don't worry. Tons of folks on here, many of whom are far more experienced than yours truly, have been through this exact thing. Keep posting, keep reading. Trust me, it will pay off.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom